Hotels and Location

Dec 1st, 1999, 06:04 PM
Kim B

Hotels and Location

Hello Fellow Travelers,

I am going to NYC in Feb or March with my husband and 15 year old son. We like to stay at nice places at good prices! Don't we all...Need some suggestions for hotels. We would like to be close to as many sights as possible. I have heard the Marriot at Times Square is a good choice. What do you think? We also like to have coffee in the room every morning. Is there a hotel where they have a coffee bar in the lobby where you can get a decent SIZE cup and take it back to the room? Or is there a hotel that you can get room service coffee that doesn't cost $10.00 per pot? Is there a hotel that has club rooms(free coffee and continental breakfast)where your ravenous teenager can get breakfast without getting you out of bed? Need your advise......

Dec 2nd, 1999, 07:30 AM
Michael

The Paramount Hotel is in a great location (235 W. 46th St.) and has trendy decor that your son will love. The rates are great (approx $100 a night). I don't know about the coffee! Happy trails!

Dec 4th, 1999, 07:39 AM
Swinger

Hello Kim.
If you would like to be in Times Square area, The Marriott is a good choice. The hotel is also very close to any musical thearters. I don't know about coffee, but I think you can have at least a coffee machine. Sheraton New York and Sheraton Manhattan (they are also close to Times Square and theater district) have what is called "Club Room" which guests are offered complimentary continental breakfast if you stay in a Club Room. But I have heard Sheraton's rooms are very tiny. Both Marriott and Sheraton are big hotels with more than 1000 rooms. If you prefer smaller hotel, I would recommend, Rihga Royal Hotel, and Le Parker Meridien, but I don't know about coffee in these hotels. I think you should call these hotels to find out about club rooms, and if they have 24 hours room service, even nicer.

Dec 4th, 1999, 08:45 AM
lola

The new Time hotel in the theater district is very small and chic--price is about $200 a night, but you get a fabulous take-it-yourself breakfast off the lobby--all sorts of goodies.

Dec 7th, 1999, 11:47 AM
John

If you are looking for decent sized rooms, the Rihga or Renaissance are good bets. But they will charge you for that $10 pot of coffee. The paramount is a good choice, as it is right next to the Marriott and is much smaller. The rooms can sometimes be small, but ask for a larger one when you reserve. And they have a coffee bar in the lobby, which satisfies your request. Otherwise, there is a starbucks two blocks north of the Marriott.

Dec 7th, 1999, 12:45 PM
lisa

Kim: There is a little coffee shop/carryout just outside the Marriott Times Square that has the best coffee I've ever had in my life. Every time my mom and I go to NYC (we usually stay at the Edison) we make sure to stop at it just because their coffee is so good. I don't know if it's actually part of the Marriott or owned by it or what but I have a feeling it's separate, but my mom thinks it may be a chain that is part of Marriott because she's seen them adjacent to other Marriotts. Yes, the coffee is so good that we've actually discussed this as an issue. I think it's called Ooh La La or something like that. Their baked goods are nothing to write home about but the coffee is (in my opinion) way better than Starbucks. I've only had their regular and decaf but they have flavors too if you're into that, but I won't vouch for those. Gee, I hope the place is still there now that I've gone on about it like this...

And yes, the Marriott is in about the best location imaginable.

Search this Thread