Reload this Page >

Hudson river area drive

Search

Hudson river area drive

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 09:25 PM
foggy

Hudson river area drive

I will be driving through this area and want need to decide what can be seen in the time I have available. I will be leaving Philadelphia about 8AM and plan to camp in the Woodstock area the first night and arrive at Lake Placid area by about 5PM the following day (meeting friends). Can I see West Point, Hyde Park, Kingston, and Woodstock in one day? Other better recommendations??

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 04:01 AM
x

You can certainly do West Point and Hyde Park on day 1. It means crossing the Hudson after visiting West Point and then crossing back to get to Woodstock.I don't think there will be time for anything else. You are looking at close to 5 hours travel time so that leaves about six hours to do the Point and Hyde Park. Just be sure to arrive at Hyde Park by 4:30 to allow sufficient time to tour the FDR home.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 04:53 AM
Karen

That's a lot of terroritory to cover in one day especially if you do want to do much more than just driving through.

From West point, through Hyde Park, through Kingston to Woodstock won't take you more than 2 to 3 hours total to drive though. It just depends on how much sight seeing you want to do.

There's not much to see at West Point except the Museum and maybe a quite tour of the grounds and a walk down to the river. Be warned that since 9/11, there are parts of the grounds you can't get on without proper ID or special passes.

To get to Hyde Park as the other poster says, you've got to cross the river, probably at the Bear Mountain Bridge, would be the easiest. You can hop on the Taconic Parkway or drive up Rt 9 to get to Hyde Park. It's a nice area especially as you follow Rte 9 up through Rhinebeck (cute little town). Probably the most visited places in Hyde Park are the Vanderbuilt and Roosevelt Mansions. These can take you as much or as little time as you like. Another thing to note in Hyde Park, is the Culinary Institute of America. They have several great resturants and you might want to make a reservation.

To get to Kingston, you will cross the Rhinecliff bridge. Not sure what you would want to do here. But there are shopping malls, movie theaters, touring uptown "historic" Kingston (which has the building where the first government of NYS met,can't remember the exact name). There are also Hudson River Cruises on the Rip Vanwinkle.

From Kinston, its only about 1/2 hour to 45 mins to Woodstock. So it is do-able. But its a long day with a lot of driving. Plus the drive from Woodstock to Lake Placid, the next day will take you about 5 plus hours in normal traffic.

Good luck and have a great time.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 04:53 AM
Howard

The previous poster is right in that you won't have time for everything. It should take you at least 3-3 1/2 hours to get from Philadelphia to the area of the Hudson Valley you want to visit. So, figure you'll have that first afternoon for touring. And there's more than enough to see and do in West Point and Hyde Park (FDR's home and museum and the Vanderbilt Mansion) in that time.
Then, you'll have a few hours the following morning for Woodstock and/or Kingston. There is an excellent 2-hour boat ride on the Hudson that leaves from Kingston. It departs at 11:30 and 2 each day.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 01:05 PM
foggy

Thanks for the responses. Maybe I should just skip westpoint and head across the River to Hyde Park. I am really not attached to any of these places, but thought they might be some highlights and would like to see the mansions. I do think it is a good idea to save Woodstock for the morning. Better suggestions for Hudson highlights are welcome! Thanks for the input.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 01:28 PM
Howard

When are you going? That area is magnficent during the October foliage season. Also there are a lot of restorations that are worth visiting.
Check out:
http://www.hudsonvalley.org
http://www.hvnet.com

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 02:09 PM
woodstocker

Hyde Park is nice, and I agree about Kingston, not much except for the boat ride and the Senate House. It only takes 15mins at most, to go up 28/375 to Woodstock.(Don't speed on rt.28!)The area around the Ashokan Resevoir is beautiful if you can get there. Woodstock is interesting with lots of good restaurants. From there take 212 toward Saugerties to get on the Thruway north (unless you take one of the more scenic routes).

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 03:53 PM
scarlett

If you go to Hyde Park, don't miss the Vanderbilt Mansion, just pass it on Rt9.Take a picnic and eat in on the grounds, you are allowed to go anywhere you want. It is sooo beautiful and the view of the Hudson River is wonderful.
Then on to Rhinebeck, home of the oldest Inn in America the Beekman Arms.Have a drink in their pub, an original room of the building, where Washington and his men met and planned things! In Rhinebeck is the Aerodrome, men flying old flying machines, it is a hoot to watch.
Try to eat at the Petit Bistro in Rhinebeck.Have a great time!

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 11:19 AM
foggy

These suggestions sound great. I am a history and nature lover and am not drawn to shopping outlets, or quaint shopping towns as much a just plain sightseeing and photography. I will their first week of October, so I hope some leaves are still on the trees.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 11:28 AM
Ben

Foggy, the Hudson Valley usually stays colorful through October, so there should be plenty to see when you're there.
BTW, I live in Albany, and the trees are already starting to turn just north of here.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 03:23 PM
r-travels

According to what time of day you're going to be in Hyde Park, you might consider having a meal at the CIA - Culinary Institute of America. I think you need reservations for most of their venues ... search for their website. Further up the Hudson is the city of Hudson, getting known for arts & antiques. You can probably find a hotel for less $ south of Albany, then continue your trip the next day ... with stops at Saratoga, maybe Lake George, and almost anywhere off I-87 for a nice lunch in a small town diner.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 11:35 AM
foggy

Sounds so nice I may get out of bed earlier in Philadelphia

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 11:43 AM
ciamom

It's easier to get reservations at the CIA during the week rather than weekends. You can get lunch (w/o reservations) at the Apple Pie Bakery on campus. Even if you don't want to eat, stop and see the building. Their website is ciachef.edu

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 04:01 PM
foggy

I will be doing this trip during the week--so will definitely try the CIA.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 04:39 PM
catskillmtns

We are going to the Catskills' in late Sept. Is there any B & B's in that area by the Rip Van Winkle Bridge. Would that be Green County? Also will the leaves be in full colors by then?

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 08:51 AM
Ben

The Rip Van Winkle Bridge connects Catskill in Greene County with Hudson in Columbia County. Color should be good in late Sept., though peak in the Hudson Valley usually occurs in Oct. Check the state's website - www.iloveny.com - for updated foliage reports.

Old Oct 7th, 2003, 01:31 PM
ConstanceZ

Which restaurant at the Culinary Institute of America should I choose to eat at?