How long for Beartooth Hwy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Yellowstone the first of September. I have heard so much about the Beartooth Hwy & want to enjoy it also. We will be staying at West Yellowstone for 5 nights before moving down to Jackson for 2 days to enjoy GTNP. Will we have time to drive the Beartooth Hwy to Red Lodge & back down through Cody in one day? If this is not feasable, how far could we go up the drive & back in one day?
Thanks for any info. This is our first time to Yellowstone & we are sooo excited.
Karen
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 05:47 AM
cd

Karen, I have no specific info for you, it's been a few years since we've been there, but the Beartooth Hwy IMHO is a must! absolute beauty, you will not regret the time spent there.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 05:56 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
You could do it but that would be a killer day. We enjoyed spending the night in Red Lodge AND Cody. To just drive through, you're looking at about 8 hours in the car.

West Yellowstone to Red Lodge = 3.5 hours
Red Lodge to Cody - a little over an hour
Cody to Jackson - 3.5 hours

That doesn't give you time to stop and SEE anything much.

Why not do the Beartooth as one of your Yellowstone days?
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 06:17 AM

I agree with starrs. I would use at least one of those nights in West Yellowstone for other experiences.

Specifically, I would use one of the days to explore the beautiful northern part of Yellowstone, drive the Beartooth Highway, and to enjoy the delightful town of Red Lodge.

Spend the night in Cody and visit the amazing Buffalo Bill Historical Center. Your admission ticket is good for two days. You could see part of the museum in the late afternoon on the first day and more of it the next morning before you head for Jackson.

Cody is a fun place to spend a day, and there are good budget-friendly housing options.

HTTY

There is much more to
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 01:15 PM

Agree with starrs & HTTY, spend the night in Red Lodge or Cody. I'd take Cody because of the Buffalo Bill Center. I really enjoy driving trips, find them relaxing, but that one is a but much even for me. The timeline from starrs is on the conservative side if you want to take the time for interesting stops and sights along the way.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 01:34 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
starrs' timeline = driving and not stopping to see interesting things.

We drove from Old Faithful (leaving about 11 am), drove through YNP with only quick gas/bathroom stops in the park and at Cooke City, enjoyed the Beartooth but were scared because we were still driving through (what we call at home) winter weather, and were VERY glad to get to Red Lodge and relax. Actually, the driver collapsed on the bed to rest before dinner. The next day we moved on to Cody and loved the Buffalo Bill museum. Even if you have people in your group that aren't "museum people" they'll love BB.

I have to give another plug for -
http://www.meeteetsechocolatier.com/

We drove to Meeteetse, a little Western town that looks like a movie set. Their little museum is GREAT. The chocolates made by the cowboy are FABULOUS! It was like stumbling upon a Laduree shop in Paris. Amelia Earhart planned to move to here after her flight and had already sent her stuff which was in storage. Loved this tiny town (just outside of Cody).

Go to the Cody rodeo if you stay overnight.

Nothing against West Yellowstone (I used to hang out in Island Park) but I'd trade the last two days in West Yellowstone for a night in Red Lodge and a night in Cody.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 02:54 PM

Nothing against West Yellowstone (I used to hang out in Island Park) but I'd trade the last two days in West Yellowstone for a night in Red Lodge and a night in Cody.

I so agree. Next time we'll go to the rodeo!

HTTY