Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hotels in Alexandria, VA, Embassy suites or Holiday Inn Select Old Town?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 06:00 AM
cforza

We are stopping in Alexandria VA. for a night on our way back from SC and am wondering if anyone has stayed at either the Embassy Suites or Holiday Inn Select in Old Town and can give me pros and cons. We have 2 boys, 8 and 11 with us. Is the Embassy Suites too far to walk to the historic district/riverfront? Where would you stay given that they are the same rate? Also, any suggestions for a good restaurant (for kids too), would be appreciated. Thanks for the info!

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 06:26 AM
L

Embassy Suites is across from the subway station, if you plan to see DC. Walking, it is 20 minutes from Old Town east of Washington Street. Holiday Inn is closer to the "action" on King Street, and probably more fun for you and you kids. There are many restaurants close to each. When you get to Alexandria, just ask your concierge about restuarants that line King Street from Emb. Suites east to the river .. there are some in every price range. There are also places to eat behind the Torpedo Facotry at the bottom of King Street. There are sight-seeing boats here as well, and a trip up the river to see DC from the water is worthwhile. You can disembark at Georgetown, see that area and take the next boat back to Alexandria. By the way, since you'll be driving north on 95, be aware of the construction around the interchange that will put you on the beltway toward Alexandria. Normally, you'd exit on US 1 north and turn onto King (west to Emb. Suites or east to Holiday Inn). But if the traffic is jammed, exit at the Eisenhower exit and take it out to Rte 236, then east to Alexandria. You can also exit at 214 north. Take a look at a map. There is often a jam west of the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. Have a nice trip. Ciao

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 06:27 AM
michele

We stayed at the Old Town Alexandria Embassy Suites last winter and highly recommend it. It is right across the street from the Metro, has a great manager's reception at night and full breakfast in the morning. We saw lots of families while we were there and they all seemed to be enjoying it. It is decorated very attractively, very clean and seemed quite new. It has been one of our favorite hotels as we have been traveling quite a bit recently, and we plan to stay there again when we are up that way. Management was very nice about letting us keep our car in their underground lot ($11 a night) even after check out, so we could do more sightseeing and shopping. They have a free shuttle service, which we used to get down to the historic area to eat dinner, as it was late. But I don't think it is really very far. Sorry, I can't tell you anything about the Holiday Inn or restaurants that kid's may like, but I do recommend that particular Embassy Suites. Hope you have a great time.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 06:29 AM
Beth

If this is the Holiday Day Inn right on King Street, and since you are a family looking for just a night's lodging, I would choose this one. It is right in the middle of the old section, just steps from restaurants and shops and maybe 4-5 blocks from the river. I must admit that without checking I don't know where the Embassy Suites is.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 06:44 AM
L

Location of Emb. Suites: On Duke Street (same as 236) ... about 1700 or so. About 1/2 mile west of Washington Street, one mile west of the river. The King Street Metro Station is 100 yds. west. King Street on one block away. Approximately 15 blocks east on King Street is a Holiday Inn, which I am assuming is the one you are considering. There is another one a short distance north of King Street. Locationwise, the major advantage of Emb. Suites is the subway station - both yellow and blue lines stop here, and they get you to DC in 15 minutes. Ciao

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 09:47 AM
cforza

Thanks everyone for the helpful responses! L, will that construction still be going on at the end of August? Thanks again for the detailed response.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 11:59 AM
L

Yep, that construction will be going on for at least the next 5-10 years. They are building the Springfield (Va.) Interchange, widening part of the 495/95 Beltway and building a new 10-lane Wilson Bridge. We are talking billions and billions of dollars and years. So, as you come north on 95 toward Sprinmgfield, stay to your right, and as you approach the Beltway, there may be a sign telling you about traffic conditions. If you decide to take the Beltway toward Alexandria, you have three options for exiting ... see my prior note. Or you may skip the beltway and stay on 95 (it becomes 395) toward DC and exit east (right) onto Rte. 236 ... this will take you to Old Town in 10-15 minutes. You'll see it on a map. Hope this helps. Ciao