Search

Hotel room switch

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 1999, 06:57 PM
boiler

Hotel room switch

If you switch hotel rooms because there is something wrong with the first room, should the hotel give you a discounted rate?

Old Oct 19th, 1999, 05:35 AM
Paul Rabe

If by "should," you mean "are legally obligated," the answer is no. As long as a place of lodging gives you a vacant room that means the (rather minimal) legal standards of safety, anything more is a courtesy and desire for repeat business. It never hurts to ask, but you have no leverage if the manager says no. If a room isn't what you were promised, the only legal recourse would be small claims court unless you can show INTENT to defraud (VERY difficult to prove).

I've moved from a room I didn't consider satisfactory on a couple of occasions and never thought to ask for a rate change.

Old Oct 19th, 1999, 05:36 AM
Paul Rabe

If by "should," you mean "are legally obligated," the answer is no. As long as a place of lodging gives you a vacant room that means the (rather minimal) legal standards of safety, anything more is a courtesy and desire for repeat business. It never hurts to ask, but you have no leverage if the manager says no. If a room isn't what you were promised, the only legal recourse would be small claims court unless you can show INTENT to defraud (VERY difficult to prove).

I've moved from a room I didn't consider satisfactory on a couple of occasions and never thought to ask for a rate change.

Old Oct 19th, 1999, 04:21 PM
sandra engley

Have changed rooms 10% of the time. To the management the rooms are equal in size and amenities, however, to my sensitve nose, a non-smoking room sometimes has strange odors, another time the carpet had just been washed it had a chemical smell. Another occasion heard the elevator open and close all night. My dislike was due to personal prefernce, not the hotel's fault, I did not feel that a refund was in order. I don't think they would feel responsible either.

Old Oct 19th, 1999, 05:23 PM
brad

Very broad question.
Obviously there are times when a discount is indicated: you are moved to what is clearly a lesser category (suite downgrade to standard) due to lack of available similar level rooms.
An interesting case is when you get an upgrade due to lack of similar rooms. I've had this experience a few times. You should never be asked to pay MORE.

I take it that your question concerns whether the management should give you a discount as compensation for suboptimal circumstances. They'll occasionally do this if there are genuinely distressing circumstances (usually just comp the room for the night), but for most bothersome but 'within reason' circumstances a good property will simply offer a token such as free meal, special arrangement for next stay, bottle of wine, etc.
The more common situations are often beyond the hotel's control (no nonsmoking rooms left, loud neighbors, equipment out of service, etc.) so a token gesture is plenty and shows good will in my opinion.