Search

HOW TO PACK?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2000, 05:25 AM
Marilyn

HOW TO PACK?

I'm one of those chronic OVER packers. I end up wearing one pair of pants and maybe two shirts in one week, yet I continuously take three and four pairs of pants and same # of shirts, just in case.

I plan to take less this time around, however, what is the best way to pack to save space and for the luggage to be balanced out weight wise? I've heard of rolling and laying things flat. Which is best? thanks.

Old Sep 24th, 2000, 04:04 PM
ReformedOverPacker

Marilyn, confirmed backpackers swear by the roll clothes rather than fold. I usually do a combination depending on the article.
To prevent yourself from overpacking and to speed you on your way, buy a carry-on with wheels and a telescoping handle. Next time you're in an airport, observe what all the flight crew uses...that's it!
Take only clothes that mix and match. Wear your heaviest shoes and raincoat or jacket outbound and return. I take no more than 2 pair of shoes; walking and perhaps sandals that can pass for dress-up.
Take less, hand wash more often...it only takes a few minutes each night. Bring along a 'universal' sink/tub stopper (hotel rooms are often missing these or they don't hold water well).
Remember that it is not a mortal sin to take a carryon that is only 2/3 full! Besides, it's good to leave room for sourvenirs.
Just before landing, use the plane's lavatory to freshen up. That way, while others get off the plane and head for the restrooms, then to baggage claim, YOU are immediately on your way to the busses or car rental counters!
For excellent tips on what to pack and how to pack, look at the Rick Steves website at: http/www.ricksteves.com
His book, Europe Through The Back Door, has his own personal packing list and one for women as well. It's worth buying a older edition from a used book store just for his helpful advice.

Old Sep 24th, 2000, 04:14 PM
Marilyn

Thank you so much for that information. I'm over on ricksteve.com site right now.

Old Sep 24th, 2000, 04:56 PM
tweedy

I travel alot on business and vacation when I can sneak some in and I have learned a couple of tricks, I hang good clothing in a garment bag, that attaches to my roll on bag, so I don't carry it the roll on bag does. Also I wrap each item or maybe 2 items in the plastic you get from the dry cleaners, this stops wrinkes. Who wants to iron especially on vacation.

Also I carry everything on the plane and have only 2 bags, so nothing goes to a different location or gets lost.

If you take good jewelry, make sure it is safe in your purse, not in a checked bag. (Silly to even mention it, but this may help someone else that does not travel on a regular basis)

I usually travel with one or two colors so that everything matches.

Have a fun trip.

tweedy

Old Sep 24th, 2000, 06:53 PM
Marilyn

Thanks Tweedy, I'll remember that. Thanks to Reformed Overpacker too. Maybe this trip I'll be able to call myself the same thing. LOL

thank you again.