How many days in Moab?

Search

How many days in Moab?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many days in Moab?

I'd love some advice as to how many days we should plan for Moab. We will be arriving there in August from Mesa Verde at the end of a busy trip (Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, etc.) If it is very hot I'm afraid we'll have trouble motivating the kids to do much more in terms of hiking, sightseeing, etc. We want to see Arches and perhaps do a raft trip. Is Canyonlands a must? Would two nights there be enough or should we try to plan for more? Any suggestions welcomed. Thank you!
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 11:21 AM

August in Moab is NOT recommended, but you've made your choice. To borrow the famous words of Phoenix residents: "At least it's a DRY heat."
I recommend:
One day for Arches
Two days for Canyonlands (one for driving around the overlooks, one for jeep and/or boat tours)
One day for other stuff (mountain biking, Needles Region of Canyonlands, driving Hiway 128 along the Colorado)

I definitely recommend Canyonlands; think of it as a small Grand Canyon without the crowds. I was shocked to find out this place had no federal protection until 1966.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 11:46 AM

2-3 days in Moab is a good amount. Because it's so dry, it cools off fairly quickly at night. Thunderstorms start by August, and they also cool the air quickly. I was in Moab early in August last year and I don't remember getting hot at all. You can hike comfortably early in the mornings and in late afternoon/evenings. Just carry plenty of water, and plan to be in a cool motel room or air-conditioned car in the middle of the day. I like the idea of raft trips. They would cool you off quickly.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 03:26 PM

It is hot in Moab in August, but it cools down in the evening. If you plan your hiking in the morning you should be fine. Also, heat is nice when you're on the river. Canyonlands is fascinating, but maybe by that time you'll have enough of red rocks. I would recommend a drive over to see Dead Horse Point State Park. I would plan on three days. Hope this helps.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 04:14 PM

We were in Moab last July and it was so hot we cut our stay short. We found the heat almost unbearable. It was 105 and it didn't get below 100 until way past 5pm. August may be a bit better, I don't know. What I would recommend is hiking in Arches in the early morning and a drive out to Dead Horse State Park in the afternoon. Also, Potash Road is a scenic drive with petroglyphs. We did a float trip which we really enjoyed, and it was great to get in the water!
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 04:51 PM

Recommend 2-3 days. Dead Horse point is a must and a drive out further into the 'Island In The Sky' region of Canyonlands is excellent. Arches may take up 2 days by itself. By all means, do your hikes in the mornings and do take plenty of water. Sign up at Visitor's Center for the guided hike thru the Firey Furnace ( do it in the AM). A raft trip is very nice but expect to have to wash all your clothes as the red mud from the Colorado (Red) River needs to be washed immediately.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 05:47 PM

Let me muddy the water here a little.
After Mesa Verde, why not drive through Durango and over the Million Dollar Highway to Silverton. If the day is clear there are high mountain turnouts to drive to and get a view.
Silverton is interesting for a short while and it will be full of people in August. Then drive over to Ouray and
swim in the hot pools there. Ouray is high and not nearly as hot. Then if you want to you can swing over to Moab and the heat.
You might even consider staying in Ouray, but it is a little pricey.
Montrose is cheaper by a little.

On the way to Ouray, you pass over three mountain passes and get a glimpse of some high country.

If you don't want to do that, my suggestion is get to Arches early.
My first objective would be Delicate Arch, which must be hiked to to be appreciated. If you don't want that, go to Double Arch and/or see if you can get a walk through the Fiery Furnace.

Dead Horse Point is neat. Nice View.
The most interesting feature is Upheaval Dome. The geologist are still, last I heard, conjecturing what caused it. Collapsed salt dome?
Anyhow, it would be more interest to people with some knowledge of earth sciences than anyone else.

Old Feb 5th, 2004, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your helpful replies. You've given me some great ideas and I think I can plan this part a bit better, now. I wish we could be taking this trip at another time of year, but we don't have much choice.
Thanks again!
P.S. Feel free to keep the advice coming!
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 11:43 AM

Whatever you do, DO NOT SKIP the hike to Delicate Arch! It was simply the most AWESOME hike we did there...plan it for early in the a.m. as possible..just not mid afternoon..Heck I have read about folks who hike to it by full moon..HAS TO BE SEEN...do not SKIP it. We loved it so much we did the hike again coming back from the rest of our trip...We also came from Mesa Verde last year and did the trip to OURAY.. A beautiful ride over the Highway. We liked Ouray alot better than Durango. Not so busy...enjoyed a stay at the Boxwood Canyon Lodge..
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 12:10 PM

I recommend a stay at the Gonzo Inn while you are in Moab. VERY NICE.
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 12:34 PM

A full day or half day river rafting trip is a lot of fun and will keep you cool. We wore our bathsuits and there are calms parts of the river where they will let you swim and we had water fights with the other rafts which was fun and wet.

If you do the rafting trip then plan at least two other days for Moab. One for Canyonlands & Dead Horse State Park and the other for Arches. As mentioned do your hiking in the morning or late evening. We would swim during the hottest part of the day or tour around in air conditioned vehicle.

Utahtea
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 12:36 PM

Kathryn - We really liked Ouray as well. It's one of our favorite places in Colorado. Actually, when we cut our stay in Moab short by one day, we spent an extra day in Ouray. If you go, I'd highly recommend a Jeep tour up to Yankee Boy Basin. It is filled with wildflowers in July. Along the way, you pass a ghost town and spectacular scenery. And a soak in the hot springs pool is a treat. In Ouray is a small historical museum that is wonderful. They cram a lot of interesting historical stuff in a small house!

Old Feb 5th, 2004, 09:02 PM

I second the motion on Yankee Boy.
If the mine is still working, you might be able to drive up there. The last time I did it was long enough ago that the road could have changed character.
I took a standard car up there.
Fortunately, we got there not long after a bulldozer had worked some of the road and it was passable for a ways. A small truck was able to go farther than we did.

The wildflowers are gorgeous and the mountain scenery in that high, high basin is awesome. Sneffels goes up over 14,000 feet above sea level, and the jagged, convoluted spires of San Luis Potosi are incredible. The whole scene is that of a high mountain basin and for me it is a lovely place to visit.
The only blemish is the ugly remins of mining. Mine tailings grow nothing; they kill everything. Where they were dumped there is only barren rubble.
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 10:27 PM
Original Poster

You are all wonderful - thank you for all your great tips. Now I have to figure if we can add another day or so to work it all in. My list keeps growing and growing ...and I am getting more and more excited each day.