How early to see Yosemite Falls??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 09:16 AM
Thallia_uk

Hello from England!
We have just thoroughly enjoyed a Fall visit to Yosemite with the exception of the Falls being all but dry, so we are now planning another visit for Spring next year, to see what we missed! What I need to know is the *earliest* we could go to see the falls running.
Being from England we're not so bothered about how cold it might be - our hire car will have snow tires/chains, but we do want to see something of the post-thaw falls, before the main rush of Spring visitors. Can anyone tell me whether late March or early April would be too early and/or too icy?? Also, how often the Valley is cut off during these months.
Thanks very much
Thallia

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 09:43 AM
janis

Hi, Thalia. You are a Brit who holidays in California and I'm a Californian who spends all my holiday in the UK - go figure.

Yosemite Valley is seldon cut off due to snow. there may be the odd day the road is closed but generally only for short periods. The high country is another matter - but you will be fine in the Valley.

As for when - Hard to generalize. Just like the UK - one year to the next the weather can really vary. But - normally the best waterfall displays are from about Easter to the middle/end of June.

April can be glorious and warm (cold at night tho') or still snowy. But April through early May is my favorite (Favourite time in Yosemite. No crowds and lovely scenery.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 10:25 AM
Gene

My wife and I spend the second weekend in June in Yosemite (our anniversary) every year. The waterfalls and rivers are running full. Go rafting down the Merced River. The crowds aren't there yet either. Have breakfast at the Ahwannee - try to get the table queen Elizabeth sat at, you have a great view of the falls from any seat.

If you can, check out Hetch Hetchy Reservior in Yosemite. The drive and view will take your breath away. Go for a hike over the dam to the waterfall. Pretty cool.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 12:27 PM
terry

We have always gone to Yosemite in the early part of May. The falls are full and it's about the time the high country opens, though not always. The park is never at full capacity during this time.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 02:05 PM
Thallia

Thanks chaps ..... One other thought is this - we stayed in a gorgeous log cabin in Wawona (a few miles inside the south entrance to the Park) Is this counted as 'high country'?? (It was 5000 ft) Might the steep-ish windy roads from there down to Yosemite Valley be toooooo scarey when icy, say in late March or April ???
Th.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 03:36 PM
BillJ

Hi Thallia. Welcome back to Yosemite. The water will be at its glorious best as the snow melts in the high country surrounding the Valley, and feeds the falls and the rivers. The Merced River collects all this icey cold water and takes it out of the Valley, flowing generally west toward the little town of Merced. If you come to Yosemite on Hiway 140 through Merced, you can follow this raging river for a few miles through the awesome Merced River Canyon.
Spring time in the Valley is truly remarkable. Picking the exact time, however, is always a little dicey. Like picking the right day to visit Keukenhof months in advance. I think your best bet will be mid-May, or at least in the month of May. Earlier, and maybe there has not been enough high country snow melt and you do increase the risk of inclimate weather. March I think is too early. While May and June can produce storms, it is typically not so cold. As suggested above, even early June is ok. Water is still flowing strong, and the crowds don't appear until mid June.
We have visited Yosemite countless times over the last 50 years, living only a couple of hours away. We have visited at all times of the year. We always remember our spring-time visits with awe! The sheer power of the water, and the greenest greens you've ever seen.
May I most stongly recommend that you stay at the Ahwanee Hotel in the Valley floor. That way, you will avoid that drive back to Wawona. Also, you can enjoy night time in the valley, and one of the premier mountain hotels in the world. Have your high tea out on the open air patio, and absorb one of the most glorious places on earth. You might even ask for the Queen's room. Yes, she visited, I believe in the 60's, and stayed at the Ahwanhee. We ourselves lucked out one time and also stayed in the Queen's room. Nothing special by Continental standards, I should say, but pretty high class for Yosemite. The food at the Ahwanee is great..
At this time of year Hiways 41 and 140 into the Valley are rarely closed due to snow. There can be ice, especially in early morning and late afternoon in the shadows. Chains probably won't be needed, but should always be carried, just in case.
I would be glad to provide more information. Just ask.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 04:28 PM
kam

Mid May to second weekend of June. Be aware that Memorial Day is the last weekend of May though so more crowds then. In June you will probably need mosquito repellent. Last time we were there in June the falls were absolutely filled. You might want to try to get a reservation at the Ahwanhee, though Wawona is nice too.