Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

how would you spend twelve hours on Maui?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We only have twelve hours to see Maui in February. Arriving at Kahului airport at 8:25am, and departing there at 8:05 pm. After renting a car, how would you spend your day?
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 04:37 PM

You don't say if you have ever been to Hawaii before. This is a tough question, we spent 8 nights on Maui and put 750 miles on the rental car. I am one of those "pro" trip to Hana posters, who feels the trip ALL THE WAY around to see the diversity of the island is not to be missed!!!!! You go from one side of Haleakela which is the rainforest and very lush and green to the other side which is bare and brown and desertlike. It is an incredible contrast, and you see soooo much of Maui on this drive. You can end it at the winery, and back to the airport. On the drive to Hana you see a bit of everything, waterfalls, ocean views from very narrow roads. Black sand beaches, the seven sacred pools. If I only had 12 hours, this is a way to see diversity at its best.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 04:38 PM

My husband would say: golf upon arrival, golf after lunch and golf prior to departure ... me, I'd say show me the ocean, the waterfalls, the whales, the EVERYTHING. I would put as many miles on my rental car as possible.

Unfortunately, we won't be heading there until this weekend so I have no serious suggestions for you at this time. But this is a great forum and I'm sure someone will respond soon.

Old Jan 11th, 2005, 04:44 PM
droolpatrol

The drive to Hana, while worthwhile, probably would take most of your day. I would check out the Iao Valley (not sure if I spelled that correctly) upon arrival. Then drive to Paia to pop in and out of stores, peoplewatch, have some lunch. From there you can explore the upcountry (Makawao, Haleakala) or head down to Big Beach south of Wailea. I vote for the beach. But then I always will. All in all zaneyjaney (great name), not a bad dilemma to have.

Old Jan 11th, 2005, 05:43 PM

You didn't list your interests. I'm not sure I would want to spend my day in the car. If you like to stroll/shop go to Lahaina, wander around,take the America II sailboat ride, dine outdoors at Io or Pacifico.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply's! Twelve hours on Maui for first time visitors is totally unfair, but I won't complain further...
I've heard the road trip to Hana is awesome, but maybe save it for another time. Driving over to Lahaina from Kahului can be crowded, huh? I like the black beach idea!!!! Is there only one on Maui?
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 06:46 PM

Sancarlosdoc
How is the America II ride ? Do they let it rip ? I think an afternoon sail when the trades are blowing would be wet & wild
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 06:52 PM

I'd drive up to Haleakala, stopping in Makawao to check out the little shops, then would have an early dinner at Mamas (if I could get out of there by 6Pm, not sure of their dinner hours). If I couldn't have dinner at Mama's, I'd spend the afternoon in Paiea or at a beach along there.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 07:52 PM
gyppielou

I would head to Paia for bfast at Charlies. Fully loaded, we would then head to Hana, hang at redsands beach, clothing optional, blacksands beach, and venus pool. Stop by the Hana Hotel for wasabi french fries,check out their art gallery, and then head back leisurely. Watch the windsurfers north of Paia. Do some shopping in Paia, and then either have dinner at Mama's Fish House or Hailimaile General Store(sashimi nepolean), with a quick tour of Makawao while the shops are still open, if time permits, happilly full, drop the car of and fly into the night.