Reload this Page >

How to avoid tourists in the Calif wine country

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 09:18 AM
nicole

Ok, after reading tons of posts, I'm convinced. Napa Valley is out, SONOMA is in!

I will be travelling in very early March on a Tues, Wed, Thurs to Oakland Airport, renting a car, and will head up to Healdsburg right away. I'm not interested in train tours, restraunts, massages, mud baths, ect. All I want is stunning scenery and wineries that are easy to find.
So, in relation to Healdsburg, where is this Russian River?
The only place I "have" to see is Frog's Leap. It is right outside Yountville. How is the best way to get from Healdsburg area to Younville? After Frog's Leap, I was just going to tool along highway 29 past Napa, then hit 80 to get back to Oakland Airport.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 10:24 AM
xxx

so in other words, you want to be the only tourists??? maybe if you book the entire valley really far in advance, you can keep all those other pesky tourists out.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 10:36 AM
selfish

Kind of a double standard to think that you're worthy of fine wineries and scenery, but don't think you should have to share it with others.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 10:42 AM
bob

Why xxx and selfish (who are probably the same person) sooooo nasty? What's your problem--aside from poor reading comprehension?

All nicole says is that napa is out and sonoma is in. How do you jump from that to concluding that she wants to be the other tourist, or that she doesn't want to share? She's just asking for directions!

I feel sorry for the people who have to work along side of you tomorrow.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 10:44 AM
xyz

nicole reminds of the traveller who wants to only wants to go to someplace like Florida during the winter, but then bitches about the higher prices and crowds of people. Can't have it all, folks.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 10:53 AM
tourist

Nicole you remind me of a lot of people up here in Tahoe who after spending a couple of weekends at the Lake consider themselfs as being a "local" & not a tourist anymore.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 10:54 AM
xxx

No Bob, I'm not Selfish (nor am I selfish). But maybe if you read Nicole's title "How to avoid the tourists in the Calif wine country" you will understand why we responded the way we did.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Steve

Throngs of tourists are not typically a concern in early March -- unless it is Easter week or Spring Break. Actually, it is one of the prettiest times to be there because the hills and valleys are as emerald green as Ireland, many wildflowers are blooming as are the trees. The weather is usually pretty nice, but subject to a few brief showers, sullen grey skies with peeks of sun, and stiff breezes.

There is no need to exclude Napa Valley (Yountville is there anyway), but I'm unsure as the amount of time you are spending in the area. Is it 2 nights? Or is this a day-trip? (travelling on a Tue, Wed, Thur to Oakland Airport -- what do you mean?)

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 10:57 AM
x

You can easily avoid tourists in Gary, Indiana.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 11:14 AM
linda

Nicole,
I don't know why everyone is to testy with you. I totally understand your concern. My husband and I like to visit 'off-season" to lots of places because I don't enjoy crowds.
We did Napa/Sonoma in April- first week. We went during the week, and were by ourselves quite often in some of the small wineries. Charming!It was stunning- all the flowers blooming. However, the vineyards are stark, so you'll miss that sight. We loved Sonoma and will skip Napa next time. You can travel throughout the Russian River Valley easily. The wineries have directional signs. Don't miss Healdsburg- it's one of my favorite small towns in America.
By avoiding throngs of tourists, we got to meet owners of vineyards and wineries and were treated so well! We had private tours and perks that wouldn't have happened if we were surrounded by dozens of others. Please get a book about the region and look at the map before you go. Once you arrive, there are good maps available everywhere. Have a great time!

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 12:20 PM
Grasshopper

Nicole, I don't understand all the nastiness either. But, you have found the answer to avoiding crowds; Healdsburg and the Alexander Valley/Dry Creek Wineries/Russian River Wineries in the middle of the week. The Russian River runs through Healdsburg. All of this is within a half hour/forty five minute drive. I have posted a journal on www.igougo.com with some good itineraries for the area. You might want to check it out.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 01:00 PM
Dan

Linda posts so often about hating Napa and loving Sonoma, I'm convinced she works for the Sonoma Chamber of Commerce. Actually, for someone traveling in March, it is unlikely Nicole will find much in the way of crowds, particularly if it is raining. Both valleys are quite beautiful at that time of year. Unless you decide you definitely want to do the Russian River area, you should easily be able to drive through both in two days, stopping at whatever wineries you find interesting. In the Napa valley they are closer together. However, Sonoma has fewer that charge to taste. Either way, you'll enjoy yourself.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 01:45 PM
xxx

ttt

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 06:13 PM
topping

to the top