Search

Hotel North of NYC

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel North of NYC

We want to spend one saturday night in a hotel outside of NYC, mainly to keep the price down, we'll be bringing our 2 year old to the Bronx zoo on a saturday, then a trip into the city on sunday to see Gregory Colberts Ashes and Snow photo exhibit (I'm a photographer myself), and maybe some other site seeing as well. So we are looking for an inexpensive hotel somewhere in the suburbs of nyc, preferably north of the city in westchester near the saw mill or sprain parkway so access to the zoo is easy with our car.
Any suggestions?

Old Apr 20th, 2005, 07:53 AM

One suggestion would be to stay at the Crabtree Kittle House (B&B) in Chappaqua. I have never stayed at the Inn but I have had dinner and brunch there on a few occasions and it was enjoyable. It is close to the Saw Mill as well as the train station, if you were thinking of taking the train into the city.

Here's the link to the Inn

http://www.lanierbb.com/search/link....s+Kittle+House

As far as hotels go, there's the Westchester Marriott (close to 287) and the Tarrytown Marriott (not far from the Saw Mill) - I don't know if there are parking fees.

I'm sure others will have something to add. Have a great trip!
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 08:36 AM

There are a slew of hotels and motels in the Tarrytown area. Do a google search. It'll be very convenient to drive from there to Bronz Zoo and take the train to the city. Parking at the railroad station is free on weekends.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 09:11 AM

Not sure where you are coming from that you need to spend the night, but if you really want to save money, here is what I would do--
Skip the bronx zoo. I was there on Saturday and it was, pardon the pun, a zoo. Very long lines for shuttle train, monorail, etc. At 2 years old, your child won't know the difference between the Bronx petting zoo and the Central Park petting zoo. So, I would drive in, and do the exhibit first (excellent by the way) while your child is either napping or just not restless yet, and then drive uptown and let him go nuts in the zoo and the playground in the park for the afternoon.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 10:54 AM

bugswife makes a reasonable point. The Central Park zoo may be just the right size for a 2-year-old. Yes, it has a petting zoo for youngsters, but it also has some great exhibits for all ages, including polar bears, seals, and penguins (all can be viewed from under water), a rain forest building, monkeys, and more. Nearby in Central Park is a great carousel. I love the Bronx zoo, but for a 2-year-old an hour or two in a smaller place might be enough. Sorry I can't help with the hotels. . .
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 11:11 AM

As other posters have said, there is a slew of hotels both in Tarrytown or White plains. Both towns also have Metro North service to NYC.

There are Several types of Marriotts, A Hilton, and everything in between. Google Westchester hotels.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 11:52 AM

I'm not going to try and talk you out of going to the Bronx Zoo, but I will say that on a beautiful day, such as today in NY, the parking lot fills up quickly. Plan to go EARLY (as in when it opens up), even if you end up only staying a couple of hours - to me, it's worth it.