Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How late should I leave booking hotels in Hawaii?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 04:24 AM
dina

I don't know whether to book way in advance e.g 8-12 months or leaving it later for special bargains ? (on the 4 main islands)

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 05:44 AM
Laurie

Dina,
There isn't a simple answer to your question - it would depend on what time of year you are talking about - I have a rental condo on Maui that is booked now for the month of Jan. next year. It would also depend on where you plan to stay - whether or not there is anything to be gained (or lost) by boking later rather than sooner. Have you considered staying in a privately owned condo and renting directly thru the owner? Check my website if you'd like to get an idea of what's available in a private rental in Wailea (a top resort area) on Maui. My site is www. mauihawaiicondo.com. You can e-mail me if you have any questions about the hotels on Maui.
Laurie

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 10:00 AM
FedUp

Laurie-Did you read Fodor's rules? They clearly state ANY kind of advertising is prohibited! So, why the hell do you keep plugging your condo rental?? Go somewhere else, please!!!

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 03:32 PM
Dona

Hi Dina, my husband and I are going to Hawaii on June 1-18th. We have already booked out hotels on 2 islands and the plane fare(using aeroplane points) and booked one tour on the Big Island. We did all this in January. Now when I check the net, all the prices are way higher than what we got for the same time frame and hotels..we did everything thru the travel agent here in our town and boy are we glad we did. We are on Oahu for a week and the big island for a week.any other questions-just email me and I'll explain more how we did this.

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 04:37 PM
scigirl

Dina,

Hawaii is such a busy tourist destination that there aren't many bargins here. I think you are better off booking the best deal you can find early on. Afterall, if you happen to find something later you would still then have time to cancel the first reservation. I think hotel occupancy rates in the major areas average well above 85% for most of the year - which I think is considered very good by industry standards. I hope this helps - enjoy your trip.

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 05:48 PM
P'd off

Laurie your shameless hucksterism/schister mentality DISGUSTS me!!!!!!!!
If you can't follow the rules of the forum then stay the %@#*!*@ off of it!!!!

Old Feb 10th, 2001, 07:13 AM
dina

Thanks,

I don't thinkk we'll book a condo b'cus we are onlly staying 3-4 nights on each island.

We're planning to go in May 2002. But I don't know which are the best resorts to stay in either (except waikiki !). I've heard about these windy and wet sides of the islands, which side is this on?