How do you get a VAT tax refund?

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 06:43 PM
Lisa

How do you get a VAT tax refund?

Anyone know if and how you can get VAT tax refund from a European hotel?

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 07:00 PM
Barbara

I know you can do this on one of the taxes charged on Canadian hotels, but not with any European country that I know of.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 08:19 PM
jane

Hotel VAT in Europe is only refunded when traveling on business. Vat forms are usually supplied by the hotel. You have to show proof, i.e. business card or itinerary to get a refund.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 09:22 PM
Gene

VAT is sales tax. When we were in Ireland in 1998. We purchased Waterford crystal and wool clothing. The stores provided the paper work for VAT refunds. They also have to provide information on the forms. We turned in the forms at the VAT office inside Dublin airport upon departure. We received a check in the mail 6 weeks later. Get to the airport early. The VAT line was about an hour long. I assume other European countries are similar.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 07:28 AM
Ann

I'm not aware of the business travel-related VAT refunds, so I won't address that.

For non-business travel, uou can only get a VAT refund on goods purchased in Europe that you take back to America. So basically, there are no refunds for services used in Europe, such as a hotel, car rental, eating/drinking at a restaurant, etc., etc.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 07:41 AM
Leone

I can report on VAT in Africa just to broaden the discussion. The same situation as Ann describes - no refund on hotels,foord, rentall cars and other services - just on products one purchase to take with them. But the process of refund is a gigantic scam, and hardly worth the effort. In Paris, I know the sales people will sometimes handle a refund transaction on the spot by knocking down the price if being shipped. Good luck. Ciao

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 10:07 AM
jane

I know for a fact you can get Hotel VAT refunded when traveling on business because I've gotten a refund by mail before. But like I said you must have proof. This is not refunded when traveling for pleasure.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 04:23 PM
tom

VAT is not refunded on goods or services used within a country. The only exception is if you are on official government duty - and even then it is not definite.

Goods sent or carried out of the EU or UK may qualify for the VAT refund. Not petrol since that is used "in-country", not Hotels, not meals, not dry cleaning, etc., etc. ONLY for things physically taken out.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 05:23 PM
jane

Please check out this website: ww.vrc-refund.com/html/vatchart.htm for vat re: business expenses for many european countries.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 05:30 PM
jane

Sorry about the typo try www.vrc-vatrefund.com and click chart. It gives a list of what types of refunds are given in each European country.