How long these days to get a passport?

Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How long these days to get a passport?

I took my application to our local PO on Nov. 11 and havne't heard a thing yet. Should I be worried? I tried emailing the post office and no luck. I have tried calling the 877 passport number, and they disconnect me. Should it take this long?
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 09:11 AM

The State Dep't website says that routine Passport applications take about 6 weeks to process. When we applied for our daughter's passport last year it took about 5 weeks, also around the holidays (submitted everything right before T'giving, got her Passport right after Christmas).

You can also check the application status online at:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get...atus_2567.html
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 09:38 AM

Interesting, Heavens. I asked the same question about a month ago and most people reported it took 4 weeks or less for a renewal. I wondered whether the holidays would play havoc with that timetable. I never sent mine off. If it's a first passport, it takes longer, 6-8 wks.
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Yes, this was a renewal. Did I spell that right?
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

bgans, I have tried to check this a few times and it doesn't go through. Very frustrating.

I did have to change my name and it was a renewal that had expired, maybe that maked the process take longer...
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 12:35 PM
LN

You’ll need to apply in person if you are applying for a U.S. passport for the first time; if your expired U.S. passport is not in your possession; if your previous U.S. passport has expired and was issued more than 15 years ago; or if your previous U.S. passport was issued when you are under 16 your currently valid U.S. passport has been lost of stolen.

Renewal of a U.S. Passport
You can renew by mail if: Your most recent passport is available to submit and it is not damaged; you received the passport within the past 15 years; you were over age 16 when it was issued; you still have the same name, or can legally document your name change.

Did you receive your original passport within the last 15 years and can you legally document your name change Heavens!!
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 01:33 PM

Heavens, Do not panic! Coincidentally, we just renewed my son's passport. We had to get a new photo, and he is 15, so I had to take him in and sign in person and all.
We mailed it in on November 7 and received it yesterday, so it took 6 wks and 2 days.
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 02:04 PM
sandi

My renewal was returned to me in 3-weeks and this was through the NY Passport office. Though one is advised return of new passport can take up to 6-wks.

I'd definitely call, and if they hang up once or twice - call back. It's an 800#, doesn't cost you anything, but your time.

Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 02:17 PM

I applied for passports for my kids at my local post office on Nov. 5th. I kept checking the status online and they showed up as not in the system, which was a little concerning to me. I called the 800 number last week and they said they were in the system but that things were taking a long time because tons of people are applying all of a sudden due to a change in passport requirements for travel to Canada and Mexico. As it happens the change was supposed to take effect at the end of 2005 but was pushed back to the end of 2006. So all of these applications have clogged up the system. I received both kids' passorts this week--on the 20th, I think. You should get them within a week or two.
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 02:21 PM

It hasn't been six weeks yet, so why be concerned? Just relax. Read my post above. It is current.
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 02:25 PM

Martwork, Our posts crossed in the system. Interesting! I was wondering! I'll pass your info along to my Mom, who is also waiting for her renewal.
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. I'll go bake some cookies then...
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

IT GOT IT, I GOT IT!!! Yahoo, I am now free to move about the planet. NOt sure why I am so excited, but I am. It just feels good to have that technicality out of the way.

So, it took seven weeks. I guess with Christmas and my name change it took a little longer. That is OK. But now I GOT IT. Thanks Fodors for helping me NOT panic...
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 02:06 PM

Heavens, I'm glad I saw your post. We went today just to ask general questions and were told 4 to 5 weeks. Since we'll have to fill out lost passport forms for the two that expired 20 years ago (we've moved at least twice since then, I have no idea where they are), I guess I'd better allow a little extra time too.

Do the two recent photos they ask for both have to be photo ID? My husband and daughter have two. But my son only has his school ID and I only have my drivers license.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

I think you might need a birth cert for the one who does not have a drivers liscence. I think they need some kind of govt id.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 06:28 PM

Glad you got it, Heavens! I'm sure you'll be traveling to wonderful places. (Hope your cookies were good!)

CAPH52, be sure to go to the website that bgans provided above. It has all the id and application requirements.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 06:44 PM

In regards to the children's renewal--I still had to provide birth certificates and physically have my children present with the completed application, even though they had expired passports.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 05:44 AM

The two recent photos must be exactly that - 2 recent photos (with very specific size requirements). Places like kinkos, mailboxes etc can take them.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 05:55 AM

Thanks, Julie. I realized after I posted that they were referring to the passport photos, not ID. And, actually, our post office will do the photos too. They charge $15. I figure it can't be much cheaper anywhere else. And it's less running around!

However, I believe we do still have to have photo ID (just one I hope!) as well as birth certificates.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 06:30 AM

Ah, you are very lucky... in the far reaches of Colorado we don't have the luxury of photos at the post office. It is very nice as my daughter's application was rejected at the post office because the size of her head in the photo was slightly too big.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -