Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How to spend a weekend in Idyllwild, CA?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 05:10 PM
Alisa

I have been told that Idyllwild is a lovely place to go for a romantic weekend. Any suggestions about things to do or restaurants in the area? We would be driving from LA.

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 05:29 PM
kam

All I know about Idyllwild is that it's the destination of the aerial tramway from Palm Springs (which is currently down for remodeling) and that it has a summer music camp. Maybe others can help, but may I suggest Big Bear Lake or Lake Arrowhead as lovely destinations from LA for a nice weekend. There are some nice B&Bs in Big Bear. Another place that comes to mind is Ojai or Santa Barbara, for sure. Post again if you want specifics.

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 05:31 PM
Paul

Yes, it is lovely and romantic. Go to idyllwild.com for an idea of places to stay and things to do. My favorite is the Quiet Creek Lodge (or similar name )which is located just outside of the town. Very quiet and romantic. In town, we have stayed at the Fireside Inn. We used to really enjoy the Charthouse but I think it is gone. When you get there you will get some great recommendations for restaurants. Hiking is a big activity in Idyllwild. Have fun.

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 05:01 AM
joanne

The school that the previous poster is referring to is called ISOMATA (Idyllwild School of Music and the Arts).

The summer sessions should be in full swing, and there are wonderful concerts to be heard. Check at ISOMATA and see if you can attend any of the concerts and theatre/dance performances going on. August is full of wonderful performances.

Have a wonderful trip! I have many fond memories of Idyllwild as a music camper