Search

hotwire

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2003, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hotwire

Should I be afraid to use this site. I never have and Iam worried I will get a horrible shotel
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 02:22 PM
Bo

Go to BetterBidding.com for help with Hotwire (and Priceline).

They may be able to help you identify the hotel before you purchase based upon the star rating and amenities shown. As the very least you can get an idea of what type of hotels are typically rated at each star category.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 05:11 PM

If you go to better bidding, you will get almost nothing.

Go to biddingfortravel.com to get the real flavor for priceline.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 07:16 PM

I have used Hotwire for many years for Boston, NYC, Baltimore, Montreal, and other cities. I have never once been less than thrilled with the hotels and have always been totally thrilled with the rates, compared to those available for the same places on the same dates, through all other resources.

I'm also an avid Priceline user. In the overall, I've been more thrilled with the Hotwire hotels, but have received (often significantly) lower rates with Priceline.

The only time, using Hotwire, I thought I might be distressed with the hotel (it was "only" a Holiday Inn, designated a 3* by Hotwire), it turned out to be positively outstanding - more like a Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Sheraton - that particular Holiday Inn. (And, my sister booked the Sheraton down the road for twice the price, and it wasn't nearly as nice.)

After staying at the Doubletree Downtown in Boston with Hotwire (designated a 4*, and, not in my opinion, worthy same), I completed the follow-up survey that I received after our stay. Not long after, the * rating dropped. Other than that, I have never had the slightest quibble with Hotwire's star ratings.

Via Hotwire, over the years, we've stayed at the Waldorf in NYC for $109, Le Parker Meridien in Boston for $105, the Hyatt Harborplace & Renaissance Harborplace in Baltimore over and over again for under $100, when we would have paid $200-300/night for the same rooms through other resoures.

Though I usually stick to 4* offerings, except where there aren't any, I have never once been disappointed with a Hotwire hotel.

Not a one has ever been "horrible".
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 07:29 PM

I have also used Hotwire on several occasions and always been pleased with the results. I am usually able to tell ahead of time what hotel I will get by looking at the rating and location guides and checking to see what others have recently got in the same area. In New York this spring I got the Millenium Times Square for $105, and just two weeks ago I got the Airport Hyatt in Orlando for $55. No trouble with any of the bookings. In fact, my room at the Millenium in New York was a corner room on the 27th floor looking directly out on the Chrysler Building. Just make sure you choose a 4* or better hotel and you can't go wrong. You can get similar accommodations on Priceline for cheaper prices but it's harder to tell what you're going to get ahead of time. For instance, in June I got the Westin St. Francis in San Francisco for $65 on Priceline. I was hoping to get the Hyatt as several people had just gotten it for the mid-$50's but you never know until it pops up.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 08:28 PM

I recently used Hotwire for a hotel in Manchester, NH. It was a very busy weekend and everything was booked weeks in advance. I thought I was lucky to snag a room at all. However, we paid $149 for a room that went (retail) for $99 the week before - inflation due to the special events in the area - and we got what has to be the very WORST room in a mediocre hotel - the Wayfarer Inn. The room was dank and smelled of mildew. It had such an effect on me that I needed an antihistemine. In fact, I was afraid that spending the night there would be dangerous since I suffer from asthma. I asked the front desk for an air filter (which they didn't have). I was told they couldn't switch me to another room because they were sold out. I was about to go down the road to Sears to buy an air filter when a very symphathetic manager offered to put me in another room - one that hand't yet been checked into. Apparently, they were well aware of the condition of my room and didn't want any health problems. Had I gotten the second room first, I wouldn't have any complaints. But what a coincidence that the hotwire guest got stuck with it! I also used Priceline recently and got a great price at a Hyatt but, again, probably not the best room - view of a brick wall when most of the rooms had views of the bay and city. I'll use both services again, but only when money is more an issue than ambience.