Hotels near Disneyland

Oct 13th, 2004, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Hotels near Disneyland

Hi,

Can you kindly suggest economy hotels around Disneyland suitable for 3 night stay (family with 2 kids - 5&8yrs). We are not driving so prefer a hotel that is within walking distance and convenient for kids.

On one of the web sites, I came across two hotels, claimed to be opposite Disneyland Parks, offering attractive promotional rates (~$45/night):
1. Castle Inn & Suites
2. Anaheim Plaza Hotel

Appreciate if you can share any inputs for these or any other suitable budget hotels around Disneyland. If you have specific advise on things to avoid or look for while deciding on the hotel around Disneyland, that would be valuable indeed. Thanks.

Regards,
-S
Oct 13th, 2004, 06:22 AM

Most of the DL hotels claim to be within walking distance, and while they are, its not always an easy walk after long, fun days at the parks. We've stayed at a number of them over the years and while we walk TO the parks in the a.m., we usually took the shuttle back in the evening.

The hotel that is directly across from the DL entrance is Best Western Park Place Inn. There's a Ramada Inn next door, and then another Best Western, also. What time of year are you going? That rate is extremely low, even for off season IMO.

Check out disboards.com, go to their DISCUSS page, then click on Disneyland. You'll find tons of info there.
Oct 13th, 2004, 07:21 AM

AAA rates the following budget hotels as among the best....they usually offer continental breakfast which can be a good $avings for a family.

anaheimdesertpalm.com
carriage-inn.com
candycaneinn.net
carouselinnandsuites.com
econoatdisneyland.com

With a family of four, be careful not to choose a property that is charging to ride their shuttle (it's becoming more and more popular and $7pp roundtrip for a family of four adds $28 to your room rate daily).

Also, if you're going in low-season when there are plenty of vacancies, check out the coupons available at roomsaver.com, because you can drive to Anaheim, look around at the properties, and then approach them with your "last minute coupon".
Oct 14th, 2004, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

We plan to be there in the first week of November. The rates for the two hotels were advertised on www.lastminutetravel.com web site. Will also check out the disboards.com site. Thanks for the inputs.

regards,
-S
Oct 14th, 2004, 07:09 AM

The Super 8 Motel Disneyland Park is just a short walk away from the park. The motel is very clean and safe. No need for a car if you are just going to Disneyland. They usually have very low rates during the off-season.
Oct 14th, 2004, 10:16 AM

Anaheim Econolodge is an excellent budget hotel (weekdays about $42, weekends $46 in Nov)...but is a very long walk to the park and they charge for the shuttle.

Parksidehotels.com offers a $39 rate at the Parkside Inn and is a short walk to the Disneyland Parking lot where you can hop onto the tram. The hotel is older and worn-out but clean and convenient.
Oct 14th, 2004, 12:42 PM

A note about breakfast spots near the entrance to D'land:
Mimi's Cafe is a far better value than the IHOP.
Mimi's food, overall, is better. The service was better over 3 mornings. The price was $10 less for two adults - compared to IHOP - which I used to enjoy.
Don't know what your 5 & 8 year olds eat normally for breakfast...If it doesn't apply to you, then this may be helpful to other readers, as well.
Oct 14th, 2004, 06:25 PM

We just returned from a 7 day trip to disneyland 2-9 October. Our family of 4 (kids - 6 and 9) stayed at the Howard Johnson. On a scale of 1 - 10 it would be an 8. We had 2 queen beds with a mini fridge that actually fit quite a bit. One thing I was really impressed with was the amount of cupboard & closet space for all of our clothes! The walk is 7 minutes to disneyland. It was perfect! They have 2 large pools plus a wading pool for kids plus a splash zone plus a hot tub! The grounds are lit up at night and the buildings are scattered around the property. We stayed in building 2 overlooking the garden pool. To save a bit of money and to eat healthy, we really recommend going to Von's groceries and picking up cereals, milk, meats, cheeses, buns, etc.... HoJo also has a store if you run out of anything. We ended up having breakfast 5 out of 7 days in our room and then we came back to our room at around 1 or 2 and had lunch around the pool. Swam a bit and relaxed. Then we went out for dinner and back to disneyland. This way we could splurge on dinner and/or other things! A couple great restaurants in the vicinity are Joe's Crab Shack, Tony Roma's, Rainforest Cafe. The hotel was reasonable and the staff were very helpful!!! Check out trip advisor web site and HoJo is rated #2 hotel. Some people have commented on there about the freeway noise but it was not a problem at all for us and our building was the closet to it. Disneyland & California Adventure are GREAT!!! Hopefully it won't be too crowded. Universal Studios is worth a visit too!!!!
Oct 15th, 2004, 07:11 AM

Wow, 7 days in Disneyland sounds so great! I've never been there for that long before. I bet your kids had a wonderful time!

We're considering a trip to DL next month but I want to pick the least crowded day. I can get a good rate at the Grand Californian on a Tues. night and then go to DL on the Wed. before the Veterans Day holiday. Do you think we'll beat the crowds?

I wanted to steer clear of Thanksgiving Day week, also. ***kim***
Oct 15th, 2004, 07:22 AM

kim that sounds like the perfect day to go to Disneyland, though we've found that on "slow' days, they close down half of the food shacks etc and the lines are just as long as on busy days as far as food goes.
If you have a "season pass" to Disneyland, you get a special rate at the Disney hotels. Sometimes it's $80 or $90 less than for non-passholders. Make sure you inquire about the passholder room rate for that night. Makes sense to pay $50 more for the season pass if you'll save $90 on the room. And you only have to buy the pass for one member of your party.
Oct 21st, 2004, 08:27 AM

We spent months in Staybridge Suites in Anaheim. They have transportation to Disney, great pool, free laundry, free breakfast, and Sundowner tues-thurs nights.It was a fun place with all the kids there. I didn't need a car there at all. We had Albertsons diliver our grocies. I hope you have fun.
Molly
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:02 AM

As others have said, beware of hotels saying they're within walking distance. Everything anywhere is within walking distance ! but the actual walk is much longer than you expect, especially after being at the Park.

Shuttles are nice but do take up more time than we expected. Next year we plan to stay on site or directly across the street to maximize our time.

Molly: How much does Albertsons charge to deliver groceries, and is there a minimum order?
Oct 21st, 2004, 12:14 PM

We have actually stayed at the Castle Inn a few years back. At that time, we thought it would be a place we would stay again. Don't know if it has changed but we liked it. When we went, there was my wife & I, our 2 sons, & my wife's niece. They had some rooms called mini-suites, which is what we used. It had a partial wall, not a complete other room. Which gave the niece some privacy & it worked out well for all off us. Plenty of room for everybody to sleep. They seemed to have a nice pool, but for the 4 days we stayed there, we were so busy during the day, we didn't use the room except to sleep at night & to cleanup. We were there in the summer & had no problems sleeping. But trying to us the shuttle to disney which stops at numerous hotels to & from there was ok. Going to disney was fine, but coming back to the hotel at closing time was horrendous, 1 bus which kept to its schedule & a couple hundred people trying to use it, ended up waiting for 3 buses before we could get on. At a slack time of year, that may not be an issue. We had a car rental in order to drive to other places, but after the 2nd time of using the bus I thought I would rather drive the car over & pay for parking than take the free shuttle. Hope that has changed for the better.
Oct 21st, 2004, 01:03 PM
Melissajoy

Disneyland is my favorite mini-vacation. Have taken the family for years.

We have stayed in the Carousel Inn. It was okay...I'd rate it a "6" out of "10". It was a perfect location for walking to Disneyland. But the air conditioning in my bedroom was too cold and there wasn't any manual control in the room...I called the office and they control your air conditioning. but it was so cold at night that I had to keep turning it off, and then we'd get too hot since this was August! Also the rooftop pool is small and uninviting for adults, though small kids might like it.

I prefer the Candy Cane Inn, which is the ONLY hotel near Disneyland which has its very own free shuttle, not shared with any other hotels. There isn't any problem with catching this shuttle, since it only goes to the Candy Cane Inn. You can relax and know you have a place on the shuttle. It does leave exactly on time, sometimes even a minute early, so you need to get there 5 minutes ahead to make sure it doesn't leave without you! The Candy Cane Inn is a 10 or 15 minute walk to the gates of Disneyland if you really want to walk. Also they have a free breakfast including things like cereal, toast, bagels and cream cheese, coffee, tea, juice. I like the "Deluxe" rooms because they are a little bigger and are further from the street. The standard rooms are too small and are closer to the street.

Have fun!

Oct 26th, 2004, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. Based on the advise received from many of you, I decided that the best option would be to stay as close to Disneyland maingate as possible.

Finally, I have made my bookings with Best Western Anaheim Inn which is supposed to be across the maingate. It was a little bit pricey but I thought it may not be worth making the kids wait for shuttles or risk taking long walks on the way back to hotel after a day of fun at the parks. Hope the choice is worth it. We now have a few days extra so I have also decided to spend 1 day extra at the parks (i.e. 3 instead of 2-days planned earlier).

Once again, thank you all for being so generous with your advise.

Regards,
-S
Oct 26th, 2004, 03:03 PM
minnie17

To kim...
hi..we are frequently go to Disney during the week. tue,wed,thurs are usually not crowded. Fridays are also ok before 5pm (if it is not a holiday weekend). Just be aware of the earlier closing hours on the week days.
minnie.

Oct 26th, 2004, 03:07 PM

Hi Minnie! ( How's Mickey,LOL!) Could you let me know which rides are down and also how the weather is? We're considering a day in DL in early November, possibly a Wednesday. What time do they close in Nov? We've not been in this month before. ***kim***
Oct 26th, 2004, 03:19 PM
minnie17

Hi kim,
Right now, the following rides are down:
Tiki room
Small world
Matterhorn Bobsleds
Sleeping Beauty castle
Space Mountain
..small world is closed temporarily for holiday installation,I dont know when this will be finished, the rest are under refurbishment and wont be open in Nov. Te weather..

Oct 26th, 2004, 03:23 PM
minnie17

oops..computer glitch...
I was saying the weather is rainy at the moment. November is usually nice.
Disneyland is open 10-8 weekdays
California adventure is open 10-6 weekdays.
have fun.
minnie.

Oct 26th, 2004, 03:48 PM

Thanks, minnie! Last trip I planned was around the Pirates of the Carribean being refurbished. Do you know if the Grand Californian offers the same things as the Disneyland Hotel as far as opening an hour early to hotel guests? ***kim***

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO