How to get from Midtown to Coney Island

Old Sep 30th, 2005, 03:40 PM
jgg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to get from Midtown to Coney Island

Would like to know the easiest way to get from Midtown (50th btwn. 3rd & Lexington) to Coney Island and about how long it should take us. We will be in NYC Nov. 19-24. My Mom grew up in Coney Island and I would really like to take my kids there to see where Grandma grew up.
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 07:59 AM

The D, F, N and Q trains go to Coney Island. I think the D might be the fastest because it runs express in Manhattan. But it is still about 20 stops to Coney Island - over an hour. You can take it from the Rockefeller Center (47-50th St) stop on 6th Avenue.
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 08:12 AM

It's not a bad ride and you go over the Manhattan Bridge, which will be a kick for the kids, great view of the city from there.

Coney Island has changed alot since Grandma Lived there, and of course the park will be closed but I think Nathan's is open all year round.

The Aquarium is there just to the left when you get of the train at Coney Island, and I'll bet the kids will love that.

Suzanne was right about the amount of time to get there, figue 45 minutes to an hour, and take the D it is the fastest train since it goes express.

Have a fun time while you are here.
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 10:26 AM

Yes- Nathan's is open year round.

Though the rides will be closed you can still walk on the Boardwalk. You will probably even catch a few people swimming.

The subway station has been recently redone and is quite spectacular, with its Coney Island theme.
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 02:01 PM
jgg
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I am glad to hear the station has been redone.

I know things will be different, they were already very different when we went there 30 years ago when I was a kid! My Mom wants to know if the apartment she grew up in on Mermaid Ave. is still there. If so, it will be fun for her to have pictures of her grandkids in front of it. Another one she lived in on W. 31st was gone when we were there before.
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 04:15 PM

The "B" train ("6th Av Express") runs express in Manhattan and Brooklyn. But it ends at Brighton Beach, so you still need to switch to the "Q" to get to Coney Island.

From where you start, take the "V" from 53rd@Lexington downtown. Switch to the "B" at 47-50 St - Rockerfeller Ctr, 42 St - Bryant Park, or 34 St - Herald Sq. Should be just across the platform.

Both the "V" and "B" are weekdays only. If you're going on the weekend, you need to find other slower trains.

It takes 40 minutes on the "B" from mid-town to Brighton Beach, according to schedule, compared to about an hour on other trains.