Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How to rest our feet for that long Hawaiian flight???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2004, 07:39 AM
M_J
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are flying from Atlanta to Hawaii. A long flight. What do you use or suggest for something upon which to rest and elevate your feet? Inflatable pillow? Beach ball? A product just for such long flights?
Thanks.
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 08:09 AM

Assuming you are flying Delta economy, you will not have any room for pillows, beach balls to rest or elevate your feet.

Not much else you could do, so just think about your destination and forget about the discomfort.

Have a great trip!
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 08:34 AM

Whatever you can stowe under the forward seat, can be taken out and used as a footrest after take-off is done. I've used my purse, and I've seen people use their briefcases.
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 09:10 AM

On an Air France flight we were on several years ago, they showed stretches that could be done at your seat that helped with comfort and circulation. I am sure if you "googled" such a topic, you could find them online. Blood circulation is the key to both comfort and avoiding health problems potentially triggered by long flights.
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 10:33 AM

If you are vertically enhanced (tall) I would think the last thing you would want is to jam your knees any higher than they already are.

If you are vertically challenged, as I am, then having your feet up on something can be a lot more comfortable. I use a rectangular, strongly constructed tote for my carryon, and find that I can put my feet up on it as tcapp suggested above.
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 11:32 AM

Yoga - feet in your ears in First!

M
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 01:05 PM

I was on a flight where a woman took her shoes off and rubbed peppermint lotion on her feet. She said it kept them cool and helped with circulation.
Personally, I would walk up and down the aisles a bit.
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 01:15 PM

Took redeyes to/from Vegas while pregnant and really needed to sleep. Using my husband's small rectangle carry-on sized suitcase was pretty much the right size and shape. However, as someone else mentioned, height is a factor. I'm only 5'3" so to be comfy, I need my feet up.
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 03:55 PM

i would buy one of those around the neck pillows.. a small one is fine. i backpacked europe for two weeks and took my on the plane, ferry, busses and trains. was a life saver. just sit in your seat and rest your head to the side, very comfy!!
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 04:06 PM

I;m only 5 feet tall and mylegs always bother me on long flights. I bought a little folding step stool from Magellan's that fits into my carry one - it is a lifesaver!
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 06:17 PM

Dorgal,
We have a long flight coming up in a few months. I'm looking at the Magellan's catalog while typing; is it the "folding foot rest" for 24.85? I don't see anyting that looks like a step stool in the catalog.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 06:42 AM

We always try to get to the airport a bit early so we have a better chance of getting the Exit row seats that have a lot of legroom. They ususally don't assign these ahead of time. This would increase you overall comfort and give you plenty of room to prop up your tootsies.
-Bill
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 07:42 AM
GoTravel

A beach ball? Bless your heart MJ. I would suggest a hearty foot massage before you fly and remember to get up and stretch at least once every hour.

Old Sep 1st, 2004, 03:51 AM

MarshaL - yes - the folding footrest - that's it.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 05:15 AM

This is so funny - I just bought two beach balls for our flight to Hawaii!! And not for the beach. We have an exit row so there will be room for them to rest our feet on. I don't think they would work in a regular seat.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 05:42 AM

Atlanta to Hawaii will be a piece of cake. Its not even 10 hours, is it? If you want to do interesting travel you got to rack in those miles sista.

I don't see my feet doing anything but resting on trans-atlantic or transpacific travel. If I get the option I do pick planes that have two isles so you can roam. Walk up to someone in an aloha shirt and thank them for starting your vacation before exiting the plane. Always opens up conversation for me!!! A great way to get travel tips from locals often people are going home for visits.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 05:43 AM
Dan

Delta economy is VERY tight, even compared to other carriers. Try to get an aisle seat so you can walk around a litte!