Hudson Valley N.Y. Info

Old Jul 31st, 1999, 03:56 AM
Barry Karesh

Hudson Valley N.Y. Info

Looking for interesting town(s) to poke around in located in the lower part of the Hudson Valley, i.e. Garrison, Stony Point, Cold Spring. Specifically we'd like recommendations for places with a quaint downtown to stroll, nearby inn or B&B, nice restaurants. I've only read about the above named towns, so I'd love more details from someone who has more first hand information.

Old Jul 31st, 1999, 06:29 AM
Heather B.

Tarrytown & Sleepy Hollow are both historic towns. Can visit Lyndhurst, former home of Jay Gould, which is right on the Hudson River. Also, Sunnyside, Washington Irving home site. Old Dutch Church of Sleepy Hollow is more than 300 years old & features prominently in Irving's tale of the headless horseman. Then there's Phillipse Manor, a working mill, where you can also get tours to the Rockefeller estate. And many antique shops on main street.

Old Jul 31st, 1999, 11:54 AM
howard

I recommend the website hvnet.com. Lots of helpful and interesting info on placeds to visit.
All the sites previously mentioned are worthwhile, especially Kykuit (the Rockefeller Estate) which is magnificent.Another interesting town is Rhinebeck, about 1 1/2 hours north of Tarrytown/Sleepy Hollow along the Hudson.
West Point is definitely worth a visit, as well, plus many, many restorations.
hvnet.com will tell you all about them.

Old Jul 31st, 1999, 09:22 PM
Decent Tropical

Check out http://www.peekskillinn.com

It looks like a nice place w/ beautiful views of the Hudson

Old Aug 2nd, 1999, 03:16 PM
howard

Another good Hudson Valley website:
www.hudsonvalley.org

Old Aug 6th, 1999, 11:50 AM
mwg

For the lower Hudson, I think that Cold Spring would be your place. A very nice place for strolling (with nearby hiking and right across the river from West Point). Tarrytown has all these interesting things which were pointed out but it is much larger and is really not quaint. Stony Point has a revolutionary war battlefield but nothing much else. There's beatiful countryside around Garrision but not really a town to stroll in. somewhat to the North is Rhinebeck, which is also a nice strolling town, with shops and restaurants. Good luck.