Hotel Information for San Francisco

Aug 29th, 2000, 09:16 AM
Tracy Loeffler

Hotel Information for San Francisco

I would like to take my family to San Francisco between X-mas and New Years. Can you recommend either of these hotels: 1) Pacific Inn 2) Comfort Motor Inn 3) Marina Inn 4) Travelodge at the Wharf 5) King George 6) San Remo Inn. We need two rooms so do not want to pay more than $100 for each. Also, I have 21 and 23 year old boys - what do you recommend to itinerary for 3 days?
Thanks...Tracy

Aug 29th, 2000, 03:55 PM
terry

I can't recommend any of these hotels but I can recommend the Columbus Motor Inn, AAA 3 star. (415-885-1492) There is no pool but in Dec. you probably won't want one. It was centrally located between North Beach and Fisherman's Wharf on Columbus. Parking is FREE, unlike most hotels. We were there the first week in Jan, we booked a 2 room suite for $129, that slept 6. Their regular room rate was $89, for a large room. We stayed on the 3rd floor and had a view of Coit Tower and Alcatraz. Buy a muni pass and leave your car in the parking lot.

We did go and look at the San Remo. It had allot of character and you shared a bath. I'd stay there if I were alone. Hostel like atmosphere,but quiet and rooms were small.

You don't mention what your boys would like but our 18 yr old loved
the City Light's Bookstore
Alcatraz (reserve tickets now!!!)
Museum of Modern Art
Sony Metreon
Haight Ashbury
Riding cable cars
Hard Rock Cafe
Walking the Golden Gate Bridge
North Beach at night
Chinatown

check out www.sftravel.com it was invaluable in planning out trip. e-mail me if you have any questions

Aug 30th, 2000, 11:39 AM
kam

Terry's suggestions are all good. I'm partial to the San Remo because it has a bit of history and because of it's location in North Beach rather than on "motel row". Since both of your boys can visit bars, would recommend a look at the bar at Farrallon (for the decor), a bar meal at Jardiniere, Kuleto's or Absinthe, Beach Blanket Babylon show, go down to Valencia Street for great Mexican, Gordon Biersch on Harrison for a brewpub and garlic fries or Mad Dog in the Fog for English pub type place. Campo Santo in North Beach also appeals to kids of that age. To fill them up--Mo's Burgers, Doidge's for breakfast, Fog City Diner,and Bepple's Pies on Union Street. They might also like to go over to Berkeley to see Cal's campus. Alcatraz is great but know that the weather might be iffy and it will certainly be cold either there or walking the GG Bridge.

Aug 31st, 2000, 06:48 AM
topper

Oct 8th, 2000, 12:10 PM
Tracy Loeffler

I just want to thank you for replying to my e-mail. With my family only being in San Francisco 3 days we didn't want to make any mistakes with wasting our time. I know it will probably be only about 55 degrees there at the time we will be visiting but I am hoping we can still enjoy walking around. Did you ever eat at the Cliff House? Did you see Beach Blanket Babylon? Is it a comedy or drama? Where do I get tickets. If you find the time, please respond, otherwise, thanks..Tracy

Oct 8th, 2000, 12:19 PM
Patrick

You might want to check Cow Hollow Suites on Chestnut (backs to Lombard's Cow Hollow Motel.) It has two bedroom, two bath suites with kitchen and huge fireplace living room. Last year we paid just over $200 for the whole thing, including parking. (There is a discount if you stay over 5 days, which we did.) It is a wonderful bargain if you need two rooms, but they may already be filled for then.
As to Beach Blanket Babylon, it like nothing you have ever seen. Basically a musical revue, very funny, and a little bit dirty, but fun. Dozens of popular songs mainly from the 50's to 80's cleverly worked into an outrageous story about Snow White going in search of Prince Charming. The whole thing feature huge hat/costumes, and the Christmas version is incredible, especially the ending with the most amazing headpiece you ever saw. It is a don't miss, and unless the 20 year olds are the type who can't stand to hear "golden oldies" type music, I guarantee they would love it too.

Search this Thread