Reload this Page >

How long is the flight?

Search

How long is the flight?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 11:58 AM
Mary

How long is the flight?

Before I jump into this blindfolded...I'm thinking of taking my daughter to Hawaii in March...but I'm looking at flight times and I'm seeing 11 hours from Boston, which has me thinking...are there any other warm places this side of the ocean? In France, perhaps?

Is Hawaii always warm? As this is kind of a suprise for my daughter, I want a somewhat guarantee(?) of warm...
Is it prudent to fly to Hawaii for eight nights, two of those days being "travel" days?
Has anyone flown Delta to Hawaii?
Does anyone have a favorite beach front hotel in Hawaii? Upon reading some of these posts, I note that some beachfront hotels have rock.
Where do you stay?
I know I can't be guaranteed anything, but I would like some feedback as to whether I'm being unrealistic with the time frame, etc.
Middle of the road hotel suggestions would be nice.
Thanks in advance...much appreciated.

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 12:16 PM
joe

how about costa rica? it will be warm there.

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 12:37 PM
Lani

Yes, Mary, Hawaii will be warm in March most especially if you stay on the warmer, dryer part of the island you choose (like Wailea on Maui, the sunniest, driest part, or Poipu on Kauai, the same thing, etc.)

I have flown to Hawaii from the Southeast on Delta. Delta was great with good leg room on the plane we flew on, an L1011 I think. And I'm tall! And yes, depending on tailwinds, you're talking about around 11 hours. Now, as for the time frame, two weeks would be better but if you only do one island, I think eight nights is sufficient!

You do have to know exactly which hotel is where if you want to walk out on a sandy beach. There's plenty of hotels to choose from, in the mid-range, I'd go for Outriggers, Aston, etc., just to name a couple.

Once you decide if you're going to Hawaii, we could help you more with details. Good luck!

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 12:41 PM
mk

How old is your daughter if you don't mind? I just thought Mexico might be a great choice for warm, sunny weather in March. But there's also alot of college spring breakers during that time. And it can get kinda wild. Esp. Cancun but there's also cozumel, puerta vallarta, or any of the other towns that are not so westernized. From boston, it should only take 3-4 hrs? Although don't quote me on that.

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 12:57 PM
Lori

First of all you cannot get to the west coast of Mexico in 3-4 hrs. as the last posted said ... probably more like 7 or 8 - could also entail change of planes.
Hawaii is nearly always warm, the trip from the east coast is a killer tho (same as it is for us west coast people to go to Europe). We've flown Delta a number of times, they are fine. As for warmer places closer to Boston, why not the Bahamas or Caribbean? Timewise it would make more sense, the trip from the east coast to Hawaii entails a fair amount of jet lag! It's certainly doable but for a week it's not ideal. There are so many hotels in Hawaii it's hard to name any one in particular - what island did you have in mind? Don't forget to some islands you need to change planes in Honolulu eating into precious time. We always go to Maui but fly non-stop there from LA so it's no big deal.

You won't find much in Europe really warm in March either. I'd opt for the Caribbean.

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 09:04 PM
CG

First of all, if flight times end up being a limiting factor, the Caribbean is your only good choice, with Cancun a consideration. Aruba is THE most dependable island temperature-wise...it's a desert island with almost constant sun, but not 'tropical' looking. It's still a hike, but you can fly direct from Newark.
Second, THE most enjoyable beach destination you could seek out in the US/Caribbean/Mexico is Hawaii, IMO. It has it all. Lush vegetation, great beaches, volcanoes/mountains, great food and accommodations, low crime, relatively predictable weather (depending on island location). I think it's wrong to tell someone that "6 days is not enough" or "14 days is too many", or whatever. That's a very personal, subjective thing. I've gone to Hawaii for only a few days at times (from the west, though) simply to unwind. It was great. Not everyone feels they have to tour every park, garden and historic site on a vacation in order for it to be a successful trip! Some people just want to drink in the flavor/ambience of a locale very different from their home.
The trip from Boston is a bear, though.
And by the way, miss travel agent, Lani, there are no tailwinds flying Boston to Hawaii!! Those are headwinds.

Old Feb 5th, 2000, 07:04 AM
Lani

Dear CG,

Although I did get my headwinds and tailwinds mixed up, (I'm sorry!) I am not a travel agent, and have no idea why you think I am! (Your "miss travel agent" comment!) Although we have someone on this Forum trying to smear some of us, insofar as our motives for being here, I am completely innocent of anything but trying to help people get the most for their money.

Any company or service that I recommend on this Forum is simply because I, my family or good friends have had good service from them, and for no other reason! So I would appreciate it if accusers would get their facts straight before making accusations! Just because someone knows a lot about travel doesn't mean they're in the business!

As far as others who are being smeared, in the case of whether employees of travel agencies should post on here, MauiHeidi has been very upfront about the fact that she and her husband work on Maui. I think she gives a lot of valuable info that has nothing to do with her employment, and it's for the individual poster to decide whether they want to do business with the agency she works for. My only "gripe" about Heidi is that she needs to give Wailea equal time (along with West Maui) but we have fun with that!

Scott does advertise, which he shouldn't, but does also give people a lot of valuable info. I guess it's up to Fodor's to decide what is "blatant advertising" and what is not.

And I haven't gotten the impression that dmd works for anybody in particular. His info is great, and to the point!

What I object to is Lottie putting down everybody else who sells airline coupons, and at the same time, directing them to her cousin's business! (which I will not advertise by mentioning the website!) But Fodor's is the only one who can really police this stuff!

Anyway, I'm NOT A TRAVEL AGENT, and not in any way, shape or form affiliated with any business!

MARY, GO TO HAWAII AND HAVE A GREAT TIME!!! Many people go from the East Coast for just eight days or so, they survive, and rave about the trip. I think the secret is to stay on one island, and not try to see everything, as the poster above said.

Aloha, Lani

Old Feb 5th, 2000, 09:51 AM
CG

If you're not a TA, Lani, my apologies. I guess I've been absorbing info on other strings as fact, when, as we all know, info here is caveat emptor.
May the winds always be at your tail...

Old Feb 5th, 2000, 01:37 PM
Lani

CG,

No hard feelings - Mahalo for coming back on to "talk" to me.

Aloha,
Lani

Old Feb 5th, 2000, 02:06 PM
cmcdaniel

Mary, "Warm" is relative. I grew up in MA but live in FL now. What was warm to me then is a heck of a lot different from what is warm to me now!!

My first flight ever was my junior year at UMass, when I flew from Boston to Bermuda for spring break. There is never a guarantee for weather anywhere, and Bermuda could be 60 something in March or it could be 70 something--or some of both. But...I've since been to Maui, Cancun, Nassau, St. John, St. Thomas and Cayman and Bermuda (3 times)is my favorite, even over Hawaii. It is one of the cleanest, safest, most picturesque and friendly islands you'll find. Beautiful flower covered stone walls line narrow roads. Water is crystal clear and coral reefs offer plenty of great snorkeling. Weather will be more of a sure thing in April, but I was there the 1st time in March and it was HEAVEN!