Hotels in NYC

Apr 16th, 2001, 05:53 AM
Christine Defregger

Hotels in NYC

We are planning a trip for one week to NYC in early December. In the meantime I have read so much about hotels and prices and I have noticed that the hotels are very expensive at that time (e.g. The Warwick $375 per night).
I am very interested in your opinions about the following hotels:
The Beacon
Best Western President
Wellington Hotel
Holiday Inn Middtown
Skyline Hotel.
Many thanks for your help.
Christine

Apr 16th, 2001, 06:33 AM
rqf

Have no personal experience with any hotel listed but the following may prove helpful.
Beacon - 75th and Broadway. This is the Upper West Side. 1 1/2 miles north of theater district, a half mile form Lincoln Center. A residential area with lots of restaurants and retail store. Excellent transportation facilities in the area. Comments about this hotel are generally favorable. Could be a good choice.
President - W.48th between Broadway and 8th Avenue. Right in the heart of the midtown area. Have not read much about this place. Good location
Wellington - 55th and 7th Avenue. Good area close to everything. Some friends stayed there many years ago and I did visit. Room, as a recall, was small and quite dark. Certainly would consider it if price was right. Also keep in mind that rooms in most budget hotels are small.
Holiday Inn - not sure which one you mean. There is a Holiday Inn Manhattan that is on W. 57th near 9th Avenue. This place has changed names frequently over the years. Read a few favorable comments when it went under another name. Location is okay - two long blocks to Broadway and then 10 short blocks to theater district.
Subway station five miniutes away.
Skyline - 10th Avenue around 50th Street. Not a very busy area after dark.
Subway a 10 minute walk away. A crosstown bus stop is a short walk from hotel. Least convenient in terms of location to those things of interest in the midtown area.
Suggest you check out Edison Hotel - 47th near Broadway. Great location and have read a number of favorable comments about this hotel.

Apr 16th, 2001, 07:18 AM
The Comptons

Returned last week after staying at the Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel, 8th Ave. and 51st St. Found it quite satisfactory for two seniors and two 14-year-old girls. Rate was $127.20 (kids stay free). It has a good restaurant, travel desk, bellman, and would be similar to a Days or Comfort in size and amenities. You can check the hotel through the Howard Johnson web site.

Apr 16th, 2001, 09:49 AM
Barbara

We have stayed at the Wellington many times. Not fancy, but clean, convenient, and very helpful staff. We love the location--easy walk to both Central Park and Times Square.

Apr 16th, 2001, 10:39 AM
Thyra

Hi Christine, if for some reason you can't get into the hotels you are interested in, around the corner from the Beacon is a hotel called the Milburn, which I found through the Rants and Raves section of this hotel. We stayed there for 3 nights last month, kitchenettes, clean, nice staff, great location, all the rooms recently redone, fitness room.. for $159.00 per night and I would highly recommend it, if your other options fall through.

Apr 17th, 2001, 07:34 AM
Jonathan

I travel to NY a few times a year and often have found great deals using a booking service such as www.quickbook.com or hoteldiscount.com. The advantage of quickbook is that they don't require payment in advance. You just pay at the end of your stay like with a normal reservation. The other thing you should do is check out the specials offered at www.playbill.com. In order to see the special hotel rates, you must register (for free). They often have high end Times Square hotels such as the Marriott Marquis for $189 or so. They also have discounts for Broadway shows, Opera, etc.

Apr 17th, 2001, 03:28 PM
Geoff

Those hotel services are great. Kinda lets you know what your up against in terms of prices.

Someone posted a suggestions for sidestep.com somewhere on Fodor's forum.

I tried it. I had already booked a midtown hotel for a week in May for about $150 per night including tax. I decided to see what Sidestep had. HoJo's midtown for $103 per night and other good prices. I had never heard of the site before. I've added it to my "favorites."