Reload this Page >

How does the Boston Visitors Pass work?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 09:34 AM
Donna

Hi, I was thinking of buying a visitors pass for my upcoming trip to Boston since I will be relying on the subway system to take me everywhere. I visited the mbta.com website but I'm confused about how many passes I need to buy.

The website explained the the passes are valid for three consecutive days and it entitles you up to $1.70 fare value for unlimited travel on the Blue, Green, Orange, and Red lines, all local buses, and zones 1A and 1B of the commuter rail system. Since the usual fare is .85 cents and there will be two of us does that mean we need one pass each or one pass for the both of us since .85*2=$1.70?

Am I slow or is this confusing? Can you clear it up for me?
Thx.

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 10:10 AM
Boss Tonn

According to the MBTA web site, they are about to raise all fares on Sept 18th! The site may have been updated since you saw it last. The regular fare is being raised from 0.85 to 1.00, and the guest pass will be $6 per day. Welcome!

I am almost positive that each individual would have to purchase their own pass.

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 02:53 PM
Charles

You each need your own pass.

THe $1.70 is because some long trips cost more - ie. all the way out to the end of some lines. It's probably irrelevant for you as a tourist unless you are staying in NEwton

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 07:15 AM
Donna

Thanks to both of you for your responses. $1.00 is still not bad when you compare it to New York's $1.50!

Old Sep 18th, 2000, 09:36 PM
Julie

Just returned from a 5 day vacation in Boston and would highly recommend the 3 day pass. We were (each with our own pass) able to hop on any train and water-ferry without stopping to buy tokens or worrying what the fare would be. I agree that unless you are staying far away from Boston, you shouldn't worry about paying more that $1.70. Have a great time!