how to safely take photos in NYC?

Old May 3rd, 2019, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to safely take photos in NYC?

Greetings!

this probably sounds a bit crazy. Is it normal and safe to ask strangers to take your photo with your smartphone or camera?

I am traveling alone and if I want to be in any of the photos, my options are selfies (never been good at taking them but I am planning on getting a selfie stick before my trip) or asking random people to take a photo. How safe is it? I mean I'd never think twice before asking someone in Tokyo and I often offer to take people's photos here when I see those who travel alone or even as couples. But I also know that in some parts of the world, you might end up having your camera or your smartphone stollen (my sister was on a camel in Egypt and a nice young boy took off with her camera . needless to say we have no photo of my sister on a camel!)

Would love to hear your thoughts or suggestions on what I can do. Especially, I want to take photos in the theater district. Hopefully with Broadway theaters and posters in the background.

Thank you!
Old May 3rd, 2019, 09:08 PM

Don't ask on the subway.

​​​​​​But seriously, tourists are the same the world over. Look for a couple also taking photos.

​​​​​​

​​​​
Old May 4th, 2019, 03:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 5alive
Don't ask on the subway.

​​​​​​But seriously, tourists are the same the world over. Look for a couple also taking photos.

​​​​​​

​​​​
If you hand your phone/camera to a stranger, you risk loss of phone/camera. Only ask someone taking pictures with an expensive camera who will have no need for yours. Or decide that you don't need to be in every picture of your trip just to prove you were there.
Old May 4th, 2019, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Only ask someone taking pictures with an expensive camera who will have no need for yours.
Look for a couple also taking photos.
A piece of solid advice that I am planning to follow. Thank you!
Old May 4th, 2019, 06:39 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
I’d err on the side of caution— especially with your phone when traveling.
Use your selfie stick and take pics, without needing to be in them.
Good advice above, also.
Old May 4th, 2019, 07:42 AM

I would find a couple or family who are taking photos and ask them or ask staff of the attraction or the like. I’m pretty trusting about this stuff.
Old May 4th, 2019, 08:10 AM

First, please forget the selfie stick. Seriously anti-social items.

Second, why do you need to be in the photos in the first place? This is actually a serious question, not snark. I have never seen how it improves a photo to put the photographer in the shot. But then I hate having my photo taken.
Old May 4th, 2019, 08:26 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
When I'm out and about by myself I bring along a somewhat outdated iPhone for photos that I ask other tourists to take of me, which isn't too often; my current iPhone stays buried in my tote. If an outdated iPhone gets stolen I am only out a few selfies, is my thinking. Even when traveling with DH and/or family I will only hand over my Canon to someone who also has an expensive camera, and usually not until they ask me to take their photo.
Old May 4th, 2019, 06:55 PM

At the risk of sounding obvious, set your camera timer to a 2-5 second delay. I was horrible at selfies too, but this makes all the difference.
Old May 4th, 2019, 09:47 PM
J62

"set your camera timer to a 2-5 second delay"

and then what? Put it down on the sidewalk in Times Square and hope nobody walks between you and the camera?
Old May 5th, 2019, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Got a selfie stick today . Not the best solution, but at least, I'll have that option.
Old May 5th, 2019, 07:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I would ask a family taking pictures if you take theirs, would they take yours.
Old May 5th, 2019, 07:38 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by minamax10
Got a selfie stick today . Not the best solution, but at least, I'll have that option.
really (?) -- terrible idea.
Old May 5th, 2019, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

really (?) -- terrible idea .
. . I am aware that some people use them in museums or theaters which I would not do personally, but for outside, say in Central Park or in front of a Broadway theater, I don't see how it would bother anyone. At least I hope it would not
Old May 5th, 2019, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

I would ask a family taking pictures if you take theirs, would they take yours.
. Yes, absolutely!
Old May 5th, 2019, 08:28 AM

A selfie stick in use says "I am as important as this view." Rarely the case, but when you turn your back to a sight in order to take your own picture, well . . .
Old May 5th, 2019, 08:35 AM

I’ve avoided the selfie stick when traveling. Last night we went to an event and saw two couples who had dinner at the same restaurant beforehand. One of the women asked us to take their pic as they had seen us at the restaurant beforehand.
Old May 5th, 2019, 08:39 AM

Asking people is usually fine and people in NYC are ordinarily happy to help -- just trust your instincts. Totally agree that selfie-sticks are horrible!
Old May 5th, 2019, 09:38 AM

I'm still wondering why you need a photo in front of a theater. And if you are on a sidewalk and not moving you are in the way.
Old May 5th, 2019, 09:45 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I take photos in NYC all the time. Selfies in front of theaters, including me solo and with friends, as well as photos I ask others to take for us. I agree with the suggestion to ask someone else nearby to snap a photo, especially if they are taking photos themselves. Sure, there's a risk if you ask a random stranger to take a photo they will run off with your phone, but very unlikely if you ask someone who is enjoying the same event as you. It's not complicated. I'd skip the selfie stick.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -