Search

houston humidity

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 05:36 AM
Lori

houston humidity

Is Houston humid all year round or just in the summer? What's the weather like the rest of the year? We're from Chicago and we get terrible humidity in July and August. Right now the idea of losing this crappy neverending winter weather sounds like a blessing, but what's the tradeoff?

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 06:44 AM
Susan

Lori, humidity in Chicago is absolutely NOTHING like Houston. In the summer when you walk outside (something to be avoided!), your skin is instantly wet from the massive amounts of moisture in the air.

It does get better in the "winter", but the weather here is such that I have never owned a coat.

BTW, I grew up in Houston, and really detested the weather, and so moved north the moment I could. If you want pleasant weather year-round, I think San Diego would be more to your liking.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 06:52 AM
J T Kirk

Does the fact that they have numerous underground foot tunnels in downtown Houston clue you into the heat/humidity? No one wants to go outside for any reason, for any length of time.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 08:58 AM
Christie

As if the humidity wasn't bad enough by itself, the salt from the ocean combined with the humidity EATS the paint off your car! Lovely...

IMHO, if you want to move someplace warmer than Chicago and still be in Texas, consider San Antonio, Dallas/Fort Worth, or Austin.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 10:25 AM
Lori

Thanks for the honest feedback. My husband is interviewing in Houston and I'm trying to decide if it's somewhere I'd want to live.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 11:04 AM
Greg

Do you have alternatives, Lori?
Most people I've known from Houston, or those who live there, will acknowledge its downsides. Not that it doesn't have some great upsides, too, but it's not exactly Texas' most liveable city either (my sister used to live there, and we're originally from Chicago).

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 12:14 PM
Susan

I experienced no upsides to living in Texas. And it's not just me. My husband's cousin and his girlfriend boyfriend moved to Houston from Ireland (he was tranferred). They were very excited about the move, so I didn't really express just how much I hated Houston. They soon found out for themselves. They were supposed to stay for 3 years, they left after 1 year. Just before leaving, they came to visit us in Washington, D.C. When they left, they said that if they had come to a city like Washington (or New York, Chicago, San Francisco, etc.), things probably would have turned out a lot different.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 12:38 PM
Lori

What are the other downsides to Houston? I grew up near NY and have lived near DC and Chicago as an adult. DC was also very humid in the summer and the people made us want to leave despite the beauty ofthe east coast. Chicago has great people but the weather sucks and there isn't much to do here.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 03:15 PM
Linda

Susan, don't put all of Texas in your detest of Houston.
Lori, I lived in the NASA area south of Houston for 7 years and, yes, it is hot and humid and if the wind comes from the wrong way, you get a whiff of oil refinery. Having said that, I loved living next to the water, eating seafood, going to Houston for cultural events, etc. If you live north of the city, the whiff is gone but traffic is up. I got used to the weather, tho' never my favorite. You rarely have snow in the winter and you do have a lot of rain. I prefer Dallas, San Antonio and Austin for weather and less traffic. The coast is just a few hours drive so an easy weekend trip. The people are great!

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 05:05 PM
Anthony

I'm a native NY'er, and just spend 2 weeks in Houston for Business.
Houston offers nothing for a NY'er.
If you think there is nothing to do in Chicago, you would never be happy in Houston.
Texans are a breed of their own; they are extremely proud of being Texan, and it seems EVERY Texan knows all about their state's history. Every Texan knows what their state flag looks like, and are extremely proud of the fact that they are the only state that can fly their state flag at the same level as the US flag. All Texans will also tell you they are the only state in the Union that can separate from the country.
Some of the good points about the Houston area ( From an outsiders point of view):
VERY affordable housing - you can get a real nice home in a nice neighborhood for very little money. In fact, a recent survey quoted in The Wall St. Journal states that Houston is # 1 for getting the most house for every $ spent out of any US city.
Wide range of food choices:
Many people may not be aware of that fact that Houston is pretty ethnically diverse. There is a VERY large Asian population, made up of Chinese, vietnamese, Koreans, Thai. Also many Moslems(sp)That translates into many varied types of cusine, most of it which is authentic.
Good shopping.
Good Police force - I work for a bank, and our Houston branches employ the Houston Police to guard the branches. At 1st, I thought this was a strange arrangement, coming from NYC, but after spending time in our branches in Houston, I changed my mind. I thought this was a win-win arrangement for our bank and the Police. I have gained a respect for the Houston Police from just the 2 wks being there that I unfortunately will never have here in NYC with out own police. I have respect for them; and conversely, they have respect for the average citizen.

That's about all I was able to find positive about Houston.

The traffic is HORRENDOUS. The I-10 freeway, which is they only East /West Highway, is a parking lot from morning till night.
Texas is too car-centric. Texans don't walk anywhere. At work in a bank branch office, I was told that the bank drive-thru was too far too walk - it was actually only about 2000 feet away, across a grassy field, yet NO ONE ever walked to the drive-thru. In fact, everyone thought I was crazy for taking that 3 min. walk!

That's about it for the good things about Houston.

The traffic is HORRENDOUS - I-10, the main East/West freeway, is a parking lot most of the day.
Although there is a re-birth of downtown Houston, it is confined to a small section of the downtown, where new theaters, nighclubs, restaurants, and sports stadiums are being built. The rest of the downtown shuts down at 6 pm. It is NOTHING like the city of Chicago.
There is a small, very pretty Museum district, but nothing Houston has comes even remotely close to the Art Institute.
Houstonians seem very provincial - and I think they are proud of that.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 05:18 PM
sarah

My husband and I also grew up in a place with cold, crummy winters and hot, humid summers (PGH, PA). Right out of college we jumped at the chance to live in Clear Lake (part of Houston). We lived there for 10 years, and we had a lot of good times, but it never felt like home. There are no ethnic neighborhoods like in Chicago or Pgh. My husband has an Italian last name and no one could pronounce or spell it. We hardly ever even saw any old people! It was wierd. The yards are very small. It is flat. The grass is what we would call "crab grass". The crime and traffic are horrible (I was raped at gunpoint one month after moving there). The air pollution is now worse than LA. The summers got worse and worse--one never sees their neighbors during the summers. The winters are unpredictable. Worst of all, we felt trapped. We couldn't drive to the mountains to ski on a long weekend. Once you're that far south, you're stuck there, unless you are willing to fly everywhere. Since we were in our 20's we could only afford to do those types of trips once or twice per year. We missed corn, apples, and good tomatoes. We missed forsythias, pussy willows, and pumpkin picking. After our second child was born we decided to go back to the Northeast and have never regretted it. Although we still live 8 hours (by car) from Pgh, and have long cold winters, it felt like home immediately here in CT. Best wishes.

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 05:28 AM
Lori

Thanks again for all the replies. Sounds like even with the Gulf nearby Houston still isn't my beloved East Coast. Then again we don't see our neighbors in Chicago from Nov-April, there's NO salt water, and my husband commutes 3 hours a day so we don't have to live in an 80 year old house. We'll see.

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 05:40 AM
Susan

Lori-I live in D.C., and the humidity here is nothing compared with Houston. I love the summers in D.C.! But, yes, the people are incredibly annoying.

I'm a Texan, and it's not something I'm proud of. Fellow Texans seem to be obsessed with the state, and I'm not quite sure why. Even with all of the problems (annoying people most of all!) of the D.C. area, that's where I tell people I'm from, rather than Texas.

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 06:53 AM
texasgirl

lori, as a resident of texas for 10 years, (and I cannot sing the texas anthem, tell you the state's history or brag about my handgun collection), i believe a place is what you make of it. I don't live in houston, but i like houston. It does not take itself as seriously as many other cities _its beloved institutions include the Art Car parade, the Hair Ball (which is exactly like it sounds, a charity event in which people compete to have the biggest most elaborate hairdos) and the Orange Show, a very odd folk-art installation. The Menil and the Museum of Fine Arts Houston are fabulous. There are terrific restaurants, from expensive to dirtcheap authentic ethnic ones. The opera and ballet and theater are good.

People seem to like to hate texas _ and i wasn't crazy about it the first year i lived here either _ but if you come here with an open mind, and realize everyone in texas does not fit the stereotype (and stay inside in july and august!), you really might like it. Personally, i wouldn't want to live in Washington DC or New York or the upper midwest again, but I don't like to say everyone else will hate them.

