Hotel on the Strip...

Search

Hotel on the Strip...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2003, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel on the Strip...

I am traveling to LV in June for a concert at the Mandalay Events Center. I have never been to LV before but have researched the hotels extensively. I do not really want to stay at the Mandalay but I am unsure of the walking distance from a "middle strip" hotel.

I am considering:

Luxor
NY
Mirage

Any comments on hotel choice and walking distance are appreciated!

Thanks
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 08:34 AM

The distance from mid-strip (Paris/Aladdin area) to Mandalay Bay is probably close to a 35-45 minute walk.

The hotels you listed are all quite different, what is it you are looking for in a hotel, as that would be the criteria i use for a recommendation. What is it about MB that you don't want to stay there (price is an acceptable answer)

Of your list, Mirage is my favorite, although it's also the furthest from MB (probably close to an hour's walk, but a cab should be <$10). An earlier post said that many of the monorails were closing down for renovations, but if avialable, you could always walk from Mirage to Bally's in order to take the monorail to MGM. Then from MGM you can walk to Excalibur and take the monorail from Exaclibur to MB. Not as difficult as it sounds, but also not the most convenient (but it is free
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 08:46 AM

Don't let the walking distance stop you from staying at Mandalay. By far the best of all your listed hotels! Besides, in June, you want want to be walking to much outside, you will either want to be pool-side or in Air Conditioning! Cabs are plentiful,even if lines seem long, go fast. The pools at Mandalay are incredible, restaurants are wonderful, nightlife, gambling, etc are first rate! The only thing they don't have is shopping. What concert are you attending?
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 08:49 AM

Luxor is right next to MB but we stayed there a couple of times & it's relatively quiet. NY & Mirage attract tons of what I call "near deads", those people who wander aimlessly, without purpose or direction. Of the 3 you're considering, though, Mirage is most central. And probably the most reasonably priced as well.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 10:19 AM

I was in Vegas last October, and stayed at the MGM Grand. I would not recommend staying there. The rooms were nothing fancy and our only view was of the roof with those green lights shining up in your face. Awful! We couldnt see anything of the strip from our room. Also, the hotel is soooo big it takes forever to get from your room out to the lobby. (They were working on the elevators at the time - so that didnt help) The walk from Mandalay Bay to mid-strip is a good 30 minutes. You probably wont want to walk it often in June!
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great info...This info is exactly what I am looking for..I had no idea it was so far of a walk from the middle strip to the Mandalay...

Nothing against the Mandalay..but unless the rates drop, I was not going to spend that much on a room....

Of the 3 hotels i mentioned, Luxor was the cheapest but not by much...

What about the Treasure Island at the Mirage??

I am going to the Pearl Jam concert...for those interested

Keep the comments coming!!
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 10:48 AM

I think Kristy said it best. MB is worth staying at especially if that is where the show is (did you mean MB's event center?). they have the best pool, the rooms are great.

By the way, MB and Luxor are attached by monorail and by an underground tunnel type thing, NY is 2 hotels north of MB. Mirage is much farther up the strip.

I think people are exagerrating the walk time. I didn't time myself but it sure didn't seem like it took 45 minutes to walk between resorts (Venetian to Paris).

I would suggest you stay at MB and take a cab to the places you want to see. or stay at luxor (much cheaper, not as nice, but within walking distance to MB)
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 11:30 AM
Brutforce

I highly suggest MB but since this is your first trip, what about Paris. It should meet your location requirements but isn't in the same price range as the Belage or Venetian.

Old Jan 30th, 2003, 11:54 AM

Pearl Jam in Vegas, very cool! Perhaps you could do Priceline or Hotwire and let that be your guide and low-ball a 4 star resort, just to see! My parents just got a room on Hotwire for the Venetian for $119!!!
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 11:58 AM

I got a $99 room at venetian on hotwire as well, try that!
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 12:06 PM

Wow, you guys need to listen (or read) a little more closely. Jester said twice that MB is out, it's too expensive. If you want center Strip but not too expensive try Bally's, Paris, Aladdin, Flamingo or even Monte Carlo. All except MC are on the opposite side of the street from Mandalay Bay. Personally I like Paris, but stayed at Bally's with a super cheap rate once, and their rooms are larger than most. If you really want to stay close to MB, I think Luxor is a little better than NY NY....which seems to attact tons of families.

The walk isn't really that far, but remember in June the temps will be over 100 for sure and possibly over 110. And don't believe all that BS about a dry heat....it's cooking out there!

I'll be there in early June....when is the concert? I love Pearl Jam.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

I do plan on waiting a month or so before booking anything, unless a deal presents itself or airfare falls.

I did not mention that I would be in LV from 6/6 - 6/9, just a quick weekend. The show is on Friday night at the MB events center.

The final decision on hotel/air will ultimately come down to convenience, with price a close second.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 01:53 PM
JES

Mandalay Bay is a great hotel, bad location. For central strip, Venetian has best rooms on entire strip (my opinion--I've seen them all) but worst pool (slab of concrete on roof). Caesars would be on the top of the list. Great location, shopping, and my favorite pool.
Mirage--same as above--don't like the pool area as much although still great.
Treasure Island--very nice rooms--all re-done, but pool boring.
Bellagio--if you can get a good deal, great place to stay. Beautiful rooms, pool, etc.
Luxor--nice, but far from center.
MGM--forget it.
NY--not as nice as above mentioned.
Hope this helps.