Hotel recommendation for LA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2018, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel recommendation for LA

Hi guys,

We would be visiting California end of August,
we will fly in and out from San Diego, planning to stay in SD for 6 days and for 2 days we are planing to be in LA, could you help me in Finding a reasonable and family friendly hotel in LA ? Thank you so much,
so far itinerary is pretty much open, walk of fame, Santa malik Monica pier
Old Aug 2nd, 2018, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

La hotel recommendation

Hi guys,

We would be visiting California end of August,
we will fly in and out from San Diego, planning to stay in SD for 6 days and for 2 days we are planing to be in LA, could you help me in Finding a reasonable and family friendly hotel in LA ? Thank you so much,
so far itinerary is pretty much open, walk of fame, Santa malik Monica pier
Old Aug 2nd, 2018, 01:00 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>reasonable and family friendly hotel
Old Aug 2nd, 2018, 02:01 PM

Need budget in USD per night and will you have a car? Some places have decent public transport, others are very difficult.
It's Santa Monica Pier by the way. Nice area to stay in summer and early fall would be near the beach as it can be 10 degrees cooler or more there.
Old Aug 2nd, 2018, 02:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
visiting Hollywood and the Walk of Fame takes just a couple of hours, there's not really a lot to see and do there. ...Unless you're going to the wax museum or maybe a show at the Hollywood Bowl in the evening. I would stay West, maybe Santa Monica, for the ocean breezes because August can get very hot. However SM hotels are pricey do you have a budget in mind?
Old Aug 2nd, 2018, 07:56 PM

Really not enough information.. reasonable and family need to be defined. Once you start to go over 4 people it limits your options.

I agree that in August you'd want to stay toward the coast although LA really isn't good for hotels ON the beach.

There are a few areas with less expensive options NEAR the beach with might work if you have a car...look around Manhattan Beach/El Segundo which has a number of suites style hotels. Manhattan Beach (and the beach itself) is nicer than Santa Monica anyways. And it's easy access to LAX.

I usually recommend Hyatt House Los Angeles LAX/El Segundo which is near Manhattan Beach Blvd (the border with El Segundo)>

https://elsegundo.house.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html

They have some 2 Bedroom/2 bath suites with a sleeper sofa and a kitchen. Works good for familes. Safe area.

Last edited by mlgb; Aug 2nd, 2018 at 08:02 PM.
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 08:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Is it 2 full days (3 nights) in L.A., or 1+ day (2 nights)??

IMO, Santa Monica in summer is an absolute zoo, especially on weekends. I live in Manhattan Beach which is much less crazy crowded, but if your plan is to spend your very limited time seeing Hollywood, Observatory, Tar Pits, Farmers Market, Rodeo Drive, DTLA, studio tour, whatever, staying at/near any beach town might not be the best logistical plan. Yes, it's cooler at the beach, but you're farther away from the sights. And you won't care if it's cooler at the beach if you're not actually there but sitting in traffic.

So, come back with details about your sightseeing plans, and then we can give you better geographic advice. And, yes, we need to know your budget.
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 09:13 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree that you probably don't want to do the Hollywood visit and the Santa Monica visit in your short amount of time. Unless you enjoy being in a car.

We have stayed several times in Marina del Rey, which is a nice place and close to Santa Monica. You could even walk or bike on the beach pathway to Santa Monica, from Marina del Rey or Venice.

Check out these Pacifica Hotels, where we have stayed: Jamaica Bay Inn, The Inn at Venice Beach, The Kinney. There are also Marriott properties in Marina del Rey.