Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How many vacations did you or are planning to take this year?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've already been on 1 vacation earlier this year-February, but planning another vacation for the fall this year. That'll be it for me for 2003. Just curious how many vacation others are planning or already took this year.
I also get a lot of flack from people cause I take more than 1 vacation a year. I think people are just jealous. I love to travel!!
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 03:24 PM

I will have 2 as well. One shorter and this fall off to Ireland for a 2.5 weeks. We catch a lot of slack to but I and my wife are in our 30's dont have kids and WHY not?? =) We save money everywhere we can to be able to do this.
It makes work soooo much more tolerable when you get to come home and stick your nose in a Travel guide or web
forum. As my wife says...ARE YOU LOOKING AT THAT WEBSITE AGAIN??? lol she has never had a bad time on a vacation with me though! Happy trails...
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 03:31 PM
GoTravel

As many as possible. This year I've been to Aruba, South Beach 3xs,
NYC 4xs, Orlando, Atlantic City, and on deck I have NYC and South Beach.

Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 03:54 PM
cd

You go....travel!
We have been very fortunate this year in that we've taken a cruise, Went to SanFrancisco, Yosemite, St Louis, visited kids in Ohio, Florida Panhandle, Traverse City and Mackinac Island, will be going to Yellowstone/Teton's in two weeks, Houston (another kid) for Thanksgiving, weekend trips within a few hours of home and Christmas back in Ohio. We usually do a couple trips a year, this year we have really hit it as my husband has been downsized as of next year so....make hay while the sun shines!
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 04:01 PM

Try to do at least two a year, depends on what you consider vacation, as well.Spent two weeks in June in the Black hills of SD. Will be on the OBX this Oct. Also did a week in STLOUIS on business, but no hubby no kids no pets, the TV all to my self every night that was a vacation to me, paid for by the company.
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 05:03 PM

We have a good year going this year. In Jan/Feb, we went to Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand for 3 weeks. We spent a week on St. John, USVI in April. Memorial Day weekend we went to London. At the end of September we'll head to Hawaii for 2 weeks and split time between Kauai and the Big Island. We have 1 more week of vacation in December, which we may move up to November since I'm pregnant and due in February. We'll probably go to the Caribbean in November. Next year, we definitely won't be going to as many places with the new baby. But boy these last few years of traveling for 7 to 8 weeks a year were awesome!
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 07:33 PM

Maybe the question should be how many weeks are you planning to work this year?
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 07:45 PM

I'm stuck to the darn school calendar! Traveled to the southwestern US during spring break in March and to Ireland this summer. With the approach of Labor Day, that's it for me for awhile. I'll be working many, many weeks.
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 07:57 PM

Oh Mary Z, that darn school calendar! Only 14 weeks vacation a year plus all the holidays!
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 01:01 PM
Romy

Our Big One is to Vancouver/Victoria the end of September for 10 days. That would have been it for this year but instead of having MIL come for Christmas for 7+ days, we'll be going to Florida to see her for the holiday for 3 or 4 days. Seemed a better idea !

Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 03:07 PM
cd

Romy
Vancouver/Victoria is the next trip being planned. Would really like to hear your agenda and hotel plans.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 03:34 PM
jtp

One down, one more coming and possible one more (we average 2-3) plus long weekends. (TRAVEL FOR WORK DOESN'T COUNT, RIGHT?)
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 04:07 PM

Hey, I am a teacher also, but I manage quite a number of trips, even during the school year. Christmas break this last time was in Thailand (Phuket). Spring break was spent in Switzerland. This summer I went back to Thailand in June, to Dallas in July, and will go to Hawaii in a few days for my last summer vacation trip. In between, there were long weekend trips to Tampa and Las Vegas, Kansas City and Louisville. My schedule will soon come to a halt for a while as school starts the end of August...but I'm already looking at that 3-day weekend in OCT for Columbus Day! Any suggestions???
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 07:45 PM
Romy

Hi cd,
We got a package on Expedia including Air/United and 10 nights at Sunset Inn & Suites on Vancouver's Westend. Close to everything. The suite is actually a good sized apt., full kitchen, balcony overlooking English Bay. Great price. We're going to try to fit everything we possibly can in those 10 days including whale watching, Butchart Gardens, Grouse Mountain, suspension bridges, Harbour Centre Lookout, kayaking, nature tours, maybe a trip to Whistler if time permits. Whew, I'm exhausted already! Are you planning a trip there?
Romy

Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 08:01 PM
Romy

Hi again cd,
In reviewing you message more closely, I see you ARE planning a trip there, when are you going and what are some of the things you plan to do? We'll be there 9/30-10/10.

Old Aug 4th, 2003, 04:34 AM

During the past year, our first after retiring, we took five: Canadian Rockies, Hawaii, Ireland, Alaska, and Pennsylvania. Of course we won't be able to afford to travel that often every year, but it was great to have the freedom to travel whenever we wanted. That's what MaryZ was trying to say..... Yes, teachers get more vacation time than many other professions, but they are very locked into their school calendars as when they can go.
P.S. joesorce: During our teaching careers, my husband and I always taught summer school (5-6 weeks) and took at least one class most summers. That left us with three weeks in late July/early August before the coaching season started......... Not exactly the 14 weeks you generalized for all.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 05:49 AM
TC

We spent three weeks in Cozumel, Mexico in February, a week in Toronto in June. Now we're off to Provence, France for two weeks in September, sailing in St. Martin for two weeks in November and a quick trip to Brussels, Belgium in November. That should keep our Elite status with NW Airline for another year. We are all very lucky to have this kind of freedom, aren't we?
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 06:02 AM

I never care what people think of my travel plans... But February was London (6 days), March Maui (1 week), June Ireland/France (2 weeks), November Barcelona (1 week), December Venice (2 weeks). My husband joined me on a business trip to Argentina in May - and we took a long weekend to Uruguay. But I brown bag my lunch, only buy groceries on sale, drive an old car, blah, blah, blah.... I just call it my priorities.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 06:14 AM

Hi

I have been lucky enough to go to China in March...we got to see Beijing, Xi'an and Hong Kong. In June we went to Italy when SAS had a special deal and we got to see Milan and Venice. Last weekend we used some frequent flyer points to go to London...and we got great weather In the beginning of October I plan to go to Tanzania to "climb" the Kilimanjaro and I'm looking forward to that of course And then finally we plan to go to South Africa in December to visit family and this time I'm going to visit Joburg with an open mind.

So all in all it will be a busy year

I have posted trip reports and pictures of the trips to China and Italy on my homepage www.gardkarlsen.com

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 07:00 AM
cd

Romy
We are just in the planning stage. Don't know if we want to try for this fall or not. We want to do Vancouver/Victoria/San Juan Island(Friday Harbor) and don't know if we will have the time to add Seattle into that and what would be the best mode of transport to do it all. Would also like to drive to Whistler, time permitting. Tell me about Harbour Centre Lookout, have not heard of it. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -