Search

Hotels in Seattle

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 05:57 AM
Alice

Hotels in Seattle

We are visiting Washington/Oregon in October. Looking for a good/reasonable hotel in downtown Seattle. What is the scoop on the Camlin Hotel or the Hawthorn Inn & Suites?

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 04:12 PM
d.embody

We have not stayed at the Hawthorn Suites in Seattle, but we have stayed repeatedly at the Hawthorn Suites in Atlanta and have been very happy. I bet they would be just as nice in Seattle because I've heard good things also about the one in Charleston.

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 02:25 PM
ldsant

Alice:

If you provide the addresses I can let you know exactly where these are located and the neighborhood that hey're in. I thought Hawthorn was near Sea-Tac, but I could be wrong about this.

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 03:41 PM
peggy

I've stayed at the Mayflower Park hotel downtown Seattle twice. A smaller hotel, and very nice - comfortable and quiet. Could walk to Pikes Market, shopping, restaurants. I don't know about the other hotels you mention.

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 06:05 PM
John

The Hawthorn is a remodeled 60s-era motel located in a rather bleak area not far from Seattle Center. It's certainly walkable from lots of places in downtown, but it's not terribly convenient to the Pike Market, Pioneer Square, etc. No idea on the quality of the accommodation. On a rainy October day it would be a miserable walk to the happening part of downtown.

The Camlin is an older hotel with a local landmark bar, the "Cloud Room" on the top floor, now distinctly NOT in the clouds compared to all the other buildings built since. Still a fairly populat martini-and-piano-bar sort of place with the gen x and younger crowd. Better located IMO than the Hawthorn, but no recent knowledge. It used to be managed by the reputable West Coast Hotels chain, but no longer?

Either place will probably be okay for a couple of nights, but you might enquire about specials at the better places - there's been a lot of ink lately about how some of the premier properties are cutting tourist rates - maybe worth a Priceline or Expedia shot.

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 08:20 PM
CHRIS

STAYED AT THE CROWN PLAZA DOWNTOWN, LOCATION GREAT ROOM AND HOTEL EQUALLY GOOD
BEWARE THAT THEY ROLL UPTREETS AT6:00PM ALL WE FOUND OPEN WERE THE RESTURANTS.

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 08:30 PM
julie

We stayed at the Mayflower park hotel in Seattle in July. It is expensive but worth every penny. Call them as well as looking on the web for specials. Then take your lunch from now on in order to splurge on this place. You won't be sorry.

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 08:46 PM
Kate

We stayed at the Camlin two years ago and it was not a great experience. Lobby had been remodeled and it was beautiful; wish I could say the same for the rooms. The service was terrible. Maybe they have made some changes since, but I would recommend another hotel. It almost ruined my trip to Seattle.

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 09:43 PM
Kay

Stayed at Mayflower 2 times in last 3 years. My main reason besides, being a great hotel, is convenience.
Down one flight is access to transportation system, up one flight is multi-storied shopping with good food court and Monorail station to Seattle Center is in same shopping area. It is a walkable distance to Pike's Market. Plus, the service was good and every AM there appeared a coffee service at elevator alcove--Starbuck's no doubt....