How do you choose a Passport Expediter?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am travelling to Africa in late July. I just realized my passport has expired (yeah, I am a dope). I need to get my passport renewed AND a visa for Tanzania and maybe Kenya. I know I don't have time to renew the passport in the normal way.

I understand there are expediting firms that will process my renewal. My question is: do these expediters really have better access (can they get it done faster, and how), and which ones are reliable?

Names of reliable firms are welcome.

mark

Old Jun 17th, 2007, 09:14 PM

I found mine because it is local to me, but they handle out of state requests as well. I feel it is reliable because they have helped me and others I know.

www.visalady.com
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 09:36 PM

I would call and make an appointment at the passport office. Normally you can only get an appointment if you are traveling within two weeks. But, if you need to send away for a visa immediately, then you can make an appointment. Make sure you take your plane ticket or e-ticket with you.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 11:15 AM

Caschaff - not sure if this helps, but I just got my passport in less than 10 working days by paying the regular expedited fee and enclosing a self-addressed, postage-paid express mail envelope. They received it last Tuesday and I just received it back today (meaning they processed it in 8 days).

If you're really worried, I agree with hills27 - I've read that you can get a same-day passport within 2 weeks of your travel date at your local passport office (assuming there's one in your area).

The passport office says that expediting firms are scams, btw... they have no more pull than regular people.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 11:57 AM

Reputable passport expeditors operate in your stead and walk the passports through the visa/ passport procedure - basically as a proxy. For me, it's a whole lot cheaper to have a professional handle it than for me to take time off work, fly down to Miami and do it myself. Heck, I don't even wash my own car - but have someone do it for me. Reputable expiditers are definitely not a scam - IMO anyway.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 01:12 PM

I just got my passport through a Passport Agency. They will allow you to make an appointment if (a) you can confirm you are flying within 14 days, or (b) like you and me, you need a visa in addition to the passport.

If there is an agency in your area, I highly suggest taking this route. Go to travel.state.gov and click on Passport Agencies to see the list. You then need to call the toll-free number to make an appointment - this can be a total pain! Just keep trying until you get through. Remember to bring your expired passport, new photos and e-ticket confirmation with you. You can download and fill in the form from the State website.

In my case, although I live in NYC, I went to the agency in Norwalk, CT because I was able to get an appointment that much more quickly.

If you are flying out within 14 days, they will let you pick up the new passport the same day. However, since that was not the case for me, they insisted on mailing it to me; I paid the extra $16 for overnight mail. My appointment was on a Thursday morning and I had my passport on Monday afternoon. (I do think the extra delay was because of all the passport hoopla earlier this month. Hopefully with the new regulations a lot of that has died down!) I paid $143, which was for the passport renewal, passport expedite fee, and overnight mail.

For my visa to China, there was an option for same-day service. I did not take it, and again had a two-business day turnaround time.

Good luck!