Hotel strange question...

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Norm

Hotel strange question...

Here it goes: my company will pay me two weeks in a Boston( where I 'll be working) 4 star Hotel, but I want to go for a long weekend to NYC.
Should I say anything to the a hotel in Boston, that is, that I will be away for 3 or 4 days ?

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 11:23 AM
xxx

Why not check out for the nights that you're going to be in NYC. And just use the money for lodging in NYC. Your company would be spending the money anyway, so what difference does it make where you are on the weekends?

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Anthony

I would agree with the previous postr.
I had a similar situation,except in Houston, So, for the weekend, I checked out, and used the company travel agent to book a 2 ntstay in San antonio, at a company-approved hotel, at a rate that is the smae or LOWER than the Houston hotel was. If you are expected to be away on the weekend, and the company is paying for food/lodging, it shouldn't matter where you are, as long as you aren't spending MORE than you would have if you stayed in Boston.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Owen O'Neill

All good points and keep in mind that you can probably get weekend specials in NYC that are as cheap or even cheaper than Boston hotel prices (for comparable lodging).

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 12:05 PM
x

Norm,
Does the post office transfer people around now to deliver the mail? Just kidding-weak Cheers joke. Anyway, everyone else is correct. But the answer to your question is that, no, you don't have to say anything to the hotel if you leave stuff in you room. This has happened to me before when I unexpectedly couldn't return from a day trip for awhile.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 12:06 PM
y

Actually, x, Cliff was the postman on Cheers. Norm was the accountant. Jeez! BTW, I miss that show.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 02:59 PM
ttt

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 03:03 PM
irs

Check with your company. The IRS has regulations (not so clear) that may prohibit them or the client from paying for a NYC hotel room, because you are really not in NYC on business (only Boston.)

Companies interpret that rule differently.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 03:31 PM
x

Bit embarrassing story. I once did this, and went off for three nights for a little "extra-marital fling" in another city. When I returned to the hotel, I found that they had called my home to see if there had been any word. My wife had contacted the police and put out an alert for me as a missing person. The maid reported that I had left things there but obviously had not been into the room in three days, so the hotel contacted my home, suspecting foul play. I suggest if you do it, let the hotel know you will be away for a few days. If I had done so, I might still be married.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 04:05 PM
abc

To X:

You really don't get it, do you? You state: "let the hotel know you will be away for a few days. IF I HAD DONE SO, I MIGHT STILL BE MARRIED."

So you put the blame for your no longer being married on the fact that you didn't notify the hotel you'd be away? I see. It wouldn't have had anything to do with the fact that you had a "little extra-marital fling" now would it? Are you that pathetically clueless, or just plain arrogant? Nevermind. I guess you're both. Bet your employer is real proud to have such an upstanding employee on the payroll, especially if you treat your job with the same integrity as your marriage. Looks like the real winner in this situation was your ex-wife, who after worrying sick about you, got to find out just what a louse you are.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 07:13 AM
Larry

Mr. x, just curious, are you so proud of what you did that you felt a need to post about it on a public message board? And why do you assume that Norm is just like you?

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 07:28 AM
toallwomen

To all of us women who are at home working, I guess we now have reason to question our husbands when they are not in their rooms when we call them when they are on a business trip. X-you are a total jerk. I am glad your wife divorced you and I feel sorry for the poor slob that you were having an affair with, you will probably screw around on her too.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 07:34 AM
Norm

X: I am going to NYC to be with... my wife. Well, I just want to know if I should say anything to the hotel in Boston, since I'll be away for three or four days and the room is already paid by my company.
Thanks

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 08:33 AM
xxx3

Well, your wife won't be looking for you, but somebody else might -- I would tell not only the hotel, but also your office and travel agent, in case somebody needs to reach you.

Even if your accountant decides that the company can't pay for your NY hotel, they would probably appreciate you checking out of the Boston hotel IF it saves them $$. Unless, of course, they want to spend more because they're making overhead off a govt. contract!

By the way, I can see why your accountant (or other bean-counter) might technically object, but it's probably still cheaper than sending you home for the wekeend. I've been allowed to do just this -- stay in a different city over the weekend -- while billing a federal govt contract. Their attitude was that you're not expected to officially be onsite or working over the weekend anyway, so they don't care where you stay, especially if it costs them less than sending you home on Friday night and back again on Monday morning!

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 08:37 AM
dejahma

Norm;

My husband travels frequently for long periods of time and sometimes books hotel rooms for several months at a time. If he leaves for just one day he usually does not say anything to the hotel. However, if he is going to be away for several days he tells the front desk and the maids. He does this because in the past the hotel has assumed that he checked out and packed up his stuff and put it in storage. If you say nothing you may come back and find yourself without a room. Be sure you tell the day staff, almost nothing is ever relayed by the night staff to the day staff.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 08:43 AM
sb

I did the VERY same thing this time last year. Stayed at the Lenox in Boston--GREAT. Took the train, and my 'stuff' to NY, and came back--checked back in. Of course, the train trip was on my dime. Did you inquire if they would pay for lodging in NY if you checked out those days you will be in NY? Shouldn't be a prob. Oh, the train ride to NYC isn't bad at all! Enjoyable after a long work week.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 08:45 AM
Andrea

I would mention it to the hotel if you do leave for a few days, why wouldn't you? Aside from possible company objections re paying for the weekend personal travel thing in NY, it's possible they got a special rate with the hotel based on a long-term certain length of occupancy, and you checking out and back might violate that deal. Maybe not, but you never know. However, I'll bet if you are a typical business traveler for two weeks, you may have a lot of business stuff with you and you don't want to check out and lug it around on your weekend jaunt, right?

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 10:35 AM
ttt

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 05:55 AM

To The Top

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 06:25 AM
xxx

As the accountant for my office, I would not pay out on travel reimbursement if one our employess did this. The company is paying your way to Boston for a reason, if you have free time and decide to leave Boston, how is the company responsible for the bill? I would suggest you keep your room, let the staff know that you will be in and out, do not leave any valuables in the room, and then go and do your own thing and don't tell your boss. As I have had to decline travel vouchers for this and other nonsense, I am constantly telling people,what I do not know will not hurt either of us, but receipts, now they don't lie. As for the self rightous assholes on this board who feel the need to castigate the poster who told about his extra marital fling, that marriage was probably already in trouble...who knows what the family dynamics are!! better yet who cares???????????

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO