Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hotel near SF with BART access and free parking

Nov 15th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

We are heading to the Bay Area in December - flying into San Jose and planning to spend a couple of days exploring SF which we've done before but this time will have our 7yo DD with us. We would like to find a family friendly hotel (suite) near SF that would allow for reasonable BART access into the city and inexpensive or free overnight parking. I'm not sure where to even begin looking... any ideas? Thanks.
Nov 15th, 2009, 02:11 PM

You might look in Emeryville at the Woodfin Suites. Since you will have a car it is a short drive to a variety of BART stations and you can then park and ride away!!
Nov 15th, 2009, 02:18 PM

Also google emerygoround which is a free shuttle to and from the MacArthur BART station. It may be a ten minute BART ride into SF from there.
Nov 15th, 2009, 03:19 PM

I would check the many hotels near SFO .keep in mind tho that BART from the airport is now $7+ per person each way....
Nov 15th, 2009, 04:37 PM

There are motels with free parking in the city, good public transport access, though not BART. Would you consider this? If yes, check out hotels on Van Ness @ Lombard (approximate area)

Type "san francisco free parking" in the search window here on Fodor's.
Nov 15th, 2009, 04:39 PM

So with $42 in BART tix per day just to get to and from wouldn't staying in the city pay off? You can park in the lot at Mason & Ofarrell near union square for $29 per day. It's clean and easy to get into and out of. You can usually get the Hilton across the street from th parking agarage for pretty good prices too.

Then you're only 1 block off Powell. Near the Cable Car, Union Square and you can actaully walk to China town as well.
Nov 15th, 2009, 06:48 PM

Are you planning to drive from San Jose to San Francisco, and then you want to keep your car (I'm just not sure what your plan is)? You could give up the car altogether in San Francisco -- then if you're leaving from SFO just take BART to the airport on departure day. Or do you need the car in San Francisco?
Nov 15th, 2009, 07:46 PM

We do need more info to give the best advice. But in general both Dayenu's and Suzie's suggestions make more sense than staying outside of SF.

If you need a car, there are decent motels in SF that have free parking - or - paying for parking could be cheaper than commuting back and forth on BART.
Nov 15th, 2009, 09:54 PM

Lots of hotels have specials including parking, for example, The Palace Hotel, which is where I might want to stay if I were a seven year old girl.

http://specialoffers.starwoodhotels....lace/local.htm

The Kimpton Hotels have a lot of charm, and many have free parking offers. They also will lend you a goldfish during your stay.

For just a couple of days, I think staying in San Francisco would be a lot more fun than outside the city.

Although you don't need a car in the city, there are places that are easier to get to with a car, including the Exploratorium and the zoo, the Legion of Honor museum (in a beautiful area), and Golden Gate Park.
Nov 16th, 2009, 06:56 AM

You could even totally skip the car by taking CalTrain from San Jose to SF. There's a short, free shuttle from the airport to the CalTrain station. When you get off the train in SF you can take public transportation or a taxi to your hotel.
Nov 16th, 2009, 10:33 AM

I think Dayenu is talking about the Cow Hollow Motor Inn and its sister properties. I stayed there several years ago and there is free parking, walking distance to many restaurants and access to public transporation. You are not far from the marina area and it is safe. My biggest peeve was the early trash pick up and hearing the large vehicles.

http://www.cowhollowmotorinn.com/
Nov 16th, 2009, 11:10 AM

If I were doing this, I'd wait and rent a car on the way out of SF, and you'll likely be able to drop off at the airport without a fee and won't have to worry about it in the city. But there are quite a few places in SF that offer free or inexpensive parking (not hotels around Union Square or Nob Hill, but in relatively convenient locations).
Nov 16th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's help! We are flying into San Jose (long story) and renting a car at the airport which must be returned to that airport - quote doubled to return it anywhere else, including the San Francisco airport!

I had assumed it would be cheaper to stay outside of SF and travel in via public transportation - cheaper hotel, no parking fee, would offset the cost of public transport. But I will definitely look into hotels with free or inexpensive parking in the city. We don't necessarily need the car in the city. We are heading south after SF, down the coast and ending up in OC to visit my parents.
Nov 16th, 2009, 11:56 AM

OK, now this makes sense! I would definitely look at the motels in the Lombard/Marina area that offer free parking. When you're in the city, if you're going somewhere that would be easier by car, you can use it (that would not include dinner in North Beach ), but generally you won't need it while in SF. Plan to drive south after 9:30 a.m. or you'll hit MAJOR traffic.
Nov 16th, 2009, 12:24 PM

Try the Columbus Motor Inn - www.columbusmotorinn.com - or the Marina Motel - www.marinamotel.com Both have free parking.

We stayed in a family room at the Marina Motel a couple of years ago; we had one queen bed in one room and another in a slightly smaller bedroom. These rooms face Lombard, so there is some traffic noise, but it wasn't too bad.

Lee Ann
Nov 16th, 2009, 12:35 PM

BTW, the motels that have been mentioned are all in walking distance of both Union Street (a couple of blocks south) and Chestnut Street (a block north) both of which have great strolling, dining and shopping options.
Nov 16th, 2009, 01:24 PM

I now agree with all those recommending you stay near the Marina.
Nov 16th, 2009, 01:26 PM

I think you can visit a lot of neat stuff by car.

- Golden Gate Park
- Crissy Field & Ft Point (we were there yesterday)
- Presidio
- Noe Valley
- Haight/Ashbury (but parking spaces are scarce)
- Ocean Beach
- Golden Gate Bridge/GGNRA viewpoints north of bridge, and Marin Headlands
- Lands End Trail
- Fillmore St Shops (bewteen Jackson & Bush)
- Postcard Row Victorians from Alamo Square
- Union St & Chestnut Street shops (unless you are staying on Lombard - where you can walk to these)

Just to name a few.

Note that all of these are west of Van Ness. East of Van Ness you'll fine the parking & driving more difficult.

My other suggestions:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35129049

Stu Dudley
Nov 21st, 2009, 11:25 PM

I live in SF right by those Motor Inns, they are not that nice and I rather be downtown.

I would actually use priceline and get a nice hotel downtown. To check out what you will get and what you should bid look at this site. http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/for...Francisco.html You can get a 4 star hotel for $80. I love that site.

If you want to park for free, you can park at the Marina Green. I never have seen a ticket there and I park there all the time late at night to go running. Otherwise, with a little googling, I bet you can find a place for 20 bucks a day downtown.
Nov 22nd, 2009, 07:15 AM

I you park your car at the Marina Green, it is pretty far away from downtown if you stay downtown.

galaxygrrl - does the Marina Green area have 2 hr sticker parking during work days??

Stu Dudley

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO