Reload this Page >

How to say hello in the USA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 08:29 AM
Simon

In the south of Europe, when you want to say hello to a person( different gender), you always give a kiss or two.Even if that's the first time that you meet that person.
In the US,in general, people don't kiss, they just shake hands...Even if it is the 10.000 time that they meet...
Well, this was back in the 90's, what about 2002?
Can I kiss my NYC friends or should I stay with the cold hand shake...
Thanks

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 08:36 AM
kissy

Kiss your friends,
shake hands with an acquaintance,
kiss both cheeks if you are(1)European (2) pretentious
Kiss the mouth if it is your lover*

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 08:54 AM
whoknows

It's time you realized that there's no one "right" way for Americans. We're a pluralistic society that contains a lot of cultures.

For instance, my wife, though born in the USA, is of Italian heritage, so she thinks it's OK to hug and kiss just about anyone. However, there are others who are horrified at the idea of hugging and kissing anyone, even family members. So there's no one right answer or group of answers.

And to further illustrate: My sons are in their 20s and take after their mother. When one of them comes to our house for a visit, they usually give me a kiss when they leave. Some outsiders who've witnessed that can't believe their eyes.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 09:46 AM
laughing

As an Italian born father with a good looking son in his 20's, I've experienced it all. We sometimes stroll down the street with our arms around each other's shoulders just as would be common in Italy. We've had other men come up to us and almost whisper, "can you tell me where the gay bars are?"
Men kissing in the US will get you stares at least, maybe even beat up.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 09:55 AM
bride

I came to NY from the West Coast and my husband was horrified when I touched other people...oh well, I learned to keep my hands to myself in the Big City.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 02:42 PM
charles

This depends on where you are. Kissing is very prevalent in the urban northeast, much less so elsewhere. My girlfriend moved from Denver to Boston, and finds the kissing thing totally confusing. Its quite funny to watch her running around saying "don't kiss me, don't kiss me! I don't know what I'm doing!"

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Hannah

The double air-kiss thing is such a load of pretentious crap. Please don't bore us with that garbage. A handshake is fine, if you washed after your last visit to the WC. Or should I say "latrine?"

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 03:17 PM
chill

Whoa-Hannah, relax! either you need kissing or you got kissed and didn't like it...but don't bring so much bitterness with you, it is a major turn-off,babe.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 04:19 PM
Chicagoan

How to say hello......just say "hey" or "hi"

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 06:10 PM
charles

Hannah,
Its not pretentious unless its done by pretentious people. Work on that inferiority complex.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 06:14 PM
Deb

Hannah, I find it quite charming. What I hate are limp-wristed "cold fish" handshakes that so many women give. Yuck!!!

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 06:44 PM
ImA

OOOOOooh me too! when women hand you this dead hand to hold the fingertips of....shudder....I just reach out and hold the other persons hand..easy and a lot more pleasant than the dead hand shake.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 05:15 AM
Kunta

If you be in the hood, you jus say Yo-Yo-Yo. What's be happenin?

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 05:41 AM
Obs.

Kissing is preferred, but in one of the three recommended styles: there's peaches positioning of the lips - or the prunes method - or if you know the person well, or would like to, there's the ever popular alfalfa technique. Give it a try - you'll see!

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 07:50 AM
kisskiss

I say- pucker up and kiss kiss,
you know how to pucker don't you?

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Joe

Just say "hiya doin". The "doin" should have just a little nasal tone.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 08:41 AM
sal

Shake hands if you can,
kiss if you must,
but whatever you do
NO TONGUES!

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 10:58 AM
Hello

I like the 'pluralistic' post. I have been hugged by people I have met for the first time and handshaked by family! You never know here in the U.S.

Nowadays, people don't even say Hi they say, Hey. What's next? Just the 'H' sound. To be safe if you are meeting them for the first time, shake hands and say whatever comes naturally to you ("it's nice to meet you" is always good and universally accepted) depending on the circumstances: business, friendship, future lover,etc.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 11:07 AM
huh?

O.K., I've got one for you -- if you say "HI" to a Japanese person, are they hearing "hello" or "yes"?

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 11:09 AM
xxxx

"'sup dog" (followed by a chest bump) This works especially for meeting people for the first time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -