How far Healy from Denali NP?

Old Mar 21st, 2006, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How far Healy from Denali NP?

Is Healy a convenient place to stay for 2 nights when I visit Denali NP? I've read that Healy is about 11 miles north of the NP, but how long is the drive? I'm a bit concerned that a motel in Healy's webpage says it takes 5 hours of driving from Anchorage. That long?

Is it more convenient/scenic to stay in Healy or Carlos Creek?

While you're at it, anyone has stayed at the White Moose Lodge in Healy? Or the Denali Mountain Hostel? The hostel has good recommendations, but I've never stayed in a hostel before so not really sure what to expect. The downside is I have to share baths, and the only room available is a standalone cabin where I have to walk outside for 75 ft to go to the outhouse. What to do in the middle of the night?! Bears? Ok, call me a wimp.
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 10:36 AM

JC98, if you do search here under Denali and Healy you should find many recommendations for places to stay while visiting Alaska. We liked staying in simple but with private bathrooms Perch Cabins located south of Denali NP entrance. Why would you want to stay in a hostel if this is not your style? Yes, it is about 5 hour drive to Denali area from Anchorage. It is about 10-15 minute drive from Healy to the entrance on Denali NP.
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 11:04 AM

JC, maybe I don't know the Denali area well but I always thought Carlos Creek is a campground.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 04:44 AM

Healy is a 15 min. drive to the Denali Park entrance. And yes it is at least a 5 hour drive Anchorage to Healy, but I would allow 6 hours. You can get bogged down behind slow moving RV's, construction etc.

If you are looking for a bargain motel, try Denali Park Hotel. I've stayed there several times, large rooms, fridg and microwave.

Myself, I don't do shared baths that are outside. But have done plenty in B&B's etc.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

The reason I'm not sure about Healy is that one guidebook I look at said "as a last resort" stay at Healy when you're visiting Denali. It favors Carlo Creek, south of Denali NP over Healy even though mileage-wise Healy seems a bit shorter. I thought maybe the drive to Healy takes a long time or unpleasant.

Wow, didn't know it takes so long to drive between places in AK although the distance seems short. I was planning on a 3 hour drive from Anchorage to Denali!

BQ, Denali Park Hotel is in Healy too?

Thanks.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 12:52 PM
jq

Hello JC again,
We also stayed at Perch south of denali. It was okay, price was right at $95, but nothing special especially outside and location. We have also stayed at entrance area and it was same way, but just convenient. If you want a little nicer area to stay in, I think Healy would be ideal. Check their website as stated for several places to stay. Coalminer on tripadvisor board lives in Healy and is knowledgable on places to stay as is BQ.

Hopefully, you will take your time on the drive from Anc to Healy and enjoy what you can see and do along the way. Talkeetna walk around, lunch, and summit flt are great. Other stops along way are nice.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 12:56 PM

Denali Park Hotel is just 2-3 minutes drive before Healy. We were there and we would go there again, as much cheaper than Denali resorts !!
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 05:17 AM

Carlo Creek is about a 20 min. drive to the Denali Park entrance, also the Perch in the same area. Many people greatly underestimate distances in Alaska- then have big problems if they are all booked. You are way ahead of the game with your research.

The Denali Park Motel is in Healy on the Parks Highway. http://www.denaliparkhotel.com/
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 12:22 PM

Healy is very convenient to Denali NP . . .surprised the guide book is steering visitors away from that area. We stayed in a lovely B & B there, but looks like you want something more inexpensive. We really enjoyed talking to the folks around Healy and eating at local places. Other than staying in Glitter Gulch, we found Healy to be closest to Denali entrance. It sure didn't seem like a 15 minute drive, but with that scenery, who notices time!