Hudson River Valley with kids

Old Jan 4th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hudson River Valley with kids

We are planning a summer visit to Cooperstown and thought we'd visit the Hudson River Valley for a few days. Are there any recommendations for lodging with kids (boys,age 9 & 11)? I am interested in Mid-Hudson towns so I can see the mansions but we can also do some walking/hiking. Upper and Lower would be okay though too.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 07:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife and I will travel in August with our 2 year old son to the Hudson Valley. Given his age, a B&B is out of the question, but we were looking at a Courtyard, Ramada Inn, or Holiday Inn in the Kingston area.

Our preliminary itinerary includes the following kid-friendly stops.

1. Storm King Art Center
2. Minnewaska Park (west of New Paltz)
3. Kaaterskill Falls (near Kingston)
4. Rhinebeck Aerodrome

Would anyone recommend these sights for a toddler? Are there toddler-friendly, local lodging options out there besides the national chains? We can travel further up into the Northern Catskills, but not as far north as Albany.

Old Jun 27th, 2007, 08:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd look in the Poughkeepsie area, there are the usual chains, we've stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn which I like as you have a kitchen and with two boys, that might be a great asset. There's also a Super 8 in Hyde Park that we recently stayed at, which was fine.

This location would give you access to the Vanderbilt Mansion and FDR library as well as the Rhinebeck Aerodome and you're not too far from parks for hiking.

For non-chain places, the Beekman Arms in Rhinebeck is supposed to be lovely, but expensive.
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 07:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife, 2-year old son, and I returned from our trip which included a soggy overnight stay in Kingston. We did find a kid-friendly restaurant in Rhinebeck called "Double O's Grill" which is on Route 9W just north of the Rhinebeck town limits. High chairs and kid's menus are available. The large salads were a pleasant dinner option after a decadent lunch of Dallas Hot Weiners (with everything) in downtown Kingston.

We stayed at the Kingston Courtyard in the Hudson Valley mall, which was brand new and clean. Our drive to Kaaterskill Fall was scenic, despite the road maintenance delay. However, we decided to visit the top of the falls, rather than the bottom due to the rainfall.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 07:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rent a house? Usually they are weekly rentals, but perhaps you can squeeze something in.

http://www.vrbo.com

Old Oct 17th, 2007, 03:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Holiday Inn Express on 44 is in Poughkeepsie - just down the road from Marist College..on family / football weekends it is usually full but we used to stay there on our weekends to the area..when the Beekman Arms was full. There is an old hotel in Hudson , right in the middle of town..can't remember the name but it was ok too.
The Aerodrome is wonderful for kids and adults.
There are usually weekend events up there during the fall/around Halloween..
Greigs Farm on 9 - pick your own pumpkins, pet the cows buy fresh baked goods and buy some great jams and honeys..
Take a picnic to the Vanderbilt Mansion and let the boys tumble down the hill LOL mine did but not intentionally one year..I miss going there, I never tired of the views and the area..

http://www.rhinebeckchamber.com/