How long from Seattle to Seward

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2014, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Alaska in July and we have 7-8 days. A family of four, including two teenage girls. Are there one-way cruises from Seattle or Vancouver to Seward? How long would this take and any recommendations for cruise lines? Is train ride from Seward to Anchorage worthwhile. We want to rent a car in Anchorage and drive to Denali Park. On return take a flight back from Anchorage to Newark, NJ either direct or via Seattle/Vancouver. Thanks for helping us plan an itinerary.
Old Mar 18th, 2014, 05:12 PM

I haven't cruised to Alaska but I have done some research. It's on my list. We did a 2 week land trip last summer. We fell in love with Alaska.

I would take the one way cruise out of Vancouver on Holland America or Princess that includes Glacier Bay.

You can get an open jaw flight to Vancouver or Seattle (if there is a significant cost difference) and then fly home from Anchorage.
Old Mar 18th, 2014, 05:14 PM

The path by car or train between Seward and Anchorage IS quite impressive, particularly the part along Turnagain Arm.

I'll let others offer advice on the cruise lines.
Old Mar 18th, 2014, 05:17 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Since you want to take a vehicle take the time to learn about the Alaska Marine Highway. http://www.alaskaferry.com/Routes.shtml
You can learn about the ships, fares and schedules on the site.
Old Mar 18th, 2014, 05:22 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The one way cruises are 7 days - R-T is two weeks. So you don't have time to do anything but a one way cruise and transfer to anchorage to fly home.

You need to understand the scale of the place - Alaska is unfathomably ENORMOUS and even if you skip a cruise and fly straight to Anchorage, 7 days won't be enough time for much.
Old Mar 18th, 2014, 05:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with Janis. You will have to choose either the cruise one way or fly to Anchorage, rent a car. Distances are vast and highways a slow.
Old Mar 18th, 2014, 07:34 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Due to US maritime law there are no one-way cruises from Seattle to Alaska, only from Vancouver BC to Alaska. The one-way cruises (in either direction) are for seven nights, e.g. depart Vancouver on Saturday evening, arrive in Seward or Whittier the following Saturday morning.

A couple of cruise lines are allowed into Glacier Bay; you should look at detailed cruise itineraries to see which one appeals to you.

Seward is around 2 1/2 hours by car from Anchorage, closer to 4 hours by train. Whittier is around 90 minutes from Anchorage, depending on the length of wait for the one-way tunnel that serves both the trains and cars. There are car rental agencies in both Seward (Hertz) and Whittier (Avis) but rentals originating or terminating there (with Anchorage at the other end) tend to be expensive on a per-day basis. For a group of 3 or more, however, a car might prove cheaper than the train or cruise line transfers.

There are no nonstop flights from Alaska to Newark (it's farther than Newark to Dublin.) You'll have to change planes somewhere in the lower 48 - Seattle, Minneapolis, Chicago...

I assume your 7 days is NOT counting the cruise itself, i.e. you have 14 or so available.
Old Mar 18th, 2014, 07:54 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Gardyloo, >> I assume your 7 days is NOT counting the cruise itself, i.e. you have 14 or so available.
Old Mar 19th, 2014, 06:46 AM

you need a minimum of 3 days on the ground to go to Denali...one day to drive there (from Seward or Anchorage), one day to get on the bus early in the morning for the ride into the park, and one day to get back to Anchorage. The cruise lines which offer land/sea tours usually offer this as a 10 day trip....7 days on the cruise, and 3 days on land.

Just to get ideas, check out Princess cruises and Holland America. Both of these lines have been cruising in Alaska for the longest time, and have most of the Glacier Bay permits. There are other lines, of course, you'll really have to take a close look, figure out what things are most important to you, (itinerary, food, entertainment options, ship size, kids programs, cost, etc...) and then figure out which cruise line suits you best. Oceania, Regent, Celebrity, Norwegian are amongst the other possibilities. I really recommend taking a look at cruise critic if you want to do this, as you can learn tons from reading the reviews and forums there.

If you really only have 7-8 days you have to decide...cruise, or land but not both.
Old Mar 19th, 2014, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies. This has been very educational and helpful. I realize we will have to scale back on what we will be able to do in 7 (perhaps I will be able to add the 8th day). It is clear we will not be able to take the 7 day cruise, something to look forward to come back to. I am now thinking of flying into Anchorage from Newark or JFK. Rent a car and drive to Seward - take a Kenai Fjord all day tour, stay in Seward and drive next day to Whittier for a Prince William Sound 4-5 hour cruise. Then return to Anchorage and drive to Denali NP next day, spend 2 days and return to Anchorage and fly back. Please do not hesitate to let me know how this sounds and also recommendations to stay in Anchorage, Seward and Denali. Thanks again for your comments.
Old Mar 19th, 2014, 05:31 PM

Alaska has soooooooooo many scenic mountain views that you really DO get a full course of adventure merely for flying in and driving around.

When I went to Alaska (by car) I arrived in Anchorage and then, randomly selected Seward for a day trip and it was just grand!

Just wanted to pass along the vibe that, while it is fair to wish you had in store for you all of the scenery visible from a 7-day cruise, you will still get quite an eye full via flying in and driving around for a few days.
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 02:04 PM

Are there one-way cruises from Seattle or Vancouver to Seward?
- the one-way cruises are from Vancouver (to Seward &/or Whittier)
- from Seattle there are only round-trip cruises

How long would this take and any recommendations for cruise lines?
- I believe the Vancouver cruises are 7 days

Is train ride from Seward to Anchorage worthwhile.
- of course, it's a beautiful train ride; but I prefer a car (so I can stop & experience things). In Seward there is only one rental car company option, Avis. There'd be a one-way drop fee; but it may not be too much different then train fares to ANC. With a car you could stop and "smell the roses" in gorgeous places like Portage (easy hike into Byron Glacier) & Girdwood (hike to hand tram over a gorge at Winner Creek)