Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How similar are the San Juan Islands and the Tofino area of B.C.?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2013, 11:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip that would include going both to the Tofino area of British Columbia (4 nights, 3 days) and the San Juan Islands (3 or 4 nights, 2 or 3 days), but am now wondering whether they are sufficiently similar that we should just go to one of them. We like kakaying, hiking, flora and flauna, and local culture and history.

(The trip will begin in Central Oregon and end in Seattle.)

I am also posting this on the Canada forum.
Old May 12th, 2013, 04:58 AM

Only cruised around the San Juans - but Tofino is a Temperate Rain Forest - much more lush/green - with ferns, etc. Had to laugh - as at their little museum - they had a log book from WWII when guys were serving as coast watch - looking for possible Japanese warships (didn't have radar back then) and one lad wrote: I spent 16 months here and it rained 13.
Old May 12th, 2013, 07:04 AM

I could (and have) easily spent a week in both. My recollection is that they both also require a fair bit of travel time (ferries and driving), so you might be better off concentrating on one area (5-6 nights) and combining with something else nearish (2-3 nights).

For example - 5 nights Tofino and 3 nights in Vancouver, or Salt Spring Island/Gulf Islands, or Victoria.
Old May 12th, 2013, 07:57 AM

I would say totally dissimilar. The San Juans are...islands. Tofino is a lovely place to visit, but it is not on an island. If you go, on the main drag there is an art gallery that looks like an Indian longhouse. Go in and wonder...maybe even buy.
Find time to visit Ucluelet while you are in the area.
Old May 12th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. I forgot to mention that we enjoyed bicycling also.
Old May 12th, 2013, 08:58 AM

I would say totally dissimilar.

When I read your subject line I thought to myself that even the individual islands of the San Juan Islands are different from one another. That is why some prefer San Juan Island (me) while others prefer Ocras or one of the other islands.

HTtY

PS Within the San Juan Islands I understand Lopez Island is a destination of particular interest to bicyclists.
Old May 12th, 2013, 09:29 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Tofino is close to open ocean - big waves etc.; by comparison the San Juans are all in sheltered water. Both are marvelous, but as stated it takes a long time to get to Tofino from the US or Canadian mainland - much longer than to get to the San Juans.

Lopez is the most popular of the San Juans for cyclists, because it's fairly flat and doesn't have as much car traffic as San Juan Island.
Old May 12th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

How much do the ferries cost to get from one island to the other? If we stayed on one of the San Juan islands, which would be the best choice?
Old May 12th, 2013, 10:21 AM

How much do the ferries cost to get from one island to the other? If we stayed on one of the San Juan islands, which would be the best choice?

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/fares/

As for which island, I'd personally go with San Juan, because it has the most variety and the greatest selection of accommodations and other resources. Others prefer Orcas (more topography, more laid back) or Lopez (more rural, good biking.) Pick 'em.
Old May 12th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

I must be doing something wrong because I'm only seeing rates for vehicles. I'm interested in knowing cost of inter-island trip for passengers only.
Old May 12th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

I think I just saw the inter-island passenger travel is FREE. Is that correct?
Old May 12th, 2013, 01:02 PM

I think I just saw the inter-island passenger travel is FREE. Is that correct?

I believe that's right, since pax are charged for departures from Anacortes to get to the islands in the first place.

There are several routes on the ferry system where passengers (and in a couple of cases cars too) are only charged one way. Vashon Island is one such.
Old May 13th, 2013, 02:24 AM

I personally feel also, that Tofino & the islands
have very different 'feels.'

One perhaps a bit more 'rugged' but we were a bit disappointed
with how the 'approach' was to some of the coastal spots
near Tofino. (have less of a feel perhaps while you drive...
hard to describe but almost have to be more 'out on the train' to get a strong 'sense' of things...
vs. getting a real 'take' on the islands from one's car...
or if you are w/out car...one's bike, etc.

We adore both Orcas & San Juan for very different reasons.
Always include both, believe it or not. (can't choose
any longer) Never really could! ;-)

Am *not* dissuading Tofino...
just saying you won't feel like they are the 'same.'
And like others here mention, no 2 islands even feel
too much alike.

If you love bicycling, Lopez is indeed mentioned the most, however, w/just a short stop there, I was slightly less
'drawn' there & think you could do just fine on San Juan as well if you'll be biking. It's far less hilly than Orcas...
but does offer *some* hills for hiking...
my impression was, more than Lopez. (so offers a bit of variety)

There are beautiful 'pastoral' views on both SJ & Orcas...
and is part of what draws us. That is something I don't recall at all on the West Coast of Vancouver island.

San Juan has fantastic wildlife viewing, right from shore...
altho' I suppose knowing when you'll be visiting, helps a bit too. A quaint (simple) winery to visit w/a peaceful pastoral views.

Orcas Island has fantastic forests to hike amidst, lakes to canoe or rowboat on, etc.
(slightly harder to see wildlife directly from shore, however, partly due to a bit less public access along the seashore...)
But you can kayak from either, which we highly recommend as Spring to Summer, the water is often like glass.

And Orcas also has several wonderful 'birdseye' view sorts of
places to visit, that provide stunning views over ALL the islands.

If you'd like more info, details...
feel free to contact me, and I'll try to send, once I have more time later this week. (Or, this may be far more than you'd ever want already.) We've also done the Gulf Islands,
and agree, they may be a bit easier to incorporate w/Tofino...
and they are also sweet! (a bit more evergreen forested...
vs. a tad more hardwoods in the San Juan islands...it seems to us)
Old May 13th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the information, especially Daydreamer for all of the details. We have decided to skip Tofino this trip and to spend 5 nights in the San Juan Islands. I'm thinking of staying on San Juan Island and would appreciate advice about the part of the island that would be good. We will have a car.
Old May 18th, 2013, 07:13 AM

Lots of great info here! I live & work on Orcas and have been here for 15 years. I've kayaked in Tofino a few times (and stayed at the lovely Wickaninish Inn). The feel of the two locations are very different. Much more to do and see in the San Juan Islands.

If you are visiting the San Juan Islands and have a few nights, would recommend splitting between Orcas and San Juan. Maybe a ferry ride with bicycles to visit Lopez for one day. I'm the Executive Director for the Orcas Island Chamber of Commerce and would be happy to help you with your trip plans. I'm also on the Board of the County Visitors Bureau, so will try to share all-island info with you. Call or email me and my office will help in any way we can. Have fun!

Lance Evans
Executive Director, Orcas Island Chamber
emailance-at-orcasislandchamber.com
http://www.orcasislandchamber.com
Old May 18th, 2013, 07:14 AM

Oops. I think my email reference was inappropriate. Sorry.