Hotels in San Francisco

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Sharon

Hotels in San Francisco

Can anyone recommend some hotels in San Francisco? I have stayed at the Wharf and I do not want to do that again.
I like the W in NY a lot but, the one in SF seems quite expensive.
Any feedback on the Grand Hyatt in Union Square or the Westin St. Francis?
Any other suggestions?

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Gregory

Hi,

The Hilton San Francisco (333 O'Farrel Street- 5 minutes walk from Union Square )is ok, Checkin/check out is quick my rooms was fine and well decorated and appointed. They have a fitness room and outdoor swimming pool on the 16th floor in Tower 3.
Apparently they have over 2000 rooms in three towers so there can be a little bit of a walk to the elevators and to the room but i did not find it too bad in tower 3 .

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 09:51 AM
sofia

If you get on Priceline put in four star or better at $70. You'll get something great. We stayed at the Inter-Continental. Service was exceptional. The Hyatt is close to the wharf too. I have also stayed at the Sheraton and did not care for either. Try priceline and take your chances. Stay away from the Wharf area though. There's so much more to see.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 12:47 PM
Sandy

Sharon, there are several Hyatts in San Francisco and the Grand Hyatt is in Union Square, not by the wharf. It has an excellent location and I've stayed there a couple of times when I was a Hyatt employee and got an excellent rate, however I was never very impressed with the service there. They are a bit snotty.
The Westin St. Francis is very nice. I prefer the boutique hotels like the Hotel Monaco or the Prescott. Last time we went we stayed on Nob Hill at the Renaissance Stanford Park and liked it very much. I've not been inside the Mark Hopkins, but I hear it's very nice and I know the Fairmont was recently renovated so it may be worth a try if you can get a good rate. Have a great time.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 01:07 PM
kam

Love the renovated Fairmont. The St. Francis is good---ask for a tower room if you want quieter. Some of the rooms in the old hotel are dark and without any view except of other hotel windows. Good location for Union Square. You might also look into the Sir Francis Drake, Prescott, Villa Florence etc. Go to sfgate.com and click on visitors guide.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 01:23 PM
bean

I'm going to SF for the first time
in June. I looked at various
websites (quikbook, hotelres, etc.)
for good rates ($100 - 130) at major
chain hotels.

I found the Hilton at Fisherman's Wharf for $125 a night and thought it was
a good rate since I'll be there in
the summer (high season?) and during
the week (no weekend stay).

Is the Wharf a safe area?
Sharon & Sofia, any particular reasons why you wouldn't stay at the Wharf again?

Any info about lodging at the Wharf
would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 04:31 PM
CAgal

To potential SF visitors. Go to www.biddingfortravel.com and spend a little time learning how to use Priceline. You can get really great rates for SF hotels thru Priceline, but you have to know what you're doing before you bid. It will be time well-spent.

Old Mar 16th, 2002, 02:01 AM
Gregory

Hi bean,

I stayed three nights at the Hilton Fishermans Wharf at the end of February ($119 a night midweek).I would occasionally check the rates and if they fall and if you can change the reservation you may.
The hotel is fine with a fitness room ( but no swimming pool) and is around two blocks to the wharf. The rooms are fine, clean and well decorated with all the usual Hilton amenities ( TV, coffee maker etc) the bathrom is fialry large and well apointed.
There were no problems about safety even at night and did not see anything happening or even remotely dangerous so you should be fine.
They only had a buffet breakfast on one of the days ( but good value at $13). The standard menu is not so good value for money ( cereal/danish/coffee/OJ) came to $15 but you could walk across the road for the breakfast buffet at the Marriott ($16) or down the road to Denny's in the Holiday Inn (dinner is reasonable there) towards the wharf and the F car line along the embarcadero.
I would visit the US Pampanito (WWII submarine), the Liberty Ship, Hyde Street Pier, the sea lions at Pier 39, take a boat trip to Alcatraz and if a fine day hire a bike by blue and gold fleet ticket office and cycle past fort Mason along the bay towards the Golden Gate Bridge ( I cycled across it and the views were magnificent)
Have fun

Old Mar 16th, 2002, 11:41 AM
bean

Hi Gregory,

Thank you for the detailed information.
I really looking forward to my trip!

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 01:11 PM
mt-x

I would also like to thank you Gregory for the info. about the Hilton @ Fisherman's Wharf. I'm going to be in the area in August and I was checking out that hotel. Since I'll be staying over the weekend, the rate is $161 (I checked their website). Not a bad price considering it's the wharf area.

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 01:13 PM
mt-x

Sharon, why didn't you like staying in the Fisherman's Wharf area? Did you have a bad experience? or was it too "touristy"?

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 02:09 PM
RK Simko

We are staying at the Tuscan Inn near Fisherman's Wharf this July. Rate booked through my travel agent were lower than Orbitz deals.

Anyone stayed there? It sounded like a nice compromise location for a family. I think Union Square might be too adult a location for the kids.

-R.S.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 01:14 PM
kam

Tuscan Inn would be my first choice near Fisherman's Wharf and can certainly recommend their restaurant, Il Pescadero. I also think Fisherman's Wharf is the best place to stay with kids, not Union Square which is more shopping and theatre.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 03:59 PM
kal

Ditto on The Tuscan. Stayed there twice and enjoyed. Location is away enough from F'Wharf so you don't get much of the noise especially if you get a room in the back.
Kam's right about the kids in the F'Wharf area vs UnSq...Pier 39 and their arcade/entertainment is a short walk away.

Love the St Francis, especially the old section.
Kal

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 06:14 AM
Rachael

I just returned from a stay at the Grand Hyatt near Union Square and thought it was fine. I really enjoyed the central location that it has and thought that the room was well kept (i.e not run down). Views from the higher floors were quite nice too.