How do I get a discounted hotel rate?

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 07:47 AM
Maxine

How do I get a discounted hotel rate?

I am planning our vacation for the week after Easter in Florida. I have been checking on hotel rates via the Internet and the hotel's 800 # and I find I am being quoted the rack rate. How can I find discounted rates? Should I use a travel agent? Or, can someone recommend a reliable discount internet site? And can I negotiate directly with the hotel on rates? I would appreciate any feedback.

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 08:45 AM
Julie

I don't know about travel agents as I never use them for personal use. We are supposed to use a firm here at work but I always find that I can get a cheaper rate than they can?!#?

Yes, you may definitely call the hotel directly. Once they quote you a rate, ask for any specials they be be having (ie weekend rate, etc.) Keep calling. It's surprising, but the quoted rate may be different when you call again. Go figure. Also, check the individual hotel websites. If you don't know their website address, use yahoo or something to browse (ie: Hilton) and then check their sites for "internet only" specials.

I have used Travelscape.com to book a discounted rate (very good rate) and all went well. After I booked, I received a fax confirmation and I think I even called the hotel to confirm my reservation with them. The only issue with Travelscape is that you pay for it all up front - and they charge you a change fee ($25?) for canceling or making changes. Also, any changes you make which result in a credit to your credit card take 30 days to process (even though the only take 24 hrs to process the original charge!). All in all, I would definitely use them again -- especially if my plans were "set in stone".

Now, if you're talking Disney hotels, that's a different thing all together - repost if you are.

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 08:47 AM
Christie

I promise I'm not advertsing, but I just LOVE http://www.travelweb.com !!! I have had SO much good luck using their Hotel Booker to find rooms for disounted rates! Two examples: I stayed at the Wyndham St. Anthony (San Antonio, TX) for $99 a night, which was $75 less than their usual rates, and I stayed at the Ramada Plaza (Fort Worth, TX) during a convention weekend for $25 less than the group rate!! Give it a try!!

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 09:24 AM
Mustangs81

MAXINE: I have used priceline.com successfully for hotels 3 times.
*NY (Sheraton Towers on Broadway $125, in Nov no less)
*Hyatt in Disney area $60
*last week I stayed at the Wyndham on International Dr near Disney for $40. Everything has gone well.

What area of Florida? I don't know your standards, but, living in Florida and traveling many times a year throughout Florida, we find numerous discount motels. Many of them are newer so not too bad.

JULIE: I am going to try travelscape.com next time. Have you tried airline tickets on Travelscape?

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 10:01 AM
Owen O'Neill

I've used TravelWeb several times for business travel hotel reservatiosn and found that in some cases the rate was 15-25% cheaper, on other occasions it was the same as what the hotel charged direct. if you already know the rack rates it's certainly worth a call. Many people in this forum speak highly of Quikbook although I haven't tried them - it's certainly worth investigating. I have often had good luck negotiatiating directly with a hotel for lower rates. It's important to have something to bargain with, e.g. that you're staying for an entire week or close to it or renting multiple rooms. They typically have room to negotiate but if it's a busy season and they expect to sell out without discounting, then you're likely to end up paying the full rate.

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 10:02 AM
howard

As a general guideline, never use an 800 number when you're looking for the cheapest rate! If it's a chain hotel, call the specific site directly.

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 12:01 PM
Julie

Howard's point was right on.

And, no to the question -- I haven't used Travelscape.com for airline tickets -- just a hotel.

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 03:09 PM
Candace

Priceline is great for hotels if you are certain you will not be cancelling
I have used them for 3 trips for outstanding 3 star hotels in 3 major cities between $50 and $65 a night. Some of the hotels started at $250 a night. A friend just booked the Swan(4 star) at Walt Disney World for $70 a night.

Old Feb 23rd, 2000, 06:50 PM
Kris

Hi, Have you tried phoning 1 800327 9159
You can request a Kissamme/St cloud Visitors guide. It has lots of coupons for hotels and lots of discriptions and other coupons too. ITS FREE. In May Im staying at Days Suites for $59. One bedroom with full kitchen. This book lists web addresses of hotels etc. Check web sites for prices, and 800 #s and latestly call the hotel direct and get a rate, THen ask them if they give you a discount for AAA or whatever group you belong to. Hope this helps.
You can actually make reservations on 800 numbers more than one to hold a room then call back and cancel the ones you don't want and there is no charge if you cancell way ahead of your trip.

Old Feb 23rd, 2000, 07:05 PM
Arlene

Hi

I just booked a hotel on placestostay.com.
I found this site thru this forum.

Haven't checked directly with the hotel, but the rates were MUCH cheaper than direct.

Old Feb 23rd, 2000, 07:47 PM
al

try www.entertainment.com and order the florida book probably about 30-35.00 it has a lot of hotels with 50% discounts & discounts on dining & activities. You can also get a thing called an exit book from travel info centers which also has discounts on a lot of different things including hotels.

Old Feb 24th, 2000, 08:04 AM
Neal

Maxine:

Whatever option you select, there's a trick that works and often saves you a bundle. When you get to the desk to check in, see what the walk-in rate happens to be for that particular evening. Hotel managers under pressure to retain high "numbers" (occupancy rates) often drop the rates substantially (without advertising or warning) if there are rooms available for the night, especially in resort areas. They'd rather have someone in the room rather than having it sit empty.
Good luck.