How to Dress in Boston

Search

How to Dress in Boston

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2004, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to Dress in Boston

My wife and I are going to Boston for a weekend get-away. We will do touristy stuff in the day and go out in the evenings. Most of our evenings will include dinner at a casual but decent place and some pub hopping. How should we dress? Are jeans OK or should I wear khakis or slacks? How about for women?

Many thanks!
Dave
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 11:44 AM

I live in Chicago, in the city, and for casual dining and pub hopping my husband and I often wear jeans... but nice, fitted, darker jeans, not an old baggy faded pair. (We're in our late 20s, if that makes a difference.) Your wife can dress them up with black boots or heels, a cool top, interesting jewelry, etc.
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 12:04 PM

Wow, I'm off to Boston and surroundings on Friday, and never even thought of asking how to dress!

My only concern is the weather, and I'm checking daily. Looks like from mid-60s to mid-40s, and a couple of rains tossed in.

I hope I'm prepared for everything.
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 12:10 PM

We are also headed to Boston. I have learned, from previous visits this time of year, to bring along a light jacket, scarf and some gloves because the wind can be quite chilling! It sounds like you will be doing some casual dining and I have seen many people, both men and women, wearing dress jeans or khakis - so you wouldn't be out of place.

My husband normally wears khakis and Rockports with either a button down shirt or sweater. I generally wear slacks with either boots or loafers and a sweater. During the day, we dress in layers so that we can adjust to the temperature. If you have a travel umbrella, bring that along too, just in case
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 01:40 PM

Take it from this life long Bostonian -You won't go wrong with khakis with a polo or button down shirt paired with nice sweater if its cooler. That's pretty much the "uniform" for guys around here.

Jeans are okay but not first choice. Slacks are okay too.

Old Oct 5th, 2004, 06:01 PM

HI bennie--the kinds of places that Davelw is describing are perfectly OK for jeans--I think it is more an issue of age than anything else. Strass and her husband--20 somethings--can look very stylish in jeans but 40 and above are probably well advised to stick w/the "uniform" that you describe for the men--women have more latitude and tend to have their own style of what they like to wear in different situations, eg sightseeing, eating out or going to pubs.
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 01:34 PM

Boston may still be more conservative than other cities, but times have changed, and I think your proposed dress code is fine. Only the fanciest restaurants require tie and jacket for men. I was in Bermuda one year ago, and even there, with a supposed strict dress code, places did not require tie and jacket, even if they were posh.

Re: weather. Check weather.com or something similar. It was in the mid 30's this morning a few miles out of Boston. Almost time for "frost on the bogs." Cranberry bogs, that is. It does get windy here, allegedly, more than Chicago, but no snow until late November or December.
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 03:48 PM

I realize that jeans may be okay in some situations but what I was suggesting was that khakis will suit someone well regardless. If the place is more casual than dressy then khakis will not be out of place. If more dressy than casual then khakis will work better than jeans. Khakis and chinos are a safe bet.
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 04:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I go to Henrietta's table, Legal seafoods, and several others I frequent in jeans but will dress for Troquet, Mistral, Aquitaine, Upstairs on the Square, Locke-Ober and any other the celebrated chefs.
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 04:57 PM

AS a lifelong Bostonian, plan for khakis and a shirt with a collar, Polo type is fine. That will get you just about anywhere, steak houses, etc. Mostly all will accept jeans but you may feel uncomfortable in them at some places, although my husband always says that they will be happy to take his money! The very hip, trendier, nightlife places will require more withit dress. Watch the local weather for cold/warm issues.
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 12:24 PM

As a Bostonian who lives downtown and is roughly the same position as Strass, I agree with her completely. There are very few, if any, places in town where I would not feel comfortable wearing dark jeans and a black sweater.
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 01:09 PM

HI--it is interesting to see how many on this thread are coming to visit Boston this week end but I guess Columbus Day is a popular time to come here. The good news is that the forecast is for sun and warmth on Sat but a cooling trend for Sun-Mon, so the most impt clothing issue is to come prepared for changing temps!
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 02:59 PM

Socialworker, my visit is the following weekend (when thousands of parents decend on your fair city to visit their cherubs at school). Do you think you could hang on to that pleasant weather for me? Last year it was cold with driving rain! Anything you can do would be much appreciated
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 03:12 PM

SeeTheWorld, I'm leaving for a foliage tour tomorrow. On my way I'll be spraying all trees withing sprayable distance with glue. (Got glue?) Just to make sure the leaves will stay on in any weather. And while at that, per your request, I can spray them with air freshener. Or febreeze.
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 03:26 PM

faaaaabulouuuus, Faina
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 03:34 PM

Faina, won't you be stopping in Boston?
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 03:39 PM

Yes, for 2 nights: before and after the tour.
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 04:11 PM

e=mail me at hotmail when you return if you want to meet for a drink or whatever and maybe Nikki and Anon. might be interested
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 05:04 PM

Hi, thanks for the thought, I enjoyed the Boston-area (and Indy rep) get-together last year, but I'll be out-of-state while Faina's here!
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 05:18 PM

khakis and nice shirt, you'll be fine. Since it will be cool at dinnertime, why not bring along a wool blazer, if you have one. You'll see that quite a bit around Boston. Guys wear them in, and take them off while indoors. Ironically, the same is pretty much true for women! Boston is not really known for its "fashionistas", so tell your lady that casual chic is the way to go. Have a wonderful visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -