Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hotel Monaco, Villa Florence or another hotel in San Francisco?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I live in the East Bay Area and are planning on spending one night in the City. We have tickets to Jersey Boys at the Curran Theater. I would like to be able to walk to a nice restaurant for dinner and to and from the theater. Since we live so close to the City and usually only visit for the day, I'm not sure where to stay. I have checked Trip Advisor, etc. but there is always one or two posts that make me shy away from the hotel. I know a few complaints aren't a big deal but comments about bed bugs, etc. are a bit much for me.
I'm looking for a hotel that has some charm, is VERY clean, is in a good location for walking to the The Curran Theater and is under $250.00. Is the Hotel Monaco worth spending more on than Villa Florence? Would the Chancellor, the Cornell (my Mother in-law likes this hotel), the Orchard Hotel, the Orchard Garden Hotel (newer sister hotel) or another hotel be better for us considering what we are looking for?
I would really appreciate your thoughts and feedback since we are going this Saturday. It's short notice, but it appears that the hotels I mentioned have available rooms. Thank you very much!
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 08:39 PM

The Monaco is my favorite hotel. Period. LoveItaly shared that the Villa Florence are being sold by the Kimpton group of hotels, but she absolutely loves the Villa Florence. You can't go wrong with either.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 09:30 PM

Hello CVerga, as Starrsville stated I always stay at the Villa Florence. But a few days ago the SF Chronical said that the Villa Florence which has been owned by the Kimpton Group (which the Hotel Monaco is also) was being sold.

I just called the Villa Florence and was on the phone with them for over ten minutes. They are now owned by the LarkSpur Group..I have no idea who that is but they are investors from Marin County. I was told by two employees at the Villa Florence that there will be no changes due to the change of ownership of the VillaFlorence and their attached restaurant which is Kuleto's, except for reservations. One will know need to phone the hotel directly to make their reservation. The phone no. is 1-415-397-7700

Personally I will stay there again and will see what changes if any take place. I hope it stay the same as I have always enjoyed the Villa Florence.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 10:04 PM
mjs

There are alot of hotels within walking distance to the Curran Theatre and nearby restaurants. I assume you will also need parking which will add about $40 to your cost and there is something like 14% tax so to stay under $250 you will want a room rate somewhere around $175. Priceline may be your best bet as long as you are not super selective about which hotel you get. I have only stayed at the Villa Florence among the hotels on your list and would rate it as a solid 3 star hotel. I have heard that the Monaco is nicer but have not stayed there myself.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 12:02 AM

I have been to Villa Florence but not the Monaco. I'd say the Monaco hands down given what I read on their website!
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 08:35 AM

I Love, love, love the Monaco in SF. I always heard from my husband how great it was (he only stays in Monaco's when there is one in a city he has business in), and I finally got to find out why.

The staff is so friendly and accomodating, the onsite reataurant is beautiful, I love the complimentary cocktail hour in front of the fireplace and the interior design is super.

See if they have any "hot dates/rates" for the days you are staying, or call the hotel direct, Kimptons are usually open to negotiating.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 08:38 AM

I just checked the Monaco's website, a queen deluxe this Saturday is $219, and a queen canopy (I DON'T recommend, it's a tiny room) is $199.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 08:40 AM

Have you considered taking BART rather than paying for parking?
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your feedback. If I stayed at the Monaco it would be in the Queen canopy room and based on Nina's post it is a tiny room. The AAA rate is $189. Can anyone tell me more about the Serrano, Prescott or Palomar? Are they close to the Curran Theater and would you recommend them over a small room at the Monaco? Despite the change of ownership, I'm still looking at the Villa Florence. Does anyone know how it compares to the properties I listed above?
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

If we did take BART in, would any of the hotels I've asked about be a better option?
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 09:52 AM

I've stayed at the Serrano and the Palomar...of the two, I much preferred the Palomar (the rooms were bigger and just felt nicer and fresher), but I'm looking at Kimpton hotels for a stay in March and it looks like the Palomar is much more expensive than the Serrano these days. Our room at the Serrano was cute, but TINY. Even though it's refurbished, it just had a very OLD feeling to it as far as the halls, rooms and bathrooms go. But the lobby is fun and a cool place to hang out plus it's right in the theater district whereas the Palomar is a bit of a walk (although not *that* far). I have stayed at the Monaco also and really liked it (but I was in one of their bigger rooms with a spa tub).
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 10:05 AM

Hi CVerga, if you take BART and get off at the Powell St BART station the Villa Florence is just a couple of blocks up Powell (going north of course as Powell ends at Market St). The Hotel Monaco is just a few more blocks..at Powell and Geary turn left and walk the couple of blocks to the Monaco.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 10:11 AM

I got one of the small, cheap rooms at the Monaco from a discount website. When I got there, the hotel automatically upgraded me to a bigger room without my even asking for it. I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, because there is no guarantee of an upgrade, but I wanted to give kudos to the hotel, I would gladly stay there on my next visit. The hotel, staff, everything was wonderful.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 11:02 AM

Of the two hotels you are considering I have stayed at the Serrano and The Chancellor. I have no complaints about either. The Chancellor is very clean and the service is very friendly. The Serrano is a little nicer (updated) but I did not care for the location. My husband and I are also visiting San Francisco to see the Jersey Boys and I did book a room at The Monaco, although I have only visited it and had breakfast there. It is beautiful inside and I have heard such good things about it, we decided to splurge a little. Also, it is very close to the Curran.

Do any of you have restaurant recommendations within walking distance of The Monaco and The Curran? We were thinking of having dinner at Scala's but would love to have some other recommendations. Thanks!
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 07:13 PM

If you stay at the Monaco, definitely eat at the Grand Cafe. Amazing space, good food and great waitstaff - at least when I was there.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 08:17 PM

And if you stay at the Villa Florence, have dinner at Kuleto's. We love it. We are seeing "Jersey Boys" next week, and are having dinner at le Colonial---which is very near the theater. I hope you enjoy the show---I can't wait!
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 08:33 PM

We stayed at the San Francisco Marriott last summer for our anniversary. We got a city view room on the 21st floor. The view was really beautiful. We had never stayed in a highrise -- very different.

I had told them it was a special occasion, and we got a corner room; I believe that was a free upgrade. Right now the city view rooms are $209 on the website. We walked to Union Square for a show at a blues cafe, and did not find it far.

The decor in our room was classy, neutrals, nice coverings etc. Parking is expensive there, about $40 a night. We took Bart from the airport.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 06:47 AM

The Maxwell and Hotel Diva are also in the theatre district (across from the Curran), and could be an option. I think they are a little less than the Hotel Monaco.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 04:47 AM

I second the recommendation for the Grand Cafe restaurant at the Monace, the room is so beautiful!

If you go, request a booth at the far end, that way you can look over the whole restaurant. Oh and the food's good too.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for you input! I was out of commission yesterday, since I have caught one of the nasty cold/flu bugs going around. At least I'll be well by Saturday! I just need to keep my husband and kids from getting sick. This morning I looked over my choices again and decided to go with the Monaco. It seemed like the best fit for me. I booked the queen room with canopy (even though it's small) for $169. That was the best rate plus an additional 15% off with the Kimpton Winter Promotion. If the room is too small we'll upgrade, but I really like the look of the canopy bed.
So, now all I need to do is make dinner reservations. The Grand Cafe sounds very nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -