Hudson Valley Weekend Advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2003, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend and I are having a girl's weekend in Hudson Valley next weekend. We are staying at the Marriott in Tarrytown. We have two full days, Sat and Sun and will leave Monday early afternoon.

I've been reading through the posts and gathered some of the estate information and visited a few websites. Now I am a bit overwhelmed, there is more to do than I expected and would like some advice.

I would like to tie in visiting the a few estates, maybe two a day with the lighthouses and vineyards. There are lots of options and since we are staying in Tarrytown, what looks like the base of the valley I am trying to figure out a game plan.

Olana sounds very nice and I would like to include in our tour. My friend has strong Victorian taste so Wilderstein (Rhinebeck) seems fitting.

Any opinions on the lighthouses and vineyards? Recommendations on casual restaurants would be apprecicated.

Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 05:16 AM

If you like Greek food there is an great casual place on Main St & Broadway in Tarrytown called Leftiers, for Mexican right next door on Main St is Santa Fe-great Margaritas. Hope this helps.
Tracey
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 06:03 AM

As far as estate visiting, you should put Kykuit (the Rockefeller estate) at the top of your list. And, its starting point is less two 2 miles from where you are staying. You have a choice of three tours--a 2-hour house tour, a 2-hour garden tour or a combined 3-hour tour.
Wilderstein is interesting, but there are more interesting sites. Besides, Rhinebeck is a good two hours away from Tarrytown. Olana is also a goodly distance from Tarrytown.
You also might consider the recently opened Dia: Beacon Museum in Beacon, with its contemporary art. Also, the Storm King Arts Center (about 35 miles from Tarrytown), which has some wonderful sculture in a beautiful outdoor setting.
Want more?
There's Sunnyside (Washington Irving's home) and Lyndhurst (the Jay Gould Estate and the setting for the old Gothic soap opera Dark Shadows), both just a brief ride from your hotel.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 06:05 AM

PS: If you decide to go to the Rhinebeck area for a day, there's lots to see including the Vanderbilt Mansion and FDR's home and museum, both in nearby Hyde Park.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 09:56 AM

If I'm not mistaken Olana is in Hudson, NY which is probably 3 hours North of Tarrytown even further north than Rhinebeck.

Howard R is right, with the short time you have you should probably limit your travel time and enjoy the estates like Lynhurst and Kykuit that are right there in Tarrytown. I've also heard of another estate up near Cold Spring, NY (the name escapes me now, try a Google search on Cold Spring NY)that would be less than an hour drive.

Additionally, you might want to browse around Cold Spring and grab some lunch at the Depot. The town has lots of shops and stuff and is a really quaint little river town.

If your up to a cruise on the Hudson, I think Tarrytown has a boat that goes out from one of the marinas. Check out the NY waterways web site for info.

Have fun.

Good Luck
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 06:57 AM

Irvington, just south of Tarrytown is a cute town worthy of an hour or so, and certainly worth stopping by for dinner. There is a new restaurant on Main Street (the red hat or something with red in it) that has been packed every day since it opened -- we walked in without a reservation and decided not to wait for a table but it looked great, as did the menu. The IRvington park, though a bit manicured, is beautiful too. You usually need a park pass (on the weekends) but I'm sure if you went Monday there would be no problem. It is a nice place for a picnic.

In terms of the estates, I personally like Lyndhurst the best of all of the homes in the area -- I think this is because the recorded tour is very good. You press the button on the hand held recorder when you get to a spot with information. You have the option of putting in more numbers if you want more info. on a particular area or moving on -- you are not confined to a tour guide (i.e. you can go at your own pace, the tour quality doesn't depend on the guide you get). You can take a walk on the Aqueduct trail from Lyndhurst into Irvington. The trail is a gem.

Second to Lyndhurst, in my opinion, is Kykuit. The lands are quite extensive and when I was there there was a great art collection in the basement.

Up a bit further is Boscobel. I enjoyed that, but it wasn't that extensive -- the best part of it was the view (of West Point and the lower Hudson valley).

I differ from the person who posted about the Greek restaurant in Tarrytown. ALthough it is quite popular, I was very disappointed by the food. There is a market in Tarrytown (gourmet -- pricey!) that would be a nice place to pick up sandwiches, etc.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 07:04 AM

http://www.hvnet.com/houses/olana/

This is to give you an idea of Olana and how very nice it is to visit.
Olana is before the actual town of Hudson and not that far from Rhinebeck. Which is about 2 hours north of NYC .(unless I am just going by the speed in which we arrive due to my husbands fast driving)
If in Rhinebeck I would recommend drinks at the Beekman Arms, oldest Inn in America..dinner at the Le Petit Bistro across the street.
Take a picnic and have lunch on the grounds of the Vanderbilt Mansion, in Hyde Park ( free) - you can pay and take a tour of the house if that is appealing to you. You can freely roam the grounds and get lost
We always go in the fall and do the apple picking, summer there are always fairs and flea markets that are fun to go to.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 07:42 AM

Two good websites for info about the Hudson Valley are:
http://www.hudsonvalley.org
http://www.hvnet.com
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 10:30 AM

This past month, I just did much of what was discussed above. {You can click on my name above and find the trip report.} My favorite part of my week in the Catskills was the day we spent at Mohonk Mountain. You need reservations to get 'through the gates.' I recommend making lunch reservations for you and your friend, then take a hike on their property - maybe even a row-boat ride across the beautiful lake (no charge), and then get back to the hotel for 4:00 PM tea. Take lots of film for you WILL want pictures. I love this area of the country and hope you have a terrific trip.
Web Address: www.Mohonk.com