Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How long is a round trip on Sandia Peak Tramway?

Jun 14th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

My husband and I only have one full day to explore Albuquerque. How long does the tramway trip take and is it worth it? I don't want it to eat up too much of our day. Plus, we'll be flying out of the airport the following day, so we'll probably get a decent view that way.
Jun 14th, 2009, 08:12 PM

I don't know exactly since I waited on the ground, but I would guess about an hour or so round trip. You could probably call the park and find out for sure.
Jun 14th, 2009, 08:12 PM

My son did the tram Friday, and said it's a 30-minute round trip. That doesn't count waiting in line to get on, though.

What all are you planning to do while you're in Albuquerque?

Lee Ann
Jun 15th, 2009, 06:22 AM
J62

Many people every day decide "it's worth it." Many people the same day decide "it's not worth it." Same ride, same mountain, same view, same weather, different person, different constraints. Only you can decide whether it's worth it for you.

If you love cable cars and high peaks then it's nice. If you're just considering it because it shows up on some guide book to do list or you'll just be watching the time then I say think twice. If you're afraid of heights or have lots of trouble with thin air then don't bother.
Jun 15th, 2009, 06:47 AM

If you do go, keep in mind that is much cooler up at the top. There is also a nice little station with information, hiking trail and restaurant [though quality of food has never been more than ok]. There are amazing views up there, I don't think seeing them from out of a plane window is the same. I have flown in and out of ABQ more times than I can count, it is very different looking from the top of Sandia.

There may be better adventures to invest your limited time in ABQ. What do you like to see/do? Museums, natural sites, zoo, shop, are all possible.

Deb