Search

Houston's downtown tunnel system

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2004, 08:05 AM
emd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Houston's downtown tunnel system

I am going to Houston this week, staying downtown, and in doing research I found a good resource for info on the restaurants and shopping oppurtunities in the underground tunnel system. I used to live there but I had no idea the tunnel system is so extensive. It exists in a large area of downtown, and different sections are color-coded, like the metro in D.C. I found a map of the different color zones that lists and describes all the businesses and restaurants. It is at www.tunnelquest.com/houstondowntownmap.htm Also, I found another larger and more easilt readable map of the tunnel system and zones that can be used in conjunction w/theabove one at: www.treebeards.com/location/mpdtunn.html
I thought others who need to go there n the heat of summer or when it is raining might be interested in this resource. It looks like there are actually some pretty good places to eat underground- Irma's or Ninfa's for Mexican, Post Oak Grill, a few Asian places, including a Kim Son outlet, Treebeards, a few Italian pasta places etc.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 10:06 AM

Yes, it's a decent way to get around on foot, without having to expose heat and rain in downtown. However, it's nothing like what you will find in Montreal or Toronto, where it's like an extensive mall with shops everywhere. In Houston, there are stores/restaurants only when you're in the basement level of a building. When you're walking between buildings, underneath city streets, it's just a tunnel - at least that's my impression.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 11:32 AM
emd
Original Poster

rkkwan: Have you eaten at any of the restaurants below the buildings? I am looking for places to eat for lunch this Wed. and Thurs. and thought we would try the underground world.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 12:01 PM

I would try Treebeards. I think it's the best in the Tunnel.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 02:05 PM

emd - Sorry, don't know enough about downtown eateries...
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 02:58 PM

Check out inHoustonSearch.com (http://www.inhoustonsearch.com)

inHoustonSearch.com provides an easy-to-use tool for users to search businesses in uptown, midtown and downtown Houston including the tunnel system and parking in downtown area.

inHoustonSearch.com, formerly known as TunnelQuest.com, was started in 2001 for downtown employees to find their way in the Houston tunnel system. It has since grown into much more, with full Houston maps of downtown, midtown and uptown, Houston real estate links, Houston event calendar, Houston news, and online coupons. It has become the search engine for Houston.