Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How comfortable (or un) is Southwest Airlines?

Oct 25th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Have flown them a couple times, but not for a while and I don't think on any flight longer than about 2.5 hours. Now, we're contemplating going Oakland-Chicago on Southwest, but would like to know if they are any better/worse (leg and comfort-wise) than any other airline for that length of a flight?
Oct 25th, 2005, 01:07 PM
GoTravel

If you are flying coach it is six of one, half dozen of another.

There isn't really any legroom in coach on any of the airlines.

Oct 25th, 2005, 01:14 PM
P_M

Your best hope for a comfy seat is to be at the front of the line for the A group at the time of boarding. This way you might get a seat in the exit row. I was lucky enough to do this 2 weeks ago. Otherwise, SW is as good as any other coach seat.
Oct 25th, 2005, 01:16 PM

Hi Go!!

You're basically right, except that JetBlue offers a hair more legroom in its mainline Airbuses the farther back you go in the cabin. Also, you can freely select exit row seats (subject to physical ability to manipulate the exit doors) online-- which was a blessing when I flew them nonstop Long Beach to JFK.

However, it's a moot point here, since JetBlue doesn't service Chicago airports. Dammit.

Southwest's service is one class-- Cattle. They fly one type of plane (Boeing 737) in six-per-row configuration; it's as cramped as coach on other airlines (say, American). United does have roomier Economy Plus on some routes, but....
Oct 25th, 2005, 01:16 PM

Actually, some airlines, such as Jet Blue, offer more legroom than others.

Fly AA then Song and you'll see what I mean.

(I can't comment on Southwest; if it can't assign a seat, I can't purchase a ticket.)
Oct 25th, 2005, 01:25 PM
GoTravel

Hi rj!

Hooters Air also offers more legroom but they don't fly cross Oakland-Chicago either.

I knew when I wrote that the airlines were all the same someone would come back and point out that I wasn't exactly correct.

Y'all suck

Oct 25th, 2005, 01:43 PM

I've passed up Frequent Flier free trips on United for Southwest Seattle to Chicago many times. I don't have data, but I believe SW has more legroom and also the air is fresher. Plus, I prefer Midway, as it is closer to my end destination.
Oct 25th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all! And especially Orcas for some encouraging sounds about that legroom.
Oct 25th, 2005, 02:35 PM

Many of the SW planes I have flown lately have really nice new navy leather seats. Regardless of plane, they won't serve a meal, so brown bag it. The 'party sofas' at the very front face other so they may have more/less legroom depending upon your flight peers. Of course you can always choose exit door/aisle seat for maximum legroom.
Oct 25th, 2005, 02:36 PM

he he

"..Hooters Air has more *leg* room.." are you sure it is for the legs?

he he
Oct 25th, 2005, 02:37 PM

For me Southwest is terribly UNCOMFORTABLE< because I've gotten a cold or the flu EVERY time I've flown them for more than just a one-hour flight.
Oct 25th, 2005, 03:06 PM

I've flown Southwest many times, and it's not bad at all.
Oct 25th, 2005, 03:26 PM

wsox,

I think the newer SW planes don't have the "party sofas." Too bad for me, as they're great when flying with kids.

I like SW, and although it could be my imagination, it seems they do have a hair more leg room than most carriers. I really like the fact that they always seem to run on time, and in my experience, the staff is honest and cheerful, which is not the norm nowadays.
Oct 25th, 2005, 05:17 PM

I just got a SW credit card because my last 3 flights with them were wonderful, on time, and comfy. They make overweight fliers buy 2 seats...is this your issue? I've been a Delta FF for years, yet am never flying them again because of so many disasters this year. I think SW is the smartest airline out there. Check in online before you leave and you will get an "A" boarding pass.
Oct 26th, 2005, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip, LLinda! My "issue" is height and leg comfort, so what I'm hearing here is very heartening. THe decision's made - it'll be SW, just as soon as they start booking flights for next July.
Oct 26th, 2005, 06:54 AM

at 5'4" (barely) it's never been an issue with me, LOL! But I did spend a miserable flight once beside or rather all over an extremely obese person who ate the entire time and couldn't even put the tray down. But that's another post. Seriously, SW is relaxed, lots of times they play games and tell jokes. We just flew in FL Friday in the face of Wilma; when we got there the pilot said "welcome to Hawaii!" Everyone cracked up. We flew them from Louisville to Oakland (stop in Chicago) with no problems except for the disastrous traffic getting in and out of Oakland. We've also flown SW to Sacramento, which was far easier. Do a Google search and see why they are making money while others go under. They are certainly more comfy than those Comair connections!!
Oct 26th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Kal

6'4" and just flew SW from Sacto to Chicago.

Scored the exit rows at the stop in KC but the regular rows were OK for me, even when the person who was about 5'nuthin' immediately put the seat back when it was OK.

Flew SW to Vegas in August, ditto legroom. Loved United's Econ Plus as mentioned above.
Oct 26th, 2005, 08:28 AM

I don't have a problem with leg room since the flights are cheaper, but all of a sudden this year Southwest is having lots of delays. I flew to Oakland from San Diego around the 10th of October not only was our flight 2 hours late on the way over on the way back every flight of Southwest was late at least 8 of them 2 to 5 hours. So think if you at the airport 2 hours early that leaves you sitting 4 to 7 hours.
Oct 27th, 2005, 07:44 AM

In my opinion the only airline offering more leg space in economy is American Airlines. We flew from Brussels to Chicago and then to Denver with them and it's a big differencE;Worthwhile for the small surcharge. Paul
Oct 27th, 2005, 07:49 AM

tovarich,

How long ago was that? AA took away their "More Legroom Throughout Coach" deal a few months ago, and they are now more cramped than ever. When they had MLTC I would pay extra to fly them every time, but no more!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO