Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How are check-in/security lines at Atlanta airport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 10:07 AM
Todd

We are flying next week in and out of Atlanta for the holidays. I realize the lines at Thanksgiving are longer than normal travel days (even this year, possibly), but I was curious to hear about your line waiting experiences in Atlanta over the last few weeks (i.e., how much earlier before my flight leaves should I arrive?). Thanks for the info.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 10:52 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Todd, I've flown a few times out of ATL since 9/11 and not ever waited in line. I don't, however, check bags. If you check bags, I'm sure there will be a line, but someone else will have to report their experiences.

Hear's a tip - if you must check bags and the lines at the ticket counters are too long, either use the curb side check in or the check in counter right outside the MARTA trains. I've never seen a huge line there.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 12:46 PM
cg

My husband has flown out of ATL several times since 9/11 and the avg. wait has been about 45 minutes through check-in and security. It really depends on when you go. On Thursday and Friday, when all the business travelers are heading out of town, it can be 45 mins. just to get through security. We flew out Saturday morning a week ago, and it was about 20 mins. through security (we're elite and went through 1st-class check-in, which took about 5 mins.).

I'd allow 1-1/2 to 2 hrs., depending on how paranoid you are (we've been allowing 2 everywhere), and that should be fine. It's a busy airport, so they've worked out many of the kinks by now.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 01:00 PM
Brian in Atlanta

I have flown out a couple of times on a Friday afternoon and it hasn't taken more than 3 minutes to get though security (but it can take another 10 to get to the gate depending on which concourse I'm leaving from). Perhaps I've just been lucky.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 01:51 PM
cg

Brian - I think you have been lucky! But then again, it has been a bit flukey. We flew two weekends after 9/11 and waited in a huge line at check-in and walked right through security. I also work with a bunch of out-of-towners, and they've had huge waits some days, no wait the next week and then a huge wait the next week.

So...I'd rather be safe than sorry, but bring a book to read in case you're lucky like Brian and sail right through!

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 09:35 AM
Jennifer

Todd - I fly in and out of Hartsfield every week for business and have experienced few delays here in Atlanta (as opposed to many other airports). The line for checking bags has been very long so if you need to check bags, do so curbside. (note that you can now only bring 1 bag + a purse or briefcase onto the plane) The lines to get through security have been long, but they move quickly and it has taken me no longer than 15 minutes to get through each week. All that being said Thanksgiving may be drastically different as many people may be travelling for the first time with the new security measures. To be safe, I am planning to arrive at the airport 1 1/2 hours before my flight on Thanksgiving morning. Have a good trip.

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 09:55 AM
Enquiring Mind

Have they gotten the modern x-ray equipment down there yet or are they still using those hillbillies with the billy bob teeth and x-ray spex to try to see through the luggage?