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 07:07 AM
Donna

Lori, I am a native Houstonian and I must tell you that I have grown quite weary of Houston over the past 15-20 years. The summers are brutal, and it seems to get worse every year. The humidity is only part of it. You now have to factor in the dangerous pollution levels and constant ozone alerts. There are times when the people are advised to stay in as much as possible. Most of the blame seems to be put on the petrochemical factories, but I truly believe that automobile exhaust is the worst culprit. Houstonians, and Texans in general, are addicted to their cars. In their defense, however, the lack of a comprehensive mass transit system has left us with little or no alternative. However, if you are tired of the bitter cold, you will enjoy Houston during the winter, provided it is not a rainy winter. There is not much seasonal variation here, I'm afraid. I tend to think that, coming from Chicago, you will find Houston somewhat of a cultural backwater. The housing is affordable and the city does have its good points. I wish you and your husband the best of luck in whatever decision you make.

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 03:26 PM
Jillian

Sarah,
You have peaked my curiousity. I still live in Clear Lake and there is very little crime here. So I'd be interested in where exactly and when you were raped at gunpoint. Always like to be informed of the circumstances of the crimes being committed. Oh by the way Lori, most of what is being said is true - summers SUCK but every other time of the year is great, unless you have allergies like a great many people do after they move to Houston. Traffic is horrible. I don't agree with nothing to do though - that's one of the things I love.

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 04:33 PM
Gary

Lori:
I was born and raised in NYC, and moved to Dallas very reluctantly 22 years ago as my job was transferring. We lived there 6 years, really liked it, and an opportunity came up to move to Houston, where we've lived for 16 years. I love it here as do many of my friends that are not natives. Yes, it is humid; the summers are tough, but you learn to live with it, to get the relatively temperate conditions through the rest of the year. Someone above said they'd rather live in Chicago -- to me, I don't understand how someone can complain about heat and humidity, but move somewhere it's freezing 6 months of the year. As I've often heard down here, you don't have to shovel humidity! Houston is a great place to live, although admittedly not a great place to visit. People are very friendly, life is easy, lots of good restaurants, lots of culture, a good place with good values to raise children, overall, it gets my vote any day over NY, where I love to visit, but wouldn't live again if you paid me.

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 09:39 AM
Bex

Why I hate Texas:
LBJ, W, big hair, cowboy boots, Alamo, TRAFFIC.

Why I love Texas:
LBJ, W, big hair, cowboy boots, Alamo, TRAFFIC.
AND, Lyle Lovett, Larry McMurtry. Barbara Jordan, Ann Richards, Austin City Limits, the list could go on forever.

Would I ever move? Probably. But I seem to keep coming back. Lived all over the US, Caribbean and Europe btw. Guess my point is, home is what you make it. Good luck in your potential move.

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 07:24 PM
Syl

Ok, I've got to put in my 2 cents worth. I've lived in Houston since 1955 and yes, it is awfully humid, though D.C. and New Orleans seem just as awful in June through September, but that is why all the city is airconditioned; we even build underground tunnel system downtown to keep us nice and cool.
So what's the upside..
Great job markets,low cost of living,no state income taxes, incredibly affordable housing, the theater district(Alley Theater,Jones Hall, Wortham Theater,etc.), fabulous restaurants,very diverse population, the best Medical Center (esp. Heart and Cancer facilities), Rice University, Enron Field, Museum of Fine Arts, Museum of Natural History, a revitalized downtown section, friendly folks, gardening weather year around with the Azaleas blooming in all their glory every March,and no harsh winters.
If you run out of things to do here,you are an hour drive from Galveston and the Gulf,3 hours from Austin and the Hill Country, 3 1/2from a juant to San Antonio and the River Walk. Yes, there are a few bragging Texan types, but they are in the minority here as we have become too cosmopolitan and sophisticated especially with all the influx of residents from all areas, both domestic and international.

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 07:30 PM
linda

There are some great suburban neighborhoods like the Woodlands that are tough to find any where else. Especially at the low prices. Keamah(sp?) is a really nice place to go eat by the water, although its far from the northern and western areas where many of the great planned communities are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -