Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How to spend rest of week after weekend in LA?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I will be taking two teenage girls to LA to visit brother in April. He lives in Los Feliz, and we will be spending the weekend doing area things with him.
Any thoughts on hotels in that general area?

We will have the rest of the week to explore.
I am looking at maps and trying to come up with an itinerary.
Girls love shopping, but I would like to limit that somewhat.

We will have a car and we are willing to do some driving, within reason.
I need ideas for things to do and hotels to stay in (preferably under $300.00).

Not sure if it makes more sense to head towards Orange County, or to go North. We are flying in and out of LAX.

It is hard to figure the distances between locations, in both miles and time.

Weather is also confusing- not sure if hotel pools and beaches should be important in our hotel search or not?

Thanks for any input.

Old Mar 17th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Can any one help?
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 08:15 AM

Los Feliz looks centrally located, you have a lot of options. You could head over to the coast to Santa Monica (maybe Venice Beach) and stay over there. Westwood Village (near UCLA) is another nice area. I don't have specific lodging recomendations as I stay with relatives when I'm in Southern CA.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 09:12 AM

I'm having problems finding where Los Feliz is.

Do you mean the street, or is there actually a town/city by that name? If a town, where is it located: San Fernando Valley, San Gabriel Valley, Orange County?

LA metro is so huge that it's hard to give suggestions without knowing what "area things" you will be doing with your brother.

If it is Los Feliz street, do you mean you will be visitng Hollywood? Santa Monica?

Please give us a few more hints, so we can make better suggestions.

BTW, do you know how to use Priceline?
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 09:23 AM

Griffith Park is there:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Fel...es,_California
I think cpeicott wants to stay in another area after she visits her brother in the Los Feliz district.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 11:21 AM

I don't know of a hotel near Los Feliz, it's really a residential area. You could probably stay at a hotel in Pasadena, that wouldn't be too far.

For the rest of the week, I would stay in Santa Monica. I don't think pool/beach should be a factor, the water won't be warm enough. But it may be warm enough to sun on the beach.

There's tons of shopping in that area too. If you wanted to get out of LA, I'd go south to Orange County and stay in Laguna Beach. Lots of shopping there too.

There is tons to do in LA, so let us know what else you're interested in.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Hi,
Thanks for the input. Sorry for any confusion.
My son (daughter's brother) lives in a neighorhood called Los Feliz, which is located at the end of Sunset Blvd. Not too far from the Hollywood sign.
I know that there does not seem to be hotels right there, but I would like to be in a relatively close area to there in a hotel that would be considered "cool" by teenage girls. So I am looking for suggestions for that hotel.

Then, my son will be working Mon- Fri, so at that point I will leave that area and head somewhere else with the girls.....

Maybe stay in one place, or try 2 different areas and hotels.Laguna is one area that interests us. We have been there briefly before and found it beautiful.
Any hotel reccomendations for there?
Is Newport beach a similar area? Which would be a better choice? Is there much to do in that area once we get the shopping out of the way?

If we do three nights near my son and 2 nights on the coast, we still have 2 more nights to spend somewhere and maybe see some other area?

Interests: I really like to see as much as there is to see in any one area. In addition to shopping, I would like to do outdoor things, general sight seeing, art, etc.
I have thought about: Catalina Island, horseback riding in Griffith park,magic show at the Magic Johnson Theater.
Any thoughts about these, or any other suggestions are much appreciated!

Old Mar 17th, 2007, 03:07 PM

You might consider either the Renaissance Hotel or Roosevelt Hotel in Hollywood to stay while visiting your son (they are near to the Los Feliz area). Also, you might consider making reservations at Griffith Park Observatory for just before sunset. It recently reopened after renovations ... Your son will probably enjoy it too.

Newport Beach is a great area ... shopping galore (Fashion Island and South Coast Plaza are the 2 main malls), Balboa Island is a fun place to walk around, have lunch or dinner, and do a bit of shopping. The Island Hotel, Hyatt Newport are both convenient hotels there in Newport. You can catch the Catalina Flyer out of Newport if you like.

Laguna would be good too. Laguna and Newport are close by to eachother (maybe a 20 minute drive down PCH), so you can visit the other town no matter which one you choose to stay at. I would choose Newport ... but that's just my opinion.

Have fun!

Denice
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Denice.
Curious: why Newport over Laguna?
I have never been to Newport, but I thought that Laguan was very pretty!
Thanks for pointing out that we could easily go to both- I wasn't sure just how close they were to each other.
Are either of the hotels that you mentioned on the water?
What exactly is Balboa Island?

Does anyone know how long it would take to get to LAX from either of these 2 locations? We have a rental car, and a noon time flight. Trying to decide if we would be better off staying closer to the airport the night before, though I imagine that we would have plenty of time in the morning as I would think rush hour would be over by the time we would have to be on the road.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 03:37 PM

If you like art don't miss the Norton Simon in Pasadena. How old are the girls?
If you go north Santa Barbara is nice.
What would you do in Orange County? Disneyland? It isn't that far.
A lot of people love to go to San Diego.
The weather is confusing lately so don't feel bad. A few days ago it was really hot. Today, it was cold in the morning with lots of wet fog and finally the sun has come out but it's still chilly. Just keep your eye on the internet weather reports.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 07:23 PM

I used to live in Newport so that is probably why it's my preference. Balboa Island is one of 9 islands in Newport Harbor ... it has a sidewalk that goes around it (about a 2 mile walk) along the bayfronts. It's a fun place to go, look at houses, shop, eat ... a nice way to spend an afternoon, or evening. You can take the ferry across from the Island to Balboa Peninsula ... there's a fun zone across the bay, and only 2 blocks or so to the pier.

Neither hotel I mentioned is on the water ... Balboa Bay Club would be on the water ... not sure of their prices.

I would plan a 2 hour drive to get from Orange County to LAX ... without traffic it would be about an hour, but there's usually traffic. And there is the carpool lane between OC and LAX. Disneyland is about 30 minutes away from Newport.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 07:50 PM

If your girls are teens or college years, I would definitely recommend the Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica, www.downtownsm.com They have good shopping, lots of places to eat, and fun performers. I have a daughter at UCLA and she really enjoys bringing out-of-towners there.
In Long Beach there is The Aquarium of the Pacific where you can pet sharks and is a nice size aquarium - easy to do in a couple of hours. The Queen Mary is also docked there (although I have not done a tour yet.) There are a few shops and eateries near the aquarium as well.
I am with you as far as Laguna goes. It is beautiful, the shopping and food are terrific, and you can sit on the beach with ease - what more could you want with girls in tow!
If you are willing to drive at bit, head down to San Diego and Coronado. San Diego is incredible and Coronado has quaint shops and the Hotel Coronado - which has a beautiful beach.
To be perfectly honest with you, we are recent transplants from Chicago, and although we still miss it, whatever you choose to do in SoCA will most likely be great. We have yet to visit a community that we haven't enjoyed. The only thing is - the traffic is heavy and constant, be prepared for that.
Also, if the girls insist on going to Beverly Hills, it is just plain expensive. A pair of Target type flip-flops run $40 and up. It's fun to see, but you most likely won't want to buy anything. Good people watching.
Hope this helps a bit!
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 08:20 PM

First, I would suggest you look into finding a hotel that heats its pool. When we went to Disneyland in November, we checked around extensively and found that the Anaheim Howard Johnson heated its pool well. We swam a lot with the kids. Having said that, I cannot recommend a specific hotel in Los Angeles proper, but I would spend some time on Trip Advisor, or call the hotels you're interested in and ask them their pool temps.

I would take them to a movie. Los Angelenos take their movies so seriously. I would look at something like askcity.com for Los Angeles or Hollywood, CA.

For shopping, what about Westfield Century City Mall? It is a nice outdoor mall. There are expensive stores, but there are also the ones they know and can afford too too.

Venice Beach is kind of a "scene." Google it and you'll see what I mean.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help!
The girls are both 17.
I think that I have narrowed the first hotel down to either the Roosevelt or the Renaissance, though they both have pretty mixed reviews.
Is one much nicer than the other? The girls want a "cool" hotel, though I imagine that we won't be in it all that much!
Then we will head south to Laguna or Newport.
Any additional thoughts on hotels there?

Is it worth going to Catalina Island (day trip) this time of year, or is everything there geared towards warmer weather?

We will be going to Disney. It looks like we can do both Disney and CA adventure in one day?

I have thought about heading to San Diego, would you reccomend staying over night there, or would it make more sense to stay in Laguna or Newport and do a day trip?

I know that I could map quest it, but I am really having a hard time judging distances, trying to take the famous traffic into account.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Both Hollywood hotels are sold out for the weekend. I never really thought that that would be a problem a month in advance......
Any suggestions on any other decent hotels in that location?
How likely is it that something will open up in the future?
We will be there on 4/13/07. Is there something special going on then?
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 10:10 AM

hi cpeicott,
You mentioned you'd like to do outdoor things - if so I think a trip to Catalina would be fun. The girls would probably like the boat ride, and when you get there, you can rent a golf cart to drive around. Or just walk around & hike. There are also some cute shops & restaurants there. The weather will probably be pretty nice.

Another fun outdoor activity they might enjoy is renting bikes on Santa Monica Beach - there is a long path that runs up & down the beach. They might like biking through Venice and seeing the outdoor booths there.

As far as hotels, try the Standard Hotel or the Sofitel. In Laguna Beach, try La Casa del Camino. I have heard good things about it from friends.

I'd probably just do San Diego as a day trip instead of switching hotels again, but it depends on what you want to see there. I'd say from Laguna, it would probably take about 90 minutes if traffic is ok. There are probably others on here who can give you a better idea though. It will also depend if you're driving down on a weekday or weekend.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 10:19 AM

Lolly is correct, a day trip to Catalina is great. My kids as preteens and teens really had fun (their mom too!). Though if anyone is prone to motion sickness, take something as a precation. I used "mostly" non-drowsy Dramamine and it did the trick.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Hi,
I was able to get the Sofitel Hotel for the weekend- looks great.
The Casa del Camino says that the rooms are only large enough for 2 people.
Anybody confirm this or offer otheer Laguna suggestions?
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 12:08 PM

That's great, cpeicott - I hope you like the Sofitel. Since I used to live in LA, I don't have much experience staying at hotels there, but I actually did stay at the Sofitel before. It was nice, and a great location near the Beverly Center - I'm sure 2 teen girls will like that! Plus I know they just renovated there restaurant/lounge/bar area, so it's supposed to be quite swanky now.

I don't know about the Casa del Camino - maybe call the hotel & see what they say? I just remember my friends telling me how lovely the rooftop patio was. But there is no shortage of hotels in Laguna/Newport, so I hope someone else has a better suggestion.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 04:15 PM

Laguna Beach is beautiful and much more interesting than Newport Beach, I think. Laguna was originally an "art" town so it is a bit funky but has become more sophisticated (and hence more expensive) over the last few years. I grew up there and it is one of my most favorite places on earth! My fave hotel is the Surf and Sand but it may be pricey. It is right on the beach and you can hear the ocean as you drift off to sleep. Wonderful!! Another more family oriented, older (but clean and fun and full of charm) is Vacation Village. I have friends that go back year after year and just love it. It is very simple, no room service etc. but it does have kitchenettes and again is right on the beach. Those are my two suggestions for Laguna. Newport is great, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't have the charm of Laguna. Besides, your teenage girls will love to tell their friends they were in Laguna Beach (after the tv show's popularity!) Also, if you are interested more in the west side of LA (great shopping on Montana Street in Santa Monica!) you could check out the Miramar Sheraton in Santa Monica. Great location. The Third Street Promenade is walking distance and while it is a fun place to poke around, it really is a little "seedy." Santa Monica has been very kind to the homeless and it has taken a toll on their retail areas. Also, Beverly Hills is lots of fun for teenagers. Again, very expensive, but fun to window shop. My 15 year old daughter has enjoyed all the areas I have mentioned. You can't go wrong!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -