Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > How do you tip when breakfast & dinner is included with lodging?

How do you tip when breakfast & dinner is included with lodging?

May 1st, 2003, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

How do you tip when breakfast & dinner is included with lodging?

We will be staying at a country inn where the nightly rate includes a full breakfast and dinner. Is a country inn like a hotel, I have read that you do not need to tip for breakfast at a B&B, would this apply here? Also, I'm thinking we should leave a tip at dinner and in the room for the cleaning like when we stay in a hotel, is this the right practice? Thanks !
May 1st, 2003, 06:56 PM

Although you are right in thinking that most people would not tip specifically for the breakfast part of a B&B stay, a place that serves dinner implies more of a full-service restaurant. I think you will probably receive guidance from management in this case--maybe there will be a service charge added for the restaurant service portion, for example.
May 2nd, 2003, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks marilyn, I think it is a full service restaurant. We were going to leave a tip at dinner, now I'm wondering if we should also leave one at breakfast also. Not too sure how we would ask management about the policy since it would be a bit awkward. The website says that gratuities are up to the guest so I don't think there will be a service charge added.
May 2nd, 2003, 12:07 PM

caspur, I have encountered this dilemma as well, and have looked to this site for guidance. It appears that, aside from not tipping for breakfast, there is no established rule of etiquette in regard to tipping at inns/band bs.

I'll tell you what my husband and I choose to do: If breakfast and dinner is included {or if we pay seperately for dinner}, we usually add a generous tip for dinner, but not breakfast, to our final payment at the end of our stay. Often the establishment even has a seperate area on their bill for this.

I have never seen fellow diners obviously leaving tips at the end of a meal, as they would in a restaurant. Once, I was bold enough to ask a couple we grew friendly with at an inn what they did; they said that they left their tip in their room. Another couple left a tip in cash. We usually charge everything.

I think that your idea of asking the establishment about their tipping practice for meals is a good one. You needn't feel awkward; they will most likely be pleased to have a customer who WANTS to tip!
May 3rd, 2003, 12:07 AM

I've stayed in places that offer a full breakfast, but it's usually served buffet style. Even if it's buffet-style, someone should come around to top up your coffee or make sure you have your favorite jam for your toast. if that's the case, leave dollar per diner at the table when you leave. if you make a special request, like honey for your biscuit and someone has to fetch it, leave an extra buck or two.
I think the problem with tipping extra at dinner is that you may have different servers. even homey B&Bs have to hire waitstaff and busboys, and the servers should be tipped individually.

Search this Thread