Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How do you keep from getting sick after long flights?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2003, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you stay healthy? I always seem to get sick after long haul flights. I think it may be a result of bad plane food and lack of sleep that keeps me from resisting the germs picked up in the air and on surfaces. Any hints?

Old Jul 31st, 2003, 09:37 AM

I've heard that dabbing a bit of anti-bacterial lotion in each of your nostrils helps. Also, carry handi-wipes and wash your hands frequently. Drink lots of water and not a lot of alcohol. Anyone else?
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 09:39 AM

Load up on Vitamin C to stimulate your immune system.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 09:45 AM

Eat light while flying?? If I just nibble on what they give me, I don't feel as uncomfortable, and less apt to get upset stomach. I agree with lots of water!
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 09:57 AM
smileworld

doc has the right idea, and I'm giving it a try today. Will report results in a few weeks.

Old Jul 31st, 2003, 09:58 AM

avoid contact with pillows and blankets on the flight. if contact should happen, wash hands immediately with antibacterial lotion. when using the airplane bathroom, make sure to wash hands thoroughly, then use a paper towel to open and shut airplane door. use an antibacterial wipe to open tray table or touch any surfaces in or about your seat. upon arrival at hotel room, take another antibacterial wipe or 2 and wipe off the following: remote control for tv, all door handles, telehpone touch pad and cradle. if you used your laptop during flight, when your at the hotel room, wipe off the keyboard with a wipe as well.

these precautions have helped me immeasurably when i travel, which is often.

i also second the vitamin c thing, I take about 4-5,000 mgs of C 2 days before i fly.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 10:06 AM

I know a pharmacologist who takes echinacea/goldenseal for 2 weeks before any plane travel. I just try to stay hydrated and wash my hands fairly frequently.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 10:07 AM

Smileworld..You realize you're taking advice from a republican,I assume.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 10:16 AM

I read that tap water in airplane bathrooms is loaded with bacteria.

We carry a travel size container of Purell to "wash" hands.

I think that Purell is similar to what presidents use after shaking hands with a crowd.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 10:20 AM

flopmeister, good ideas - may I add, I carry plastic wrap for doors, knobs, remotes, phones, tiolet seats, anything I have to touch, in addition to microwipes. Also, never touch my face until I can wash well, and if my face itches, I use my glasses ear part to rub. Grocery carts are extremely contaminated, be very careful there too.
If any of you think we are over reacting, get a blacklite and look at your room/bath in the dark. You will be shocked. Still haven't found a way around lung/bronc irritation for airplane recycled air.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 10:21 AM
smileworld

Well, another GOP'er with a sense of humor!! That makes two this week! But remember, I'm not asking you for advice on budgets, taxes, security, gay marriages or Condy Rice! Only vitamin C, and I think your advice on that is reliable. Will report the results (assuming I survive)!

Old Jul 31st, 2003, 10:46 AM

I generally bring my own food on the plane rather than rely on what is served - sub sandwiches, salads packed in plastic to-go containers, cookies, and other things that travel well. I've also stuffed my own pillow into my carry-on for long flights, which makes for much better sleep.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 10:55 AM

After years of getting sick with bronchitis after coming back from vacation I figured out it was the poor quality of airline air.. So, two days before leaving to come home I start an anti-biotic....it works..Also carry Cottonelle for wiping down sinks and toilet seats..among other things..
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 10:57 AM

just remember, housekeeping typically use the SAME RAG to clean all surfaces (and i mean all) in your hotel room and on the plane. Future civilizations will no doubt look upon our sanitary pracitces as we do cannibalism.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 11:00 AM
smileworld

... goodness gracious, but who said anything about eating housekeeping's rag?

Old Jul 31st, 2003, 11:28 AM

This is my routine:

Drink lots of water.
Take "Emergen-C" before and after flight.
Bring my own snacks -- peanut butter crackers, raisins, etc.
Do not drink alcohol during the flight.
Wash hands frequently.
Hope I dodge the bullet.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 11:31 AM

All of the suggestions above are good ones. I always got sick after long flights until I started taking a product called Airborne. It apparently has many protective agents in it to help boost your immunity. It is available at Walgreens, Stop and Shop, and in the Magellan's catalog. I've been using it for the last 2 flights I took, and no sickness!
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 11:52 AM

I have never thought about this. I did get sick once on arrival in London, but otherwise I guess I have a strong immune system. BUT: what about acidophilus? does anyone think it would help de-potentiate bacteria that got into your stomach? I knew someone who took it all through her travels in India and was the only member of her group not to get sick.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 12:15 PM

yes, and a daily snack of Certified Organic Yogurt can be helpful also.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 12:27 PM

Bodi, ever watch the show, "Monk"? Just kidding! I too recommend taking extra Vitamin C daily as a rule (at least 1000 mg a day or more.) Sometimes I wake in the middle of the night with a cold, pop a couple C's, and wake up feeling great. However, what to do if you find yourself sitting next to someone who is hacking and sneezing the whole trip and the flight is full?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